U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:53 PM

4,446 posts, read 1,177,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
To be raised by taxpayers because you know Eric wasn't going to.

Anyway, taxpayers ended paying his family for his death. He lives, we lose. He dies, we lose.
Isn't this system wonderful?
Opinion:
Hope others thinking of acting stupid towards a cop learn a big lesson from this tragedy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:12 PM

8,520 posts, read 5,551,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
The main cause of his death was his resisting arrest. If he would have complied he would have been out of jail before the arresting officers completed their paperwork. And he’d be free to impregnate another baby momma.
Homeboy had 7 kids with the latest one being an infant. Not sure how he was paying for all those kids.

Old Yesterday, 03:23 PM

3,755 posts, read 1,453,017 times
Well hopefully his death may do some good if he leads to others just cooperating in the arrest as peacefully as possible. In HS in social studies we were given a talk about what to do if a officer approached you. How to keep your head. InFact, when in HS my friends, both tall black men and me a tall brown guy, were near the turnstiles waiting for a train. That was the time when lots of token booths were robbed around 1986. There was a white transit cop there looking at us. We were talking and he was watching us suspiciously. We then talked a little louder about our school work. The officer after a minute or two overheard something we said about school work and related to it. Then he spoke to us and then we all started to laugh and talk about something we all had in common about College applications or something. Cop said he wondered what we were all doing there. We told him safest place to be on the subway is near the conductor or token booth. It never occurred to him that 3 big minorities would want to be in the safest place on the platform and he laughed. He enjoyed the conversation and we did to. Seeing people as fellow human beings is the key. Problem get started when you visualize people as " Savages " or racists from the jump.

Old Yesterday, 03:30 PM

4,739 posts, read 4,196,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I find this happens a lot, from my point of view, but this was a really obvious example.

The perpetual primary discussion issue was whether or not there was an illegal choke-hold. It always seemed to me that a primary discussion might have been, why is the police expending so much manpower/force on someone selling loose cigarettes? And then there's the broader issue of whether ultimately a main reason for his death was his being overweight.
Listen, this is exactly what I was talking about when the O Neil fired Pantaleo... you do not use that much police resources, manpower and excessive force on someone that’s just selling cigarettes... Gardner didn’t have a criminal history so wtf did he lose his life for? Nothing. PD was stupid for this, and there was no way to spin or cover it up. I keep telling people this over and over again.. this is a new time we’re in, and those days where you do stupid sh** with no accountability is over. This Big Brother sh** works against PD too cause they’re being watched more than ever. Things go viral quickly. They already have a bad rep as it is, and need to take progressive steps to get better... I see where they’re trying to establish direct relationships with the community but... even the neighborhood gossip be wrong. They’ve got to figure out a way to get people to talk to them without a fear of retaliation. The Gardner family deserved every penny of the settlement, and a grip more.

Until then, guess what? The NYPD will remain sh**

There has got to be a complete reconfiguration of the NYPD...

Take those officers with a long history of trouble, racist, lazy officers, mentally ill officers etc off of the street.. make sure each officer is physically fit to chase after offenders

Old Yesterday, 03:31 PM

1,959 posts, read 718,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Several studies have argued that many of the apparent successes of broken windows policing (such as New York City in the 1990s) were the result of other factors. Correlation is not causality. The crime rate went down in many places that did not have broken windows policing.

(Thacher, David (2004). "Order Maintenance Reconsidered: Moving beyond Strong Causal Reasoning" (PDF). Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology. 94 (2) )
http://scholarlycommons.law.northwes...2&context=jclc

Also see:
Broken Windows and Zero Tolerance: Policing Urban Crimes

C. R. Sridhar
Economic and Political Weekly
Vol. 41, No. 19 (May 13-19, 2006), pp. 1841-1843

I'm far away at the moment, but here in Singapore there are huge monetary fines for littering and even chewing gum (because if you stick a gum somewhere, it is very hard to clean). This equivalent of "broken windows" policy is most definitely associated with high degree of civilized everyday behavior and nearly zero crime in this city-state, pop. 5.8 million. ANY violent crime, when it rarely happens, is a front-page news for weeks. They have capital punishment, ie, they do hang a few people almost every year (it appears mostly drug dealers, in the absence of any direct murderers. Possession of more than 30 grams of cocaine is a capital offense). 95% of Singaporean voters support capital punishment. This place, with a population equal to almost 3/4 of all five boroughs of NYC and almost 1/2 larger than the population of LA, is entirely safe, anywhere in the city, 24 hours a day. There is no such thing as a ghetto or unsafe neighborhood. The closest it comes to a ghetto are two city blocks in Little India with legalized brothels (sort of like in Amsterdam), but even these two blocks are just sleazy, not dangerous. You can design a "social study" to show pretty much anything that the author wants it to show, but when you look at the definite reality of crime-free Singapore, you must admit that strict law enforcement at all levels (from fines for littering, to subsequently less and less necessary hanging for murder) does create a safe society.

