U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Today, 08:11 AM
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
9,102 posts, read 7,335,294 times
Reputation: 8607

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Depending on the definition one uses
So a drowning in debt sociology major with a masters making $45,000 a year counseling drug addicts can by some definitions be considered middle class, but the cop sending him clients making $130,000 a year with no debt because they got 60 credits from a city college might not be?

Anyone who would define people that way is:

A) the poor sociologist

B) lacking self-esteem
__________________
"No Copyrighted Material"

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Today, 11:14 AM
 
3,744 posts, read 2,279,914 times
Reputation: 1817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
So a drowning in debt sociology major with a masters making $45,000 a year counseling drug addicts can by some definitions be considered middle class, but the cop sending him clients making $130,000 a year with no debt because they got 60 credits from a city college might not be?

Anyone who would define people that way is:

A) the poor sociologist

B) lacking self-esteem
Possibly.
And what does sociology or self-esteem have to do with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 11:16 AM
 
3,744 posts, read 2,279,914 times
Reputation: 1817
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Calling an RN working class is ridiculous. LPN and Home Attendants, yes. Some of those RNs are degreed and all had to pass exams so had to have some academic abilities.
Nurses have traditionally been considered working class.

Now with the advent of the Master's degree in Nursing, Nurse Practitioners, this is changing a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 11:24 AM
 
2,269 posts, read 705,933 times
Reputation: 1653
I've never heard anyone claim that class isn't primarily econonic based anywhere besides this forum. Are you upset that so many have made it to the middle class without college degrees?

Just think of the term MIDDLE class. What else could it possibly be the "middle" of? Or "poor", "wealthy", etc. They clearly refer to where people stand economically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 11:26 AM
 
3,744 posts, read 2,279,914 times
Reputation: 1817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I've never heard anyone claim that class isn't primarily econonic based anywhere besides this forum. Are you upset that so many have made it to the middle class without college degrees?

Just think of the term MIDDLE class. What else could it possibly be the "middle" of? Or "poor", "wealthy", etc. They clearly refer to where people stand economically.
Why would I be upset that people make it to the middle class?

Why is everyone so adamant about blue collar jobs leading to the middle class or even wealth? Are most of posters on this forum working class? Or without college degrees? Why the dismissive attitude toward college?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 11:35 AM
 
2,269 posts, read 705,933 times
Reputation: 1653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Why would I be upset that people make it to the middle class?

Why is everyone so adamant about blue collar jobs leading to the middle class or even wealth? Are most of posters on this forum working class? Or without college degrees? Why the dismissive attitude toward college?
Because of you referring to people making six figures as "working class" (a term typically used for low income people) just because they work blue collar jobs. Even though many blue collar jobs require a lot of training and skill. When you fly in airplanes, do you not think that the pilot is skilled?

I have nothing against going to college, but I don't think that economic class is determined by education. My neighbor growing up was an electrician, and he never finished college. His wife didn't even work. Yet he made so much money that his family truly lived the middle class American dream, and his kids were pretty spoiled and got what they wanted. How the hell would he be in the same economic class as a day laborer who is one or two paychecks away from not being able to pay rent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 11:55 AM
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
9,102 posts, read 7,335,294 times
Reputation: 8607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Possibly.
And what does sociology or self-esteem have to do with it?
Because only someone with low self esteem would attempt to push a definition which demeans those who’ve succeeded where they failed.
__________________
"No Copyrighted Material"

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 11:57 AM
 
3,744 posts, read 2,279,914 times
Reputation: 1817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Because only someone with low self esteem would attempt to push a definition which demeans those who’ve succeeded where they failed.
But I haven't failed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 11:57 AM
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
9,102 posts, read 7,335,294 times
Reputation: 8607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Because of you referring to people making six figures as "working class" (a term typically used for low income people) just because they work blue collar jobs. Even though many blue collar jobs require a lot of training and skill. When you fly in airplanes, do you not think that the pilot is skilled?

I have nothing against going to college, but I don't think that economic class is determined by education. My neighbor growing up was an electrician, and he never finished college. His wife didn't even work. Yet he made so much money that his family truly lived the middle class American dream, and his kids were pretty spoiled and got what they wanted. How the hell would he be in the same economic class as a day laborer who is one or two paychecks away from not being able to pay rent?
They can call me whatever they want.

I make well, well over 6 figures, own a home I pay double mortgage payments on, a car I pay triple payments on and another that’s less than 3 years old and has been paid off for over a year and have a 6 figure savings. Oh and I can retire with a great pension any day I decide I don’t want to work anymore.

My 70 credits was plenty of college.
__________________
"No Copyrighted Material"

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:01 PM
 
3,744 posts, read 2,279,914 times
Reputation: 1817
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Really? Do you think that a partner at Cravath would agree that he's in the same class as a public defender in some rural county in West Virginia, just because they both went to law school?
Of course. They are both lawyers. What is your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top