U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 03:37 PM

8,377 posts, read 3,720,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Ran into a gay couple (theater people, knew one of them as former co-worker) on UES a week or so ago coming home from work (waiters at some posh spot in the hood), heading to the M79 bus stop. Chatted for a bit and they had moved to Inwood, and were taking bus a across Central Park to get one of west side trains home.

IIRC many of those in performing arts/theater straight or gay are moving to Inwood after being priced out of UWS or even parts of Harlem. Rents are "affordable" and if willing to make trek to and from subway commute to westside theater/performing arts area isn't so bad.
Yeah, we keep putting "afforable" in quotes because it still isn't that cheap, esp. considering the horrendous commute. The couple that I know complains endlessly about the A train. They do use the car though on weekends which makes it more tolerable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2019, 09:02 AM

2,815 posts, read 2,386,884 times
It is a horrendous commute. I did it for decades on end! If you hail from the west side of broadway, you live and die by the A train! And everyone here should already know the A train takes a good half hour plus to arrive at any stop - especially after 10pm.

Old 09-28-2019, 09:11 AM

20,299 posts, read 35,323,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
It is a horrendous commute. I did it for decades on end! If you hail from the west side of broadway, you live and die by the A train! And everyone here should already know the A train takes a good half hour plus to arrive at any stop - especially after 10pm.
What makes the commute so bad on that end of the A train?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-28-2019, 09:23 AM

That you can’t go out after work unless you catch the train by around 10:45 - it’s the last express train that leaves to inwood. If you want to hang out until later, you may have to spend some time sleeping on the bench before the local “make every stop until 207th street” A train arrives which will usually be in about half hour.

To add insult to injury, after the train makes all 23+ stops (to compensate for no C train service) the train sits for literally a good 20 minutes more on Dyckman street before it “parks” on 207th street. Many people get out and walk, but who really wants to do that?

The alternatives are the 1 train- which is actually much faster - but that would entail walking for half hour all of east broadway. Who wants to do that at night?

Or... pay for an Uber. And that’s another story of its own. I think I posted a thread here about how annoying that too can be.

Old 09-28-2019, 09:26 AM

Hereís a fond memory from my Inwood days trying to get an Uber
What's up with Uber asking us to walk three blocks now?

Now that I look at these threads I can see why I have gained weight living in midtown. I literally went up a size. Itís all the inwood hustling to get home. So to whoever wants to lose a size- move to inwood!!

Old 09-28-2019, 10:25 AM

4,736 posts, read 4,191,759 times
The difference between Washington Heights/Inwood borderline Broadway is astonishing

Old 09-28-2019, 11:12 AM

22,802 posts, read 24,222,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I've always liked the area (west of Broadway that is). I am a big fan of the Cloisters. The only way I would live there is if I drove everywhere and had off-site parking. The transit situation is horrible up there as is on-street parking, but the views are great.
I lived up there for a bit just east of Broadway and a bit south of the Inwood border and I think if they actually got the A train running well, then transit isn't really that bad with the 1 train more for leisure and shopping more than anything. Aside from the A train not being that great when I lived there, though perhaps better now, the problem I had was that a lot of my work and my friends were out in Brooklyn which was a bit of a trek. However, if your friends, family, and work are mostly in Manhattan and the Bronx, then it's probably not so bad.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 09-28-2019 at 11:26 AM..

Old 09-28-2019, 12:20 PM

1,969 posts, read 1,345,047 times
I like Inwood. There are some nice parks up there.

But the commute to midtown or downtown for work from there is just too long.

Old 09-28-2019, 01:24 PM

Anyway, developers are building a luxury residential skyscraper east of broadway where the projects are. (Lol) I think around 10th Avenue. Supposedly a tiny fraction of the units- not all - will be “affordable” but for only 60% ami and 135% ami. I wonder how the luxury building will change the bad reputation that east of broadway has.

Old 09-28-2019, 01:36 PM

13,665 posts, read 5,219,492 times
My place of birth and favorite place to visit growing up...1803 Riverside Drive. I was actually born in Washington Heights to a Payson Ave. address. But Grandmothers at 1803 Riverside Drive was headquarters of the bunch for over 50 years. And Grandmother was the local Tammany Hall contact. Grandpa was an engineer/surveyor for the City of NY. He was an air raid warden in WW2. Remember our Aunt reading to us in the hall closet during the black out.

First place I ever went fishing was on the dock at the end of Dyckman street. It was pretty much a derelict back then though it looks like it might have been fixed up since. Fascinated with catching eels . We loved Fort Tryon and Inwood Hill Parks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or