Old Yesterday, 04:05 PM

9,077 posts, read 7,327,606 times
Eric Garner was a fat piece of crap who ruined good people’s lives through his criminal behavior, culminating in costing a good cop his job and others any chance of career enhancement. Whoever right now is walking around about to become the next Eric Garner, my only hope is their various impediments catch up to them before some unlucky cop who is not smart enough to ignore whatever the loser is involved in gets in trouble for their inevitable death.

As for Tomkinsville Park, I hope the cops who work in that area continue to steer clear of it. Let it continue to be the crap hole it was then. Why risk your job for people who hate you? Blinders baby, blinders!

While I respect guys like PO Mulkeen, I don’t know what they are thinking. He died trying to take a gun off of a street in a total crap neighborhood that would never effect his family in any way, shape or form. Who cares? Punch in, punch out, build a fat pension and leave this city behind. Police work is done. DON’T DO IT!

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old Yesterday, 05:00 PM

62 posts, read 14,264 times
Why are we talking about this? Criminals give all kinds of excuses.

Old Yesterday, 05:30 PM

11,266 posts, read 9,616,319 times
Having lived directly through it and watching it happen, I categorically reject that entire concept. The changes in law enforcement that occurred in the early 90's were unquestionably the cause of the rapid reduction of crime in that time frame. Any other explanation are likely just liberal academic claptrap, meant to further the left wing, police are evil mentality, and push the failed social services methodology for trying to solve the crime problem.

Aggressive policing and an unforgiving criminal justice system work. What happened in NYC and really the rest of the country in the 90's and 00's prove it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Several studies have argued that many of the apparent successes of broken windows policing (such as New York City in the 1990s) were the result of other factors. Correlation is not causality. The crime rate went down in many places that did not have broken windows policing.

(Thacher, David (2004). "Order Maintenance Reconsidered: Moving beyond Strong Causal Reasoning" (PDF). Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology. 94 (2) )
http://scholarlycommons.law.northwes...2&context=jclc

Also see:
Broken Windows and Zero Tolerance: Policing Urban Crimes

C. R. Sridhar
Economic and Political Weekly
Vol. 41, No. 19 (May 13-19, 2006), pp. 1841-1843

Old Yesterday, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Eric Garner was a fat piece of crap who ruined good people’s lives through his criminal behavior, culminating in costing a good cop his job and others any chance of career enhancement. Whoever right now is walking around about to become the next Eric Garner, my only hope is their various impediments catch up to them before some unlucky cop who is not smart enough to ignore whatever the loser is involved in gets in trouble for their inevitable death.

As for Tomkinsville Park, I hope the cops who work in that area continue to steer clear of it. Let it continue to be the crap hole it was then. Why risk your job for people who hate you? Blinders baby, blinders!

While I respect guys like PO Mulkeen, I don’t know what they are thinking. He died trying to take a gun off of a street in a total crap neighborhood that would never effect his family in any way, shape or form. Who cares? Punch in, punch out, build a fat pension and leave this city behind. Police work is done. DON’T DO IT!
The Edenwald projects has very many good people. The area around Edenwald has many middle class families and many nice one and two family homes. Many outstanding people. Why would you just diminish a while community? Does that help ? Also let's see where did the gun come from ? Did he get that gun in a State with lax gun laws ? Bad people get their guns often in Southern States with no gun laws and they kill cops. You have checked out and just get paid. But maybe your anger is misplaced.

Old Yesterday, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post

The Edenwald projects has very many good people. The area around Edenwald has many middle class families and many nice one and two family homes. Many outstanding people. Why would you just diminish a while community? Does that help ? Also let's see where did the gun come from ? Did he get that gun in a State with lax gun laws ? Bad people get their guns often in Southern States with no gun laws and they kill cops. You have checked out and just get paid. But maybe your anger is misplaced. I love you man, but you live paralyzed in a mental default position where you lash out and hate people and places. You see people as bad that are not. You for your own happiness have change the way you think. It's for your own good man. Stop hating people and generalizing entire communities.

Last edited by bxlover; Yesterday at 06:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City