U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:19 PM

6,616 posts, read 6,621,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
Bensonhurst is mostly Chinese now.
Nah, I drove down Cropsey or whatever not too long ago. Still got some old timers, and Arabs, and Hispanics, around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 07:42 AM

299 posts, read 76,039 times
Speaking here as someone with roots in the area I remember several times back in the late 80s/ early 90s when I personally went to rent an apartment, you’d go and there would always be an Asian woman, owner/broker, and they’d just smile, cover their mouth with one hand, “tee hee hee, sorry, Chinese only here.”

They didn’t even try to hide it.

Old Today, 07:43 AM

8,369 posts, read 3,716,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope of Greenwich Village View Post
Speaking here as someone with roots in the area I remember several times back in the late 80s/ early 90s when I personally went to rent an apartment, you’d go and there would always be an Asian woman, owner/broker, and they’d just smile, cover their mouth with one hand, “tee hee hee, sorry, Chinese only here.”

They didn’t even try to hide it.
lol

Old Today, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Nah, I drove down Cropsey or whatever not too long ago. Still got some old timers, and Arabs, and Hispanics, around.
Cropsey next to Dyker is still Italian for sure. Expensive houses.

Old Today, 08:17 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,316,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, I understand property owners are maximizing their value regardless of what the ethnicity buying or gentrified out.

The Chinese and Chinese-Americans have also been moving out to New Jersey and Southern Brooklyn in pretty large numbers. I believe the Southern Brooklyn population is actually about neck and neck and possibly larger than the Northeast Queens population.
Tale as old as time. Repeat with any group. Then they'll complain when they're being pushed out the way they did to others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Cropsey next to Dyker is still Italian for sure. Expensive houses.
They are slowly making their way into Dyker. They are buying a lot in Bay Ridge. The really wealthy ones are buying houses, tearing them down and building new houses that are essentially mansions.

Old Today, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
They are slowly making their way into Dyker. They are buying a lot in Bay Ridge. The really wealthy ones are buying houses, tearing them down and building new houses that are essentially mansions.
True. If the kids don't want to stay, then yes, they sell and that is that.

Old Today, 10:02 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,550,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
While I don't know why anyone would pay big bucks for condos in that area, ethic groups don't own their neighborhoods (beyond the fact that some members of those ethnic groups might actually own property in the neighborhood.) Ask the Italians in Little Italy that got squeezed out thy the Chinese, who subsumed most of the area into Chinatown.
I think Italians left that area when they prospered and moved out to Staten Island, Brooklyn, and Long Island.

You gotta remember that Little Italy was a slum and I am sure that the Italians who lived there wanted a better life for themselves and moved out to the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or