U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:18 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,554,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
They have been leaving for decades now. They have been going into NJ, LI, Westchester. And now people in those places are moving out of state.

People want new opportunities, greener pastures, cheaper living.
I think Italian Americans are going to stay in the Tri State area, though.

Many want to live near their family, which is very important for them.

Also Italians are among the most financially successful ethnic groups in America, even compared to other whites so they don't have to worry about being priced out, as opposed to other groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:25 AM

2,235 posts, read 697,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
I think Italian Americans are going to stay in the Tri State area, though.

Many want to live near their family, which is very important for them.

Also Italians are among the most financially successful ethnic groups in America, even compared to other whites so they don't have to worry about being priced out, as opposed to other groups.
There are Italians all over the country, I'm sure it's not important for all of them to be near New York.

Old Yesterday, 11:49 AM

8,392 posts, read 3,727,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
There are Italians all over the country, I'm sure it's not important for all of them to be near New York.
While that is true, some cultures are known to have a presence in certain areas such as the Jews. You may find Jews spread out here and there, but they are still concentrated here in NYC. They have a base here and that means a lot for many reasons that should be obvious.

Old Yesterday, 11:56 AM

8,536 posts, read 20,598,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
...as if it weren't already painfully obvious...

Because schools make teachers that are White take mandatory ethnic sensitivity training, or lose their jobs, because they're White.....................
This is total BS. I'm a white NYC teacher who teaches in The Bronx and have not had to take any ethnic sensitivity training. None scheduled either.
And no other white teachers in my school ( and there are a lot) have had any such training either.

Where does this kind of crap come from?

Old Yesterday, 12:27 PM

10 posts, read 979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
This is total BS. I'm a white NYC teacher who teaches in The Bronx and have not had to take any ethnic sensitivity training. None scheduled either.
And no other white teachers in my school ( and there are a lot) have had any such training either.

Since you really do teach in NYC I believe you but at the same it is not far fetched to consider they are making Diversity Training the new norm. A quick Google search for Cultural Diversity Training reveals plenty of evidence that this thing is very real, and it is probably coming to a theater near you very soon. This includes Sensitivity Training to name a few.

Old Yesterday, 12:30 PM

1,536 posts, read 864,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post

From principals in Brooklyn who told me they did take such training, based on Richard Carranza's new initiative.

Old Yesterday, 12:35 PM

4,445 posts, read 1,177,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
You know, the old-school white middle class NYCers from southern Brooklyn, Staten Island, Bensonhurst, Morris Park, etc.

Why are they leaving the city in droves for LI, upstate NY, NJ, PA, NC, AZ?

The Koch-Giuliani-Bloomberg coalition of middle class whites.

Why are some of their children and grandchildren staying in the city?

Opnion:
The same reason generations of minorities suckling the New York Teet are staying put.

Old Yesterday, 12:38 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,554,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay443 View Post
Since you really do teach in NYC I believe you but at the same it is not far fetched to consider they are making Diversity Training the new norm. A quick Google search for Cultural Diversity Training reveals plenty of evidence that this thing is very real, and it is probably coming to a theater near you very soon. This includes Sensitivity Training to name a few.
And why is cultural diversity training such a bad thing?

Old Yesterday, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
And why is cultural diversity training such a bad thing?
I just don't trust it because Richard Carranza seems like the type to guilt people for being white

Old Yesterday, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
While that is true, some cultures are known to have a presence in certain areas such as the Jews. You may find Jews spread out here and there, but they are still concentrated here in NYC. They have a base here and that means a lot for many reasons that should be obvious.
There are a ton of Italians in the Midwest though. As well as PA + New England
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or