U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 09:32 AM
 
3,807 posts, read 1,458,506 times
Reputation: 1782

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Youíre refusing to separate how I view the risk of these areas from how you think I view all of the people there. For example, consider a rowdy club. If I tell you I wonít go there because that place is always trouble, Iím not saying this because I believe EVERYONE there is a dangerous threat. There is a difference.

I was taught to assess threats and act accordingly.
One day I will invite you for a beer up near me, and surprisingly one day you will accept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 09:55 AM
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
9,081 posts, read 7,330,322 times
Reputation: 8601
Meet halfway lol
__________________
"No Copyrighted Material"

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:10 PM
 
Location: NY
4,467 posts, read 1,180,603 times
Reputation: 2610
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
The people in that area are largely hard working. Private homes surround the projects largely. I have a coworker who resides there and can tell you she is a good person. I work one mile from there and never have had an incident. Stop condemning people. You know, the Universe has a way of teaching lessons. Perhaps one day your son or daughter will bring home one of thses guys as a partner. Life teaches lessons and your building up the negative karma.
Opinion:
Worked Edenwald project back in the early 80's.
If I remember correctly, the furthest housing project from the city.
A project planted in the middle of middle class beautiful homes.
There are beautiful people in the projects but unfortunately time and time again has proven
that the criminal element ends up outweighing the good people residing on premise. How many times have police
officers been under physical threat? and out of those times how many were in the vicinity of housing projects?
Back in 1981 a Proximity hypothesis was conducted and have proven that violent crime in projects are three times
more higher on project grounds than the city itself. The crime is out of control and the filth has called on city sanitation
department to step in because the employees can no longer keep up with many of the grounds. It is time to privatize projects
that have had a clean record and level the rest of the urinals into oblivion.........nuff said.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 02:02 PM
 
3,807 posts, read 1,458,506 times
Reputation: 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Opinion:
Worked Edenwald project back in the early 80's.
If I remember correctly, the furthest housing project from the city.
A project planted in the middle of middle class beautiful homes.
There are beautiful people in the projects but unfortunately time and time again has proven
that the criminal element ends up outweighing the good people residing on premise. How many times have police
officers been under physical threat? and out of those times how many were in the vicinity of housing projects?
Back in 1981 a Proximity hypothesis was conducted and have proven that violent crime in projects are three times
more higher on project grounds than the city itself. The crime is out of control and the filth has called on city sanitation
department to step in because the employees can no longer keep up with many of the grounds. It is time to privatize projects
that have had a clean record and level the rest of the urinals into oblivion.........nuff said.........
I am not saying there is no crime there. I grew up in the Twin Park Projects and my wife grew up in the Adams Projects both in the Bronx. I work near and have visited the Eden Wald projects as well. We cannot allow our perceptions to be corrupted by the actions of the bad. The bad, the criminals do not outweigh the efforts of the good. In fact, the majority of the residents are good inspite the presence of a marked degenerate presence. To come out of these environments and be good is something to be acknowledged. The vast majority of people in Edenwald and outside the area have to be acknowledged in our imaginations as well in the forefront in fact. I DON'T dismiss the realization of higher rates of crime, but I am arguing that the crimes of the degenerates not smear everyone else. It's a matter of sensitivity to those who live there. The people who live there, who work, study, and remain there and the teachers, police officers, professionals are heroes as they keep it moving forward. Now projects and why they fail is an other story.. Anyway, pardon the rambling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 06:07 AM
 
Location: NY
4,467 posts, read 1,180,603 times
Reputation: 2610
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
I am not saying there is no crime there. I grew up in the Twin Park Projects and my wife grew up in the Adams Projects both in the Bronx. I work near and have visited the Eden Wald projects as well. We cannot allow our perceptions to be corrupted by the actions of the bad. The bad, the criminals do not outweigh the efforts of the good. In fact, the majority of the residents are good inspite the presence of a marked degenerate presence. To come out of these environments and be good is something to be acknowledged. The vast majority of people in Edenwald and outside the area have to be acknowledged in our imaginations as well in the forefront in fact. I DON'T dismiss the realization of higher rates of crime, but I am arguing that the crimes of the degenerates not smear everyone else. It's a matter of sensitivity to those who live there. The people who live there, who work, study, and remain there and the teachers, police officers, professionals are heroes as they keep it moving forward. Now projects and why they fail is an other story.. Anyway, pardon the rambling.
Excerpt:
I DON'T dismiss the realization of higher rates of crime, but I am arguing that the crimes of the degenerates not smear everyone else.

Opinion:
I understand the what is coming from the heart. I have met those good people too.

Unfortunately.........it is common knowledge that goes back hundreds of years in the old saying.
"One bad apple spoils the bunch " There is much meaning to this old saying..............

If you do not remove the criminal element, the cancer spreads.
Your perception of good does not convince me of the realities of the bad and the projects to
which they originate. If you have a mouse in the kitchen, you lay the trap in the kitchen not the bedroom.
Crime would be squashed if tenants were more involved. Tenant patrols are useless if you keep your mouth shut.
So out of fear of talking, being labeled a rat....you are only promoting...yes promoting criminal activity.
That makes every single tenant guilty. As a former landlord my tenants all worked together for better and safer home.
So if the tenants can not keep a lid on the brewing decadence then law enforcement needs to step in.
Short of leveling all housing projects I am for invoking the toughest of laws levied on public housing.
An enforceable: No one with a criminal record allowed on premise period................let see where that takes us.

Last edited by Mr.Retired; Today at 06:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 06:24 AM
 
3,807 posts, read 1,458,506 times
Reputation: 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Excerpt:
I DON'T dismiss the realization of higher rates of crime, but I am arguing that the crimes of the degenerates not smear everyone else.

