Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2019, 02:18 PM

19,039 posts, read 13,955,559 times

Advertisements

For some reason that’s a common assumption nowadays, typically amongst young people who were taught that any disagreement is evil.

If you think you have “triggered” me, you’re very wrong. Picture me laughing as you read my posts. While I’m not actually laughing, it is much closer to what you’d see if we were having this discussion in person.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2019, 02:19 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,597,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
For some reason that’s a common assumption nowadays, typically amongst young people who were taught that any disagreement is evil.

If you think you have “triggered” me, you’re very wrong. Picture me laughing as you read my posts. While I’m not actually laughing, it is much closer to what you’d see if we were having this discussion in person.
It seems that I have triggered you.

Old 10-05-2019, 02:21 PM

Are you a millennial?

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 10-05-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Are you a millennial?
Not even close. Why do you ask?

Old 10-05-2019, 02:34 PM

Because “I triggered you” is a typical millennial response to any disagreement. You can’t discuss any topic with them which might lead to even the slightest difference of opinion without being labeled as “triggered”.

Anyway, being a 70’s/80’s kid myself, the only way to trigger me is to leverage physical force against me or someone I love. I don’t care about most people enough for their opinions to elicit much more than a chuckle.

Old 10-05-2019, 03:15 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
What does Staten Island have to do with this?

Are you saying that most people in Staten Island have blue collar jobs?
Staten Island is the wealthiest borough by household income according to recent information. Large part of this is due to two things: high levels of home ownership, and large number of uniformed NYC civil servants and other municipal workers making very good livings. That and many are married to other "blue collar" workers (such as nurses) who also earn.

https://www.silive.com/news/2019/04/...tudy-says.html

https://www.silive.com/news/2016/01/...es_on_sta.html

Old 10-05-2019, 05:04 PM

[quote=BugsyPal;56340173]Staten Island is the wealthiest borough by household income according to recent information. Large part of this is due to two things: high levels of home ownership, and large number of uniformed NYC civil servants and other municipal workers making very good livings. That and many are married to other "blue collar" workers (such as nurses) who also earn.

https://www.silive.com/news/2016/01/...es_on_sta.html[/QUOTE

That's fine. But they still may be working class people.

Old 10-05-2019, 05:14 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,597,419 times
[quote=Shoshanarose;56340866]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Staten Island is the wealthiest borough by household income according to recent information. Large part of this is due to two things: high levels of home ownership, and large number of uniformed NYC civil servants and other municipal workers making very good livings. That and many are married to other "blue collar" workers (such as nurses) who also earn.

It is objectively the most middle class borough

Old 10-05-2019, 05:23 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
[quote=Shoshanarose;56340866]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

*sigh*

Again with this; class structures are constructs. It doesn't matter what you call someone, nor has it in decades.

As myself and others have pointed out numerous times throughout this tread many of those you people call "working class" could buy and sell half (or more) of the people posting on this forum ten times over, and still get back change.

Go out to large parts of SI, certain places in Brooklyn, Queens and Bronx, and you'll find plenty of "working class" households that *own* (not rent) their home or homes, have two or more rides (largely all paid for), kids in private schools, etc.... You don't see them here moaning and obsessing about "affordable" housing lotteries and other hand outs do you?

Some of you seem to have latched onto "working class" to equal working poor, they aren't the same thing at all.

Old 10-05-2019, 05:30 PM

1,045 posts, read 758,939 times
I've read somewhere that nurses are considered 'pink collar' or even white, rather than blue collar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City