U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:32 AM

1,767 posts, read 3,618,693 times

Advertisements

The Poke in NYC is different than what I had in Hawaii--which was incredibly delicious there. I still like the mainland interpretation of it -- though just like sushi you have to make sure you go to a well reviewed place.

It's a nice healthy lunch but a little pricey still.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:08 AM

2,221 posts, read 1,469,020 times
Used to eat it when Pokeworks opened on 36th st 2 years ago, then it exploded. It's kinda died off on me though. Pokeworks was simple and it essentially tasted like sashimi on rice. The latter stuff is so complicated that it doesn't taste good most of the time to me.

Old Yesterday, 09:35 AM

310 posts, read 77,427 times
Before this recent fad I never saw poke anywhere other than at roadside stands in Hawaii. You'd be driving along some remote stretch and there would always be a guy who had just come in from spear fishing and he'd be making it fresh right on the side of the road. They always had hand painted little throw away signs. Since I go back to Hawaii every year at least once...I'll have my poke over there.

Old Yesterday, 03:37 PM

13,125 posts, read 6,757,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
If you are served non-sashimi grade tuna, you are at risk of parasites and bacteria. Sashimi grade tuna has to adhere to standards such as what portion can be served and type of precaution to perform when slicing and cleaning. The reason you see Poke bowl places serve with Ponzu, mirin, and soy is they can kill parasites but not enough. Wasabi is more powerful astringent but very few Americans eat sashimi with real wasabi. 99% of places serve horseradish and not real wasabi.

I can tell Pokebowl places don't serve good cuts because the tuna looks way too translucent and the texture looks like ham with no sign of marbling of fats at all .

You're pay $14+ for the tuna flesh tips and scraps. That's the stuff that sushi chefs cut away and throw away, what a genius idea to sell throwaways for $14+ a bowl. If your Dr. said you had worms and parasites then you know where it came from.
What I'm finding is that all sashimi/sushi grade tuna/fish means is that it is frozen for a specified period of time in order to kill parasites. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the part of the fish

https://sushimodern.com/sushi/sushi-grade-myth/

Quote:
The fear-mongering around parasitic illness is not entirely unwarranted because the consequences can be painful and severe. But rest assured that you, as an individual, are unlikely to contract a parasitic illness from eating raw fish. However, public health policy is not based on you as an individual; it attempts to reach near-zero levels of risk across the entire population. On a national and global level, 0.01% probability of illness is still a lot of people. The U.S. is fortunate enough to have very low rates of parasite-related illness from sushionly 60 cases of anisakiasis have ever been reported. That's right, 60 cases diagnosed ever.

And this is where the whole "sushi-grade" thing comes in. The absurdly low number may be thanks to the FDA guidelines which dictate that fish sold for raw consumption be frozen under one of the following conditions to kill parasites:

-4F (-20C) or below for 7 days (total time)
-31F (-35C) or below until solid, and storing at -31F (-35C) or below for 15 hours
-31F (-35C) or below until solid and storing at -4F (-20C) or below for 24 hours

Most of the time this flash-freezing, at temperatures as low as -40F, happens on commercial fishing boats or by a wholesaler, long before it ever reaches your plate or the restaurant. Lacking a true definition from any central authority, "sushi-grade" has come to mean fish which roughly follow these guidelines.
See also: The Myth of Sushi-Grade | Fresh Tastes Blog | PBS Food

Old Yesterday, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope of Greenwich Village View Post
Before this recent fad I never saw poke anywhere other than at roadside stands in Hawaii. You'd be driving along some remote stretch and there would always be a guy who had just come in from spear fishing and he'd be making it fresh right on the side of the road. They always had hand painted little throw away signs. Since I go back to Hawaii every year at least once...I'll have my poke over there.
I'd never knowingly eat poke made from fish that wasn't previously flash frozen to kill of some parasites.

Old Yesterday, 03:55 PM

13,469 posts, read 9,122,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
What I'm finding is that all sashimi/sushi grade tuna/fish means is that it is frozen for a specified period of time in order to kill parasites. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the part of the fish

https://sushimodern.com/sushi/sushi-grade-myth/

See also: The Myth of Sushi-Grade | Fresh Tastes Blog | PBS Food
I disagree with that definition, this means any low grade tuna meat is being passed as sushi grade. That is why authentic sashimi prepared by a Japanese traditionally trained chef just makes better tasting nigiri. The selection of fish and the right cuts makes a huge difference. Once again America is lowering the quality of ethnic foods because people just can't tell what is or isn't authentic.

Old Yesterday, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I disagree with that definition, this means any low grade tuna meat is being passed as sushi grade. That is why authentic sashimi prepared by a Japanese traditionally trained chef just makes better tasting nigiri. The selection of fish and the right cuts makes a huge difference. Once again America is lowering the quality of ethnic foods because people just can't tell what is or isn't authentic.
Unless I see something scientific to support that the cut of fish correlates to disease, etc., I'll follow the FDA and other food experts who have made such a preparation requirement where fish consumed raw in the US has to be frozen for a certain period of time at a certain temperature (and that's where "sushi grade" comes from, at least in this country). Note, I see fish in blocks of ice and they are stored on ice, too, in Asian markets in Asia as they are brought from the ocean to shore via boat to sell at fish auctions, which is where many a sushi restaurant will purchase their fish. Thus, it wouldn't shock me if there was a requirement for freezing raw fish for consumption, too, in Asia (Japan, etc.). Now, I don't doubt that certain cuts of fish do taste different, especially when we factor in fat content, etc.; hell, the fat content is what makes the fish more or less valuable at these auctions. But that's different from claiming that one cut of fish is less safe to eat than another cut of fish.

Old Yesterday, 05:46 PM

6,642 posts, read 6,630,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
In Hawaii, poke certainly isn't a "cheap snack," though its not exactly the most expensive meal either. I haven't seen poke places in NYC, so can't comment on a business model.
Well, I was told Hawaii is expensive. I have bought Poke from gas stations, pretty good stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisnowbird View Post
I like the poke bowls at Poke Station/Kung Fu Tea better than Makana. Even better that they're the cheaper option in the Heights.
I did not know Kung Fu Tea serves Poke. Is it just one location that does?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Yes. Why is it a strange choice? There is a lot of healthy restaurants now in the Heights.
I am up around there all the time. One of their locations I think is near the GWB. I would put one closer to the Hospital and south. That area seems to be gentrifying. I work in that area all the time. The one across from City College never gets business. I would go further south into Central Harlem. That area too is gentrifying.

Old Yesterday, 07:15 PM

646 posts, read 610,124 times
This post is a couple years too late.

I really like it though, been enjoying it as a healthy option.

Old Today, 08:04 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,142,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope of Greenwich Village View Post
yea, and that stuff is fresh and most likely MUCH higher quality than any of the garbage 99% of these bandwagon-hopping business owners are serving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or