Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2019, 09:01 PM

4 posts, read 2,974 times

Advertisements

I signed a lease in late August and paid first, last and security and a brokers fee of one month.
To be honest the apt has been a nightmare since moving in.
I just discovered that its now illegal to ask for anything other than one months security, so the last months rent should not have been paid. im not sure why the broker allowed this, the must have know about the new rules.

Do i have a right to ask for the last months rent back? or have it applied to my next month's rent??
i don't want to ruffle feathers with my landlord, but im a bit pissed they did this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2019, 10:02 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
The last month's rent you just don't pay when you are ready to move. Usually people use the security for the last month, but when it was ok to charge this, I paid first month, security deposit and a broker's fee.

Old 09-27-2019, 01:23 PM

1,486 posts, read 987,556 times
Wow you got ripped!!

Ive never heard of anyone paying both last month and a security, its usually one or the other. Then to have to pay 1 months rent to the broker....damn. You basically paid 4 times the rent up front....the pain.

Old 09-27-2019, 01:27 PM

106,569 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
Wow you got ripped!!

Ive never heard of anyone paying both last month and a security, its usually one or the other. Then to have to pay 1 months rent to the broker....damn. You basically paid 4 times the rent up front....the pain.
Prior to the new law all our non rent stabilized property has all had first months rent , last months rent and security collected .

Usually the tenant does not pay last months rent and you have no security..also , it served as a litmus test ..if the tenant has a hard time coming up with that I don’t want them ...I don’t want tenants who live on a shoe string savings

Old 09-27-2019, 01:57 PM

62 posts, read 35,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by googleeyes222 View Post
I signed a lease in late August and paid first, last and security and a brokers fee of one month.
To be honest the apt has been a nightmare since moving in.
I just discovered that its now illegal to ask for anything other than one months security, so the last months rent should not have been paid. im not sure why the broker allowed this, the must have know about the new rules.

Do i have a right to ask for the last months rent back? or have it applied to my next month's rent??
i don't want to ruffle feathers with my landlord, but im a bit pissed they did this.

Is this an apartment or private house?

Old 09-27-2019, 02:28 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,614,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
Wow you got ripped!!

Huh? I've paid last months rent and security up until I moved to the Lower East Side in 2015. I don't think this is anything new.

Old 09-27-2019, 08:51 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,834,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Huh? I've paid last months rent and security up until I moved to the Lower East Side in 2015. I don't think this is anything new.

Google "new york city new security deposit law". Thanks DeBozo.!

Old 09-27-2019, 09:01 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,772,015 times
Alot of misunderstanding is going on here.

Prior to the law changes first months rent, last months rent and security were asked by many managements/landlords for a variety of reasons. If you never experienced it LUCKY YOU, that doesnt mean others hadnt or it wasnt normal.

Now with the new law changes yes only first months rent and 1 month security is all a landlord can legally ask for. Not one or the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: