U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 03:17 PM

21,729 posts, read 14,409,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, a large amount of it through either people who got there earlier, and Chinatown has been around for a pretty long while, or people who were wealthier to begin with--I'm not denying that, but there are certainly properties that were owned by holdovers from communities that left the area and rented their property out rather than selling.
Yes, that is true. Not every Italian sold out and moved away. When hanging out on Ludlow street, walking around you still come upon a the odd Italian owned place where some who come back to the old hood hang out.

Thing is who could have predicted LES/East Village would ever change from the heck hole they were in 1970's through large part of 1980's or even 1990's. Of course if people knew then what is known now they would have held onto those properties.

People either forget or don't know just how Italian lower Manhattan once was; we're talking from around Seventh avenue going east to "Little Italy" from about 14th street down. Large numbers of Italian households were displaced when Seventh Avenue South, Houston Street and Sixth Avenue were all widened and or extended. https://gothamist.com/arts-entertain...ry-car-culture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 03:44 PM

8,369 posts, read 3,716,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
More than that; as Jews and Italians fled the Chinese bought up property. This is one reason why Chinatown spread; the Chinese who owned filled both commercial and residential with their own kind.

Fast forward to now it is those same Chinese who are behind selling and or redevelopment of property contributing towards gentrification. In some instances restaurants, shops, housing, etc... that once benefitted low income/working class Chinese are being pushed out for a higher class of Asians.

As someone noted in a thread on this issue a while ago; many Chinese already fled LES Chinatown for Flushing and other new nabes outside of Manhattan.
Gentrification down there has been happening for quite a while. Tribeca is just next door and has become super expensive. Aside from that the Chinese as you said have been moving out to Flushing. Those that can do better are moving to Whitestone, Bayside and so on.

Old 09-27-2019, 04:19 PM

22,786 posts, read 24,214,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
the point being that the property owners are maximizing value, regardless as to their ethnicity. I bet you though that many of those old Italians/Jews who owned Little Italy sold out to Chinese conglomerates who bought in, knowing the potential of the area.
Yea, I understand property owners are maximizing their value regardless of what the ethnicity buying or gentrified out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Gentrification down there has been happening for quite a while. Tribeca is just next door and has become super expensive. Aside from that the Chinese as you said have been moving out to Flushing. Those that can do better are moving to Whitestone, Bayside and so on.
The Chinese and Chinese-Americans have also been moving out to New Jersey and Southern Brooklyn in pretty large numbers. I believe the Southern Brooklyn population is actually about neck and neck and possibly larger than the Northeast Queens population.

Old 09-27-2019, 05:55 PM

2,886 posts, read 3,821,979 times
Totally seat of my pants observation: The somewhat poorer to working class Chinese move to Brooklyn and the more middle class to professional head for NE Queens.

Getting back to the towers, two things: The LES/Chinatown has a ton of RS/RC apartments along with NYCHA and Mitchell-Lama. Like Harlem, it will *never* become some lily white rich enclave like some like to paint gentrified areas as. For those living in protected dwellings, they shouldn't be concerned over gentrification. For those in *Not* rent-protected dwellings, not building these buildings simply means whoever would otherwise would be living their instead will come after *your* apartment.

Development shouldn't be held hostage to class and ethnic resentment. Many of these activist groups are simply Marxist (yes, I said it) and these kinds of developments are opposed out of ideological grounds.

Old 09-27-2019, 08:09 PM

6,616 posts, read 6,621,152 times
Flushing is getting crowded. The new developments like Tangram, or Flushing Commons aint going to be cheap.

Sunset Park has reached its carrying capacity. Canarsie still has its original inhabitants and there is not enough room.

Where will the Chinese of Manhattan Chinatown go? I heard there was some chinese going to East Harlem.

Old 09-27-2019, 08:23 PM

495 posts, read 128,821 times
Bensonhurst is mostly Chinese now.

Old 09-27-2019, 08:33 PM

291 posts, read 142,721 times
There are a lot of well off Asians moving east to north shore LI areas such as great neck or Manhasset.

Old 09-27-2019, 11:37 PM

22,786 posts, read 24,214,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Totally seat of my pants observation: The somewhat poorer to working class Chinese move to Brooklyn and the more middle class to professional head for NE Queens.

Getting back to the towers, two things: The LES/Chinatown has a ton of RS/RC apartments along with NYCHA and Mitchell-Lama. Like Harlem, it will *never* become some lily white rich enclave like some like to paint gentrified areas as. For those living in protected dwellings, they shouldn't be concerned over gentrification. For those in *Not* rent-protected dwellings, not building these buildings simply means whoever would otherwise would be living their instead will come after *your* apartment.

Development shouldn't be held hostage to class and ethnic resentment. Many of these activist groups are simply Marxist (yes, I said it) and these kinds of developments are opposed out of ideological grounds.
Well, it's a huge amount of Fuzhou people, which isn't a particularly wealthy area, moving to Brooklyn whereas it's a much larger gamut including people from much wealthier provinces of China moving to NE Queens.

I think where the RS/RC and NYCHA people will have a harder time is that shopping and dining options there are going to cater to a much more expensive tastes. That being said, no one group has a lock on a neighborhood--some groups have had good, long runs, but ultimately, neighborhoods in NYC change.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; Yesterday at 12:15 AM..

Old Yesterday, 10:06 AM

7,098 posts, read 8,319,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, I understand property owners are maximizing their value regardless of what the ethnicity buying or gentrified out.

The Chinese and Chinese-Americans have also been moving out to New Jersey and Southern Brooklyn in pretty large numbers. I believe the Southern Brooklyn population is actually about neck and neck and possibly larger than the Northeast Queens population.
All this is pretty old news

Brooklyn has 3 chinatown. Flushing is the biggest and diverse Chinatown. New China big money is coming in with all cash buyers to NE queens and NW Nassau county. I seen it with my own eyes new China money closing in 3 weeks and canít speak English

Old Yesterday, 10:42 AM

2,796 posts, read 2,117,519 times
Most Chinese are not in Chinatown Manhattan any more, majority of them moved to either 8 Ave in Brooklyn or Flushing in Queens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or