U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:29 AM

1,974 posts, read 721,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Former Yugoslavia ? That was a miserable war.

Yes. And yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Are you defending wall street crooks like the folks at Enron? Why do you suppose that I feel that all successful people are crooks?

I never mentioned Enron (but since you did, the Fastow guy of Enron was fined $24,000,000 and got 10 years in jail, of which he served 6 because he closely cooperated with the investigation. I'm not defending him, I thought the sentence qas appropriate). But you spoke about Wall Street guys, which is a fairly broad generalization. Most of them are not crooks, and many of them end up not particularly rich because of the risks one has to take if one hopes for a major stock market success. If there were no stock market and people who run it by their willingness to invest, what kind of economy or standard of living would the US have in general? Would you be even owning your own refrigerator?

Okay, it is 1:30 am and I'm going to sleep. See you some other time, maybe.

Last edited by elnrgby; Yesterday at 11:52 AM..

Old Yesterday, 11:51 AM

Quote:
What I know is that I tell you my story. Others tell you theirs, and you dismiss it like it's insignificant. I am a tax payer, and a good citizen. I have not merited disrespect by officers in the past and I refuse to believe that I should

Okay, just one more reply. I have also not personally merited disrespect by the US immigration officials, but I know that many people in my group (ie, people seeking to immigrate to the US in general, and from my native country in particular) have merited it very much. I understand also that suspicion does not totally equal disrespect, and that suspicion directed at my group (ie, immigrants) is warranted due to incidence of criminality in a subset of immigrants, I know that the suspicion is not directed at me personally, and I do not care how many times I get fingerprinted because my fingerprints are not in any places that would be interesting to law enforcement. If profiling me keeps the US safe from some other immigrants who are the reason for profiling, then I do not mind being profiled. I do not mind at all.

Old Yesterday, 11:52 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,396,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
I never mentioned Enron (but since you did, the Fastow guy of Enron was fined $24,000,000 and got 10 years in jail, of which he served 6 because he closely cooperated with the investigation. I'm not defending him, I thought the sentence qas appropriate). But you spoke about Wall Street guys, which is a fairly broad generalization. Most of them are not crooks, and many of them end up not particularly rich because of the risks one has to take if one hopes for a major stock market success. If there were no stock market and people who run it by their willingness to invest, what kind of economy or standard of living would the US have in general? Would you be even owning your own refrigerator?

Pkay, it is 1:30 am and I'm going to sleep. See you some other time, maybe.
I am not anti-wall street at all. My thoughts are that when a non-violent crime is committed by wall street, the damage is a lot more than from some "broken windows" kid breaking and entering an apartment. The kid breaking and entering will only steal valuables that can be replaced, but stealing a 401K is not something that can easily be. Ironically, we give trust to "professionals" more than some kid. That's all I'm saying. Same can be said with corrupt politicians.

Old Yesterday, 12:01 PM

20,349 posts, read 35,360,086 times
Quote:
That is true, but so what? I have been in the US for 36 years, and if anything I am far more cautious about certain types of people (not defined by skin, of course, but by behavioral features) than I was when I just came into the US - based, of course, on direct experience. Notice that I never extrapolate to ALL members of any group, and recognize (as NYPD recognizes as well) that decent people outnumber rotten ones in every social group - it is just that rotten ones are more numerous in some groups, that is a statistical fact. If you are NYPD and you are called 300 times per year about a certain violent crime that has been comitted, and out of these 300 there are 298 perpetrators who belong to group A, while 2 belong to group B, which group are you going to screen more carefully to prevent the future crimes of the same kind?
You continue to not get it

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM

3,887 posts, read 1,467,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You continue to not get it
He does not want to. Point blank period. Maybe he wants to believe the US is so much better then where he escaped from a prejudice angle for his peace of mind

Old Yesterday, 12:09 PM

20,349 posts, read 35,360,086 times
Quote:
He does not want to. Point blank period. Maybe he wants to believe the US is so much better then where he escaped from a prejudice angle for his peace of mind
She's a female

One that is just not used to this type of social environment, and hence the lacking of comprehension on the topic

She's akin to transplants who move here from suburban or rural locales

Not one ounce of empathy either

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old Yesterday, 12:16 PM

9,102 posts, read 7,335,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Ugh. I'll never forget the time as a kid, when I watched the news clip of a mortar going off in a government's building.
I'll never forget my 4 tours over there.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old Yesterday, 12:20 PM

778 posts, read 265,960 times
Quote:
I have walked around with a Thick Foreign Accent for 36 years, so I do get it. Prior to that I spent my first 23 years in the circumstances of ethnic discrimination (which ultimately led to a civil war) of the intensity that you cannot imagine. That is why I fully get it when people are aproppriately concerned, and when they are just seeking special provileges (including getting away with murder and other major forms of selfish, antisocial behavior) for their special group.
I don't understand. If you know how it feels to be on the receiving end of something such as ethnic discrimination then why are you so ok with ethnic profiling? Take a look at the Corey Lewis situation and how that could have ended bad because he was profiled while doing his job.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE5Deu9_I_g

If we cannot learn from our history it is doomed to repeat. for instance the Irish are sometimes the most racist towards blacks and Hispanics and many of them are in city jobs like NYPD, FDNY, Sanitation. Quickly how they forgot when they first came to this country they themselves were discriminated against and couldn't find work so they ended up getting the dirty immigrant jobs.

Old Yesterday, 12:27 PM

3,887 posts, read 1,467,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I'll never forget my 4 tours over there.
Imagine the Albanians, Montenegrans, Serbians, Macedonians, Croatians, and Romanians all look identical. It's just their languages, Religions, and just what characters they use to write their language in that makes them mortal enemies. Imagine if they actually looked different from each other as our various groups do ? Imagine throwing that extra wrinkle into the Balkans. Crazy to think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City