U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 02:35 PM

24,567 posts, read 18,105,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
That is such nonsense. Plenty of people are doing just fine and they aren't part of the 1%. People are stuck on materialistic things. What's important is that you are happy where you are in life. There are plenty of people with money that are truly miserable, so how much money one has doesn't tell the whole story. Some things can't be bought. Often times, the more money people make, the more problems they have. I have seen plenty of people on the Suzy Orman show when it was around that made over $100,000 a year with no kids, etc. and they were swimming in debt because they spent every last penny they had. It isn't all about what you have but how you manage and what your expenses are. Just ask Allen Iverson $200 million dollars later who was almost BROKE.
An accident or a major illness will severely wipe the average person out, among many other problems.

On this group poor people spend a lot of time hating each other, and defending rich people.

Can we say self hatred?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2019, 03:32 PM

8,478 posts, read 3,776,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Ok

Whatever makes you sleep good at night

I doubt any patricians post here

Only plebs post here

You attribute pleb = peasant (negative connotation)

Look at your own life, you work for somebody else, and you rent, therefore you own no land, and the "lord of the land" controls your domicile

Pleb

No shame in being a pleb
I am quite happy with my life at my age. I have done most of what I set out to do. Traveled extensively among other things. Had a private school education. The things that I desire to do in the future for the most part are not tied to money or possessions, that I can assure you, and most of what I have accomplished or cherish isn't tied to money either but are personal experiences that have no monetary value. I have done enough of the material things that I don't need to do more of them. The simple things are great like cooking at home. As for renting that has also been a choice. I could've owned in my 20s. I chose to do other things with my money. Do I regret it? Nope... I am still quite young and will still own before most even move out on their own. lol I will purchase when I am ready. As long as people live for themselves and not for others then they'll be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
An accident or a major illness will severely wipe the average person out, among many other problems.

On this group poor people spend a lot of time hating each other, and defending rich people.

Can we say self hatred?
This is true of many Americans, as so many live paycheck to paycheck or don't have or can't afford health insurance. I wouldn't call it hating per se. Just that people are too concerned with trying to keep up with the Joneses. Everyone needs to do what works for them and live their lives.

Old 10-07-2019, 04:03 PM

9,141 posts, read 7,361,965 times
Especially when those people are only paycheck-to-paycheck because of poor financial decisions. I know plenty of people who make as much or more than me but spend money like they are millionaires on dumb stuff, leaving them in debt with little to no savings.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 10-07-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Especially when those people are only paycheck-to-paycheck because of poor financial decisions. I know plenty of people who make as much or more than me but spend money like they are millionaires on dumb stuff, leaving them in debt with little to no savings.
If someone gets cancer, the amount of money you spend on that is going to wipe out any savings most people could realistically muster.

This is what I meant about people seeming to hate people just because they aren't rich.

Old 10-07-2019, 05:08 PM

Quote:
I am quite happy with my life at my age. I have done most of what I set out to do. Traveled extensively among other things. Had a private school education. The things that I desire to do in the future for the most part are not tied to money or possessions, that I can assure you, and most of what I have accomplished or cherish isn't tied to money either but are personal experiences that have no monetary value. I have done enough of the material things that I don't need to do more of them. The simple things are great like cooking at home. As for renting that has also been a choice. I could've owned in my 20s. I chose to do other things with my money. Do I regret it? Nope... I am still quite young and will still own before most even move out on their own. lol I will purchase when I am ready. As long as people live for themselves and not for others then they'll be fine.

This is true of many Americans, as so many live paycheck to paycheck or don't have or can't afford health insurance. I wouldn't call it hating per se. Just that people are too concerned with trying to keep up with the Joneses. Everyone needs to do what works for them and live their lives.
Yes many don't have health insurance or cannot afford to get health insurance or don't earn much money. People on this forum constantly attack poor people, want them dumped out of NYC in the Middle of nowhere, want all rent stabilization and affordable housing to be immediately ended. There's even one poster who wants the MTA ended. LOL, NYC is dependent on mass transit.

It's like people spend all their time hating and have no sense of empathy or compassion.

Even if you have health insurance, a major medical illness can still send you into the financial hole. A sick enough person isn't going to be able to work for awhile, and some people never recover from strokes. Yet on these forums you hear people rant about disability, as if people who fall into misfortune should just be allowed to die.

Nevermind something very bad could happen to them on their family members.

I've had elderly relatives who had substantial savings and who lived in homes. With a stroke they had to be put in nursing home, and of course the nursing home expenses eventually took care of those savings. Medicaid had to be applied.

Everyone's situation is different, but some sort of expense like this will touch the average person at some point. Them or a family member.

A friend of mine had to rounds of liver cancer before the age of 25. He was saved by the fact he was able to get medicaid.

Old 10-07-2019, 05:16 PM

20,483 posts, read 35,453,489 times
Quote:
Yes many don't have health insurance or cannot afford to get health insurance or don't earn much money. People on this forum constantly attack poor people, want them dumped out of NYC in the Middle of nowhere, want all rent stabilization and affordable housing to be immediately ended. There's even one poster who wants the MTA ended. LOL, NYC is dependent on mass transit.

It's like people spend all their time hating and have no sense of empathy or compassion.

Even if you have health insurance, a major medical illness can still send you into the financial hole. A sick enough person isn't going to be able to work for awhile, and some people never recover from strokes. Yet on these forums you hear people rant about disability, as if people who fall into misfortune should just be allowed to die.

Nevermind something very bad could happen to them on their family members.

I've had elderly relatives who had substantial savings and who lived in homes. With a stroke they had to be put in nursing home, and of course the nursing home expenses eventually took care of those savings. Medicaid had to be applied.

Everyone's situation is different, but some sort of expense like this will touch the average person at some point. Them or a family member.

A friend of mine had to rounds of liver cancer before the age of 25. He was saved by the fact he was able to get medicaid.
Its sad isnt it

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-07-2019, 06:38 PM

9,141 posts, read 7,361,965 times
I’ve never once seen a negative post about disability. Can you quote these posts so we can all be enlightened?

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 10-07-2019, 10:02 PM

2,307 posts, read 1,075,579 times
Quote:
Yeah...scary but true.

Old 10-07-2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:

Yeah. Those nursing home expenses are no joke. And what will happen when the gov't runs out of money for programs like medicaid, medicare, social security.. . What's the national debt again? (rhetorical question).

https://www.barrons.com/articles/soc...is-51556271004

Old 10-07-2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:
As for renting that has also been a choice. I could've owned in my 20s. I chose to do other things with my money. Do I regret it? Nope...
Actually... there have been recent articles stating that the old adage of "owning is better than renting" is being debunked. That in certain instances, one's better off renting & that owning property isn't all that it's cracked up to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or