Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2019, 02:00 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Poke bowls are pretty good. There is one in Washington Heights that i frequent.
Are you talking about Makana? I always thought Uptown is a strange choice for them. But they have one near Columbia U, one near City College, and I guess one near Yeshiva I think. I think the one near City College is a strange choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2019, 03:40 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
Out here, they even sell it at Safeway.

Old 09-29-2019, 07:04 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Poke is exploding in NYC all of sudden. First in Flushing, then I noticed in Hells' Kitchen. Uptown has the Makana Hawaiian BBQ and Poke with four locations. More are popping up in Queens and rest of Manhattan. I am seeing them in Long Island too.

Why suddenly happening now?

If you go to Japanese they charge you so much for sashimi. Poke places just serving sashimi, but with healthy sides like romaine kimchi, masago, etc etc, and much cheaper than Japanese restaurants.

But I wonder how this model going to last. Poke is cheap snack. How many covers can these places get to break even with just the high rent?

Are there lots of Hawaiians moving to NYC all of sudden? Chinese brought chinese here, Mexicans brought Mexicans here, Italians brought italian over here. Japanese brought Japanese here until the Chinese took that market. So who else can be bringing this over? Ok the poke place on Roosevelt in Flushing is Chinese but I think they have relatives in Hawaii or California.
In Hawaii, poke certainly isn't a "cheap snack," though its not exactly the most expensive meal either. I haven't seen poke places in NYC, so can't comment on a business model.

Old 09-29-2019, 08:41 PM

201 posts, read 389,062 times
Quote:
Are you talking about Makana? .
I like the poke bowls at Poke Station/Kung Fu Tea better than Makana. Even better that they're the cheaper option in the Heights.

Old 09-29-2019, 09:41 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
I always laugh at people who buy scraps of Tuna cuts. It's essentially ground tuna bits instead of knowing and getting the best parts of tuna. Would you pay $14+ for a burger instead of Ribeye steak?

If I were to get a sashimi bowl, I demand to see actual slices of sashimi grade tuna.

Old 09-30-2019, 12:55 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I always laugh at people who buy scraps of Tuna cuts. It's essentially ground tuna bits instead of knowing and getting the best parts of tuna. Would you pay $14+ for a burger instead of Ribeye steak?

If I were to get a sashimi bowl, I demand to see actual slices of sashimi grade tuna.

If you'd have to see the actual slices of sashimi grade tuna in order to verify that you're being served such high grade tuna, I'm imagining that there isn't much of a difference in the taste profile between that and the "ground tuna bits" If this is the case, why would you pay extra to know that you're eating the "best parts of tuna?" Genuinely curious. If its not a health issue, I have no problem with cheaper cuts (in fact, my wallet prefers it) if the flavor profile is going to be the same.

Old 09-30-2019, 01:28 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
I don't trust poke. They're serving non-sushi grade fish as if it is sushi grade.

Old 09-30-2019, 03:55 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,083,522 times
Quote:
Are you talking about Makana? I always thought Uptown is a strange choice for them. But they have one near Columbia U, one near City College, and I guess one near Yeshiva I think. I think the one near City College is a strange choice.
Yes. Why is it a strange choice? There is a lot of healthy restaurants now in the Heights.

Old 09-30-2019, 06:29 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
Quote:
Its not that late. There are still places without Poke, and it has been steadily growing. So I did not jump on the bandwagon as soon as it began, Boo hoo.

Don't feel so bad---I will probably never eat it because I hate sushi so I have zero interest.

Old 09-30-2019, 07:32 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
[/b]

If you'd have to see the actual slices of sashimi grade tuna in order to verify that you're being served such high grade tuna, I'm imagining that there isn't much of a difference in the taste profile between that and the "ground tuna bits" If this is the case, why would you pay extra to know that you're eating the "best parts of tuna?" Genuinely curious. If its not a health issue, I have no problem with cheaper cuts (in fact, my wallet prefers it) if the flavor profile is going to be the same.
If you are served non-sashimi grade tuna, you are at risk of parasites and bacteria. Sashimi grade tuna has to adhere to standards such as what portion can be served and type of precaution to perform when slicing and cleaning. The reason you see Poke bowl places serve with Ponzu, mirin, and soy is they can kill parasites but not enough. Wasabi is more powerful astringent but very few Americans eat sashimi with real wasabi. 99% of places serve horseradish and not real wasabi.

I can tell Pokebowl places don't serve good cuts because the tuna looks way too translucent and the texture looks like ham with no sign of marbling of fats at all .

You're pay $14+ for the tuna flesh tips and scraps. That's the stuff that sushi chefs cut away and throw away, what a genius idea to sell throwaways for $14+ a bowl. If your Dr. said you had worms and parasites then you know where it came from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City