U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Today, 10:31 AM

98 posts, read 78,050 times

Advertisements

So the term "illegal alien" is banned when it is used with "intent to demean, humiliate or harass a person". I'm a millennial who grew up in a conservative part of CA. In the past, I would use the term illegal alien in a descriptive way and it appears that this wouldn't fall foul of this new law. Since moving to the east coast, I've started saying undocumented alien because I don't like offending people. My views on immigration still remain more conservative than the average New Yorker but I still think it's nice not to threaten people generally or make people fear for the government coming and dragging them out of their homes.

All that said, it will be interesting how this law is viewed constitutionally. I'm not a constitutional scholar by any means but I know a bit. Free speech doesn't give someone the right to say fire in a theater. Free speech doesn't allow you to threaten or harass someone without consequences.

Old Today, 10:37 AM

1,088 posts, read 1,302,285 times
you can say anything you want, you just can't threaten them with deportation if you have power over them.

Old Today, 10:38 AM

310 posts, read 77,427 times
Who remembers this old gem by Phil Collins and Genesis?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_61hzuGGJX0

Old Today, 11:27 AM

2,230 posts, read 694,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
NYC & LA should just become their own country, they are so far left that they might as well be. Seems the far left wants to control everything we say, eat or publish.
Yep. They are authoritarians

Old Today, 11:57 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,020,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirledpeas0 View Post
Free speech doesn't allow you to threaten or harass someone without consequences.

But the First Amendment does allow you to insult or offend people.

Insulting someone is not harassment. Calling someone an illegal alien is not harassment.

To be harassment, the insults have to be severe and persistent. You have to pursue or follow that person, keep calling them on the phone, keep pestering them daily at work.

And if someone is here illegally, they are illegal. That's what the word means.

Old Today, 12:22 PM

8 posts, read 49 times
One could also say that a lot of USA citizens are in fact "offended" by illegals being here as they are all continuously breaking the laws. They are here in the country illegal and breaking laws persistently. They are persistently breaking the laws surrounding everyone here, and it is insulting how they persistently make ways to blame everyone else for their crimes. Their illegal activity is persistently insulting for all of the people who are here legally. It is severe because it is persistent criminal activity done by millions of people so the amount of criminals justifying their criminal behavior is simply massive. It is insulting to have criminals here persistently breaking the laws.

Old Today, 04:21 PM

1,534 posts, read 862,707 times
I mean I got the right to say some looks like a border jumping illegal, or a creepy neckbeard chimo but,

...what I hope the intent here is is to protect against the legally damaging slander of saying a person actually IS one of the things, and the resulting ruination that tries to occur, y'know like what they tried to do Kavanaugh, or worse yet any husband going through a bitter divorce where the wife will say anything, no matter how verifiably false to get the man arrested. That's bullcrap.

I can actually sympathize with Spanish speaking people not wanting ICE at their door just because someone heard the speak Spanish. I know a lot of Spanish speaking homeowners, been here for generations with respectable jobs whose tax burdens alone are higher than a lot of "American" gross incomes (looking at multi-generational never-employed project ghetto types).

In that context, it does not seem like such an affront. However, I don't trust Democrats and, predict it's really just a stab at the First Ammendment, to protect their beautiful, delicate feelings. In that case, it's my god-given right to say YOU SUCK!

Old Today, 04:24 PM

8 posts, read 1,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
I mean I got the right to say some looks like a border jumping illegal, or a creepy neckbeard chimo but,

...what I hope the intent here is is to protect against the legally damaging slander of saying a person actually IS one of the things, and the resulting ruination that tries to occur, y'know like what they tried to do Kavanaugh, or worse yet any husband going through a bitter divorce where the wife will say anything, no matter how verifiably false to get the man arrested. That's bullcrap.

I can actually sympathize with Spanish speaking people not wanting ICE at their door just because someone heard the speak Spanish. I know a lot of Spanish speaking homeowners, been here for generations with respectable jobs whose tax burdens alone are higher than a lot of "American" gross incomes (looking at multi-generational never-employed project ghetto types).

In that context, it does not seem like such an affront. However, I don't trust Democrats and, predict it's really just a stab at the First Ammendment, to protect their beautiful, delicate feelings. In that case, it's my god-given right to say YOU SUCK!
Just reported this post to the NYC authorities for hate and intolerance. I hope they find you, straighten you out, and you learn to be more accepting.

Old Today, 04:32 PM

2,267 posts, read 834,828 times
This is ridiculous. 25 years ago Bill Clinton dedicated an entire portion of his state of the union to stopping and deporting illegal aliens, 10 years ago Barack Obama campaigned on stopping illegal immigration, he deported millions of them. Illegal immigration is terrible for the citizens; it’s wage suppressive, it eats up scarce public resources, it’s not sustainable, its a slap in the face to legal immigrants. We should not be encouraging it. The left have lost their minds on this issue because of Trump.

Old Today, 05:11 PM

60 posts, read 13,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay443 View Post
Racism is it's own full industry now but people still ride on the coat tails of Racism as if it is only a cultural, thing. Some of the products and services of the racism industry are Affirmative Action Plans, Equal Opportunity Employers, Diversity and Inclusion. Companies actually pay for computer programs and management services to become "diverse" and "inclusive". To make it even more confusing it also includes GLBQT and "Gender Equality" that exclude straight males. These illogical services are bought and sold as services for the admins that are hiring and firing people, i.e. "Human Resources". HR is definately not in the business of helping any humans, nor are they very resourceful. These services all hide under misleadingly productive titles that are charged with word combinations that polarize people and pit them all against eachother. Companies spend money on these racism services and they buy it up like it is a new necessity for conducting "Ethical Business".

For people who were brought up to hate certain sets of people, or to hate on nationalities, or to hate on skin color, or to hate one gender - they absolutely love these services. It is like little kids in a candy store.

It seems to me that people cry racism are the real racist ones. And they try to justify their racism for every little thing. If they dont like this country then GTFO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirledpeas0 View Post
Is this a serious question? An obvious answer to this is that the country they are fleeing from is worse.

Yes its a serious question. Why dont they stay there and fight their own cesspool of country instead of coming here with their baggage. Instead they come here with their problems and we have to deal with their nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City