U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:46 PM

2,269 posts, read 705,933 times

Advertisements

Double post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:48 PM

2,269 posts, read 705,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
There's cops who makes well over $150,000. I wouldn't call them working class. Hell I make only a little less than that and sit at a computer most of my time. You're not going to convince me that I'm the same "class" as an "undocumented" handyman.
Exactly.

Old Yesterday, 01:52 PM

19 posts, read 2,821 times
Quote:
And in way more debt that a plumber, cop or nurse!
True. A lot of college grads make for financially irresponsible employees. Many college grads are less productive employees when compared to people who did not continue through college.

Old Yesterday, 02:23 PM

2,627 posts, read 1,169,565 times
Whoops, posted the wrong video earlier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqrCoyVK80I

Old Yesterday, 05:08 PM

7,610 posts, read 6,085,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post

As might a nurse/RN who earns 55K.

?

Calling an RN working class is ridiculous. LPN and Home Attendants, yes. Some of those RNs are degreed and all had to pass exams so had to have some academic abilities.

Old Yesterday, 05:10 PM

7,610 posts, read 6,085,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Not for nothing but this seems like an elitist position to hold. Someone who's an electrician or plumber (the types of blue collar jobs that are middle class and up) are absolutely using both their brains and hands when they work.

I would also suggest that these are skilled workers as well so aren't just hands on. wouldn't want a man who can only tie wires together to be handling electricity in my house.

I think that something that to be middle class one must have a desk job. Middle class will be any occupation which requires someone to have levels of education and some cognitive abilities.

Old Yesterday, 05:46 PM

9,102 posts, read 7,335,294 times
Middle class is about finances, nothing else.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old Yesterday, 11:15 PM

21,787 posts, read 14,457,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Calling an RN working class is ridiculous. LPN and Home Attendants, yes. Some of those RNs are degreed and all had to pass exams so had to have some academic abilities.

Licensed Practical Nurses must also pass a board exam, and they hardly are anymore "working class" than RNs. https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/n...15_KO14,38.htm

Nursing assistants, techs, patient care associates, etc... that is another matter. Those are all jobs that are carved out of professional or practical nursing, but cheaper for employers to have done by unlicensed personnel, and or leaves a RN or LPN free to make better use of her (or his) time.

For the record nursing assistants in every state must pass a certification exam (by federal law), and many hospitals/healthcare facilities pile their own on top.

As for rest of it; going by strict guidelines (for what they are worth) RNs and LPNs/LVNs are "working class" if they are on staff and clock in and out, get paid OT, etc... Again wages has nothing to do with the construct.

Within the hierarchy of nursing staff you have RNs who are supervisors, managers, directors, educators, etc.. They often are under "management" category and thus not working class per se.

Again working, middle class and so on are constructs. It has more to do with associated perceptions and values than actual wages.

People holding Phd, doctorate, masters and even just lowly BofS degrees in theory should be middle class. But fact they drive a taxi, work at Starbucks, or any other job that involves exchange of labor directly for compensation *and* they punch a clock, makes them working class.

Old Today, 07:15 AM

3,744 posts, read 2,279,914 times
Quote:
Middle class is about finances, nothing else.
Depending on the definition one uses

Old Today, 07:16 AM

3,744 posts, read 2,279,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Why do you seem to think being a teacher is inherently a "smarter" job than being a nurse? Nurses have a vast knowledge of medical issues and have to apply that knowledge in real time.

And teacher salary varies a lot. In the NYC suburbs they tend to get paid a ton of money within 5 to 10 years.

And I've never heard of people with good salaries not being considered middle class just because they work non-intellectual jobs. Staten Island is the most prosperous borough and aside from some impoverished neighborhoods in the Northern part, it is widely middle class and up.
What does Staten Island have to do with this?

Are you saying that most people in Staten Island have blue collar jobs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or