U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 08:23 PM

2,270 posts, read 2,241,990 times

Advertisements

Is it even possible? How do lower income folks find a place to live in the most expensive city in the USA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 08:32 PM

653 posts, read 612,990 times
Question is, why settle on NYC. If theres nothing holding you back like family, why not move down south or even another country?

Old 10-02-2019, 08:11 AM

2,078 posts, read 2,245,558 times
If you’re currently a New York State resident, you can go on a waiting list for a Mitchell Lama development. Some are rentals and the rest are limited-equity co-ops. Veterans get preference.

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/hpd/down...sts-Status.pdf

Old 10-02-2019, 11:55 AM

770 posts, read 264,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
Is it even possible? How do lower income folks find a place to live in the most expensive city in the USA?
New York City is expensive, New York is not. look towards the outer boroughs.

Old 10-02-2019, 12:04 PM

318 posts, read 80,545 times
The city used to have a law that all combat veterans are automatically allowed a peddler's license. I have three cousins and a bunch of friends who served in Viet Nam. A few of these guys got their peddler's license and made bank all over town selling whatever they thought would make money. Set up a table and start collecting $20 bills for sitting in a chair all day. Big money. Good luck to you, Sir.

Old 10-02-2019, 12:33 PM

2,806 posts, read 2,128,788 times
Thank you for your service!

I wish I can offer some solution, but there is really none here. You got greedy