U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2019, 05:31 AM

6,751 posts, read 3,741,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Has anyone ever read the book, “Fahrenheit 451?” We’re getting there - soon, people won’t even get to say the truth or think differently for fear someone may get offended.
It’s getting to be more like a combination of 1984 and the first half of Atlas Shrugged...

Old 09-29-2019, 07:16 AM

2,622 posts, read 1,168,087 times
[quote=caribny;56280008][quote=BBMW;56279946]In general (not you in particular) I can call someone anything I want. Remember the whole sticks and stones thing.

Quote:

Do I have a right to call the cops because I want to have you treated as a child molester? Oh yes you can then spend time and money and anguish proving that you aren't.

But its perfectly fine for you to put an immigrant into the same stress by calling them illegal and then calling ICE.

I suspect that lost in your rage you cannot see the parallels as you believe that those who you despise aren't entitled to the same rights that you are, but it can go both ways.

I just hope that some female doesn't pull a #MeToo against you because you accidentally brushed against her butt on the subway.
Here, read up on slander laws before you run off at the mouth about it. It only takes a few minutes.

Are Reports to the Police Protected from Defamation Suits? – Slaw

And you know that this law is going to be struck down for violating the U.S. Constitution, right? If you have a problem with that then you should have found a different country to move to.

Old 09-29-2019, 07:42 AM

21,818 posts, read 28,918,696 times
Well, I think of the final scene of Fahrenheit 451 when I walk on Third Avenue and see all the automatons babbling into their phones or earbud microphones.
But instead of saying "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times" it's "Honey, I'll be home in 3 minutes: I picked up the butter."

The best comparison with F451 is the prevalence of video cameras everywhere watching everyone but I am entirely ready for some happy pills 24/7 and for those two, three and four wall TV's.

On the "illegal alien" question the most ridiculous factor is the concept of "motivated by hate." So now governmental clerks are going to decide people's MOTIVATION????

Last edited by Kefir King; 09-29-2019 at 07:51 AM..

Old 09-29-2019, 10:05 AM

2,817 posts, read 2,389,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Well, I think of the final scene of Fahrenheit 451 when I walk on Third Avenue and see all the automatons babbling into their phones or earbud microphones.
But instead of saying "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times" it's "Honey, I'll be home in 3 minutes: I picked up the butter."

The best comparison with F451 is the prevalence of video cameras everywhere watching everyone but I am entirely ready for some happy pills 24/7 and for those two, three and four wall TV's.

On the "illegal alien" question the most ridiculous factor is the concept of "motivated by hate." So now governmental clerks are going to decide people's MOTIVATION????

That doesn’t surprise me. Even conservative minorities are called white supremacists.
Anyway, I wonder if New York has a chance of being red.

Old 09-29-2019, 10:07 AM

13,128 posts, read 6,757,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
[/b]

That doesn’t surprise me. Even conservative minorities are called white supremacists.
Anyway, I wonder if New York has a chance of being red.
Yep, I was called a "white supremacist" (I'm black) by far left loons on Facebook for expressing happiness that President Trump won in 2016

Old 09-29-2019, 10:45 AM

1,107 posts, read 589,699 times
The idiots running NYC & NY state care more about illegal aliens than citizens. I'm an immigrant myself and I'm disgusted by this stupid law which will be struck down soon.

Old 09-29-2019, 12:27 PM

1,391 posts, read 1,181,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Yep, I was called a "white supremacist" (I'm black) by far left loons on Facebook for expressing happiness that President Trump won in 2016
Same
Then when they find out I'm Latino, they call me a sellout and boot licker.

But it's fine because we are forced to secretly still vote for Trump and are forced to not tell family or friends which way we lean.

This is what happened in 2016, the Silent Minority pushed him over the edge to win. All of the Hillary Lovers were like "That's Impossible" because they never hear anyone around them favor trump (Us silent minority).

But when we pull that curtain behind us and vote the way we want, freely, it makes them bonkers because the outcome doesn't calculate correctly in their minds.

Old Yesterday, 09:12 AM

21,818 posts, read 28,918,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
Same
Then when they find out I'm Latino, they call me a sellout and boot licker.

But it's fine because we are forced to secretly still vote for Trump and are forced to not tell family or friends which way we lean.

This is what happened in 2016, the Silent Minority pushed him over the edge to win. All of the Hillary Lovers were like "That's Impossible" because they never hear anyone around them favor trump (Us silent minority).

But when we pull that curtain behind us and vote the way we want, freely, it makes them bonkers because the outcome doesn't calculate correctly in their minds.
"pushed him over the edge to win?" Only edge he was pushed over was the edge of sanity. He LOST by 3 million votes. Babbling about voting has little to do with current U.S. elections...Don't confuse the U.S. with a democracy.

Old Yesterday, 09:49 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,020,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
I am a Caribbean person who has been a US citizen for almost 30 years. Clearly I have an accent that marks me as an immigrant.

Does that give you authority to call me an illegal alien ...
No. Rather, it's the First Amendment that gives people the "authority" to call you an illegal alien -- or anything else they want.

They don't even have to be correct. Anyone can call anyone else any name they want. It's called free speech.

Yes, even "hate speech" is legal under the First Amendment. The Supreme Court says so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Does that give you authority to ... threaten ICE because you become angry with me?

While the city might be a bit harsh in its penalties people do NOT have the right to act as judge and jury. One's legal status is the purview of the person involved and ICE/CBP and NO ONE ELSE!

Calling ICE, or threatening to call ICE, is NOT "acting as judge and jury."

Everyone has the right to call relevant authorities if they think a crime has been committed.

Calling the police because you think someone is a burglar, or calling the IRS because you think someone is a tax cheat, or calling ICE because you think someone is an illegal alien -- is NOT "acting as judge and jury." You're still leaving the verdict and punishment (if any) to an actual judge and jury.

Indeed, most police and regulatory agencies have anonymous tip hotlines. It's not only legal to report suspicions of wrongdoing. It's encouraged.

Old Yesterday, 10:01 AM

2,817 posts, read 2,389,162 times
I don't know why the media keeps insisting that Trump is against legal immigrants. That is not the case at all! But the media simply uses the term, "immigrants" as if everyone who came here legally or not are the problem. This is incorrect. The ones who are the subject of controversy are the ones who are not entering through the legal port of entry and are thus undocumented/ illegal, etc.

And the question is - if people cannot provide documents, then that may mean there is criminal background, infectious disease or an inability to sustain themselves, hence a drain on taxpayer money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City