Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2019, 10:50 AM

34,081 posts, read 47,278,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
Why do I believe that you would be happy if things return back to the days of Jim Crow laws

I don't see anyone painting all Catholics with the same brush even though their priests have a extensive history of molesting kids. So why is it ok to paint al blacks/ Hispanics with 1 brush because some of them commit crimes?

Post 9/11. a few Muslim extremists decide to commit a terrible act. next day all Muslimism are painted as terrorists.
She's probably only seen Black people in real life when she first came to the US so I get it

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2019, 10:54 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,386,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
The only way you would ever comprehend my point is if you would be able to experience what it would be like to walk around Black for a day. So you will never get it.

I have walked around with a Thick Foreign Accent for 36 years, so I do get it. Prior to that I spent my first 23 years in the circumstances of ethnic discrimination (which ultimately led to a civil war) of the intensity that you cannot imagine. That is why I fully get it when people are aproppriately concerned, and when they are just seeking special provileges (including getting away with murder and other major forms of selfish, antisocial behavior) for their special group.

Old 10-04-2019, 10:56 AM

6,685 posts, read 6,029,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Why do you believe that? Because irrational negative beliefs about sucessful people make an unsucessful person feel better about himself/herself?
Are you defending wall street crooks like the folks at Enron? Why do you suppose that I feel that all successful people are crooks?

Old 10-04-2019, 10:59 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,597,722 times
Quote:
You got that completely upside down. It is absolutely not true that the much higher reported crime rate among non-whites in NYC is the result of greater surveillance over the non-whites. Looking at the ACTUAL crimes committed in NYC, when police is called because an actual (not potential, but real) crime has been comitted - how often is the perpetrator white vs. how often non-white? Police extrapolates the risk of potential crime (and distributes theor patrols accordingly) based upon the incidents of actual crime, not the way around.
You say I completely got this wrong but it's you who speak in absolutes. I can see aspects of your argument but you can't see any merit in mine. People cannot advance and work in good faith unless the other can see some validity in the others experiences. We cannot advance further in the discussion I am afraid. That's a shame.

Old 10-04-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
She's probably only seen Black people in real life when she first came to the US so I get it

That is true, but so what? I have been in the US for 36 years, and if anything I am far more cautious about certain types of people (not defined by skin, of course, but by behavioral features) than I was when I just came into the US - based, of course, on direct experience. Notice that I never extrapolate to ALL members of any group, and recognize (as NYPD recognizes as well) that decent people outnumber rotten ones in every social group - it is just that rotten ones are more numerous in some groups, that is a statistical fact. If you are NYPD and you are called 300 times per year about a certain violent crime that has been comitted, and out of these 300 there are 298 perpetrators who belong to group A, while 2 belong to group B, which group are you going to screen more carefully to prevent the future crimes of the same kind?

Old 10-04-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
I have walked around with a Thick Foreign Accent for 36 years, so I do get it. Prior to that I spent my first 23 years in the circumstances of ethnic discrimination (which ultimately led to a civil war) of the intensity that you cannot imagine. That is why I fully get it when people are aproppriately concerned, and when they are just seeking special provileges (including getting away with murder and other major forms of selfish, antisocial behavior) for their special group.
Former Yugoslavia ? That was a miserable war.

Old 10-04-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Former Yugoslavia ? That was a miserable war. If that was the place you migrated from. Imagine the violence you witnesses caused by ethnic and religious differences and the people otherwise look exactly alike.

Old 10-04-2019, 11:16 AM

6,685 posts, read 6,029,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Former Yugoslavia ? That was a miserable war. If that was the place you migrated from. Imagine the violence you witnesses caused by ethnic and religious differences and the people otherwise look exactly alike.
Ugh. I'll never forget the time as a kid, when I watched the news clip of a mortar going off in a government's building.

Old 10-04-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
You say I completely got this wrong but it's you who speak in absolutes. I can see aspects of your argument but you can't see any merit in mine. People cannot advance and work in good faith unless the other can see some validity in the others experiences. We cannot advance further in the discussion I am afraid. That's a shame.

No, you got it way around again - I do not speak in absolutes. In every post about increased crime rates among certain racial/ethnic groups in NYC, I made it very clear that I consider the great majority of people in these racial groups (ie, Blacks and Latinos) to be solid, non-criminal people - BUT also, a great majority of serious criminals in NYC comes from these two groups (notice that I am NOT speaking in absolutes - I said the great majority, not all. Some serious NYC criminals are also Russian, Albanian, whatever other whites - but they are not the majority, partly due to the fact that their ethnic groups do not comprise 55% of the population of NYC. And stay assured that NYPD keeps a watchful eye on white sub-groups known to be involved in crime statistically more frequently). Not every fruit is an apple, but almost all apples are fruit (those that aren't fruit are made of plastic) - do you understand that basic logical concept, the concept of a set and subset? And if you are looking for apples in a supermarket, you will generally go and profile the fruit section, even though that particular supermarket may turn out not to carry any apples.

Old 10-04-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
No, you got it way around again - I do not speak in absolutes. In every post about increased crime rates among certain racial/ethnic groups in NYC, I made it very clear that I consider the great majority of people in these racial groups (ie, Blacks and Latinos) to be solid, non-criminal people - BUT also, a great majority of serious criminals in NYC comes from these two groups (notice that I am NOT speaking in absolutes - I said the great majority, not all. Some serious NYC criminals are also Russian, Albanian, whatever other whites - but they are not the majority, partly due to the fact that their ethnic groups do not comprise 55% of the population of NYC. And stay assured that NYPD keeps a watchful eye on white sub-groups known to be involved in crime statistically more frequently). Not every fruit is an apple, but almost all apples are fruit (those that aren't fruit are made of plastic) - do you understand that basic logical concept, the concept of a set and subset? And if you are looking for apples in a supermarket, you will generally go and profile the fruit section, even though that particular supermarket may turn out not to carry any apples.
What I know is that I tell you my story. Others tell you theirs, and you dismiss it like it's insignificant. I am a tax payer, and a good citizen. I have not merited disrespect by officers in the past and I refuse to believe that I should
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City