Opinion:
I understand the what is coming from the heart. I have met those good people too.

Unfortunately.........it is common knowledge that goes back hundreds of years in the old saying.
"One bad apple spoils the bunch " There is much meaning to this old saying..............

If you do not remove the criminal element, the cancer spreads.
Your perception of good does not convince me of the realities of the bad and the projects to
which they originate. If you have a mouse in the kitchen, you lay the trap in the kitchen not the bedroom.
Crime would be squashed if tenants were more involved. Tenant patrols are useless if you keep your mouth shut.
So out of fear of talking, being labeled a rat....you are only promoting...yes promoting criminal activity.
Short of leveling all housing projects I am for invoking the toughest of laws levied on public housing.
An enforceable No one with a criminal record allowed on premise period................let see where that takes us.
Well I don't disagree with you. However, what I am stressing is how we talk about the projects and by extension everyone else who lives in them. We both agree that those bad people in the projects have a degenerative disease like effect on some good people. It's easier for good kids to be good adults when they live in good neighborhoods. It's easier for kids to become bad when surrounded by bad people like those in the projects. Kids learn to pick up dumb and bad behaviors as being normal. Truancy, teen age pregnancy drugs are normalised there. I agree. Both my wife and I grew up in housing projects and have seen that first hand. Yet, despite that background, the majority of people there in the projects rise above it as best they can. The NYCHA environment every day produces people who rise above the muck to educate themselves, become successful people. Become honest people. Good kids who emerge from bad environments deserve to be recognized. So when we condemn the projects and bad areas, how often do we celebrate that truth ???? It certainly takes more effort to do so. But it's worthwhile to. And our attitudes effect our public policy. Have a great day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:13 PM
 
Location: NY
4,467 posts, read 1,180,603 times
Reputation: 2610
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Well I don't disagree with you. However, what I am stressing is how we talk about the projects and by extension everyone else who lives in them. We both agree that those bad people in the projects have a degenerative disease like effect on some good people. It's easier for good kids to be good adults when they live in good neighborhoods. It's easier for kids to become bad when surrounded by bad people like those in the projects. Kids learn to pick up dumb and bad behaviors as being normal. Truancy, teen age pregnancy drugs are normalised there. I agree. Both my wife and I grew up in housing projects and have seen that first hand. Yet, despite that background, the majority of people there in the projects rise above it as best they can. The NYCHA environment every day produces people who rise above the muck to educate themselves, become successful people. Become honest people. Good kids who emerge from bad environments deserve to be recognized. So when we condemn the projects and bad areas, how often do we celebrate that truth ???? It certainly takes more effort to do so. But it's worthwhile to. And our attitudes effect our public policy. Have a great day.
Opinion:
I understand struggle as a first generation child of immigrant parents to this country who did not speak English.
Constantly the subject of ridicule because of my ethnicity was a truly traumatic experience. If not for my parents ,supportive family members,caring friends ,desire and knowing right from wrong, rising to the occasion would have been difficult at best. As you say people in the project rise as best they can. I am sure that those lines of thought were unacceptable to you as you are today far removed from the environment because of your desire to do better. For this I commend you and your spouse for your exemplary performance against what I would consider difficult odds. Being recognized ? I wouldn't go that far. An extra gold star on my homework or a pat on my back never paid my rent. My personal accomplishment is my recognition. I can not be empathetic towards those who quit. I can only pray for those who desire and want to do better. I pray they entrust hard work. I pray their goals are attainable and finally pray they are surrounded by a supportive hierarchy.
Unfortunately, the projects are nothing more than the cruelest obstacle in the way of affluence and success in life.
Thank you for your honest opinion. Enjoy the fruits of your labor. You and spouse are most deserving. Have a better and even greater day.

Last edited by Mr.Retired; Today at 12:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 01:16 PM
 
3,807 posts, read 1,458,506 times
Reputation: 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Opinion:
I understand struggle as a first generation child of immigrant parents to this country who did not speak English.
Constantly the subject of ridicule because of my ethnicity was a truly traumatic experience. If not for my parents ,supportive family members,caring friends ,desire and knowing right from wrong, rising to the occasion would have been difficult at best. As you say people in the project rise as best they can. I am sure that those lines of thought were unacceptable to you as you are today far removed from the environment because of your desire to do better. For this I commend you and your spouse for your exemplary performance against what I would consider difficult odds. Being recognized ? I wouldn't go that far. An extra gold star on my homework or a pat on my back never paid my rent. My personal accomplishment is my recognition. I can not be empathetic towards those who quit. I can only pray for those who desire and want to do better. I pray they entrust hard work. I pray their goals are attainable and finally pray they are surrounded by a supportive hierarchy.
Unfortunately, the projects are nothing more than the cruelest obstacle in the way of affluence and success in life.
Thank you for your honest opinion. Enjoy the fruits of your labor. You and spouse are most deserving. Have a better and even greater day.
The projects are cruel obstacles. But so many people rise from it, showing great dedication. People have businesses there showing courage and dedication. People who work choose to remain there and in the bordering area to make it a better place. So when seen in that way and area like Edenwald shows the best qualities of people as well as the people who are bad That cannot be forgotten. Should be mentioned whenever the bad is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 04:19 PM
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
9,081 posts, read 7,330,322 times
Reputation: 8601
On my way to his wake now.
__________________
"No Copyrighted Material"

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 04:44 PM
 
3,807 posts, read 1,458,506 times
Reputation: 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
On my way to his wake now.
Peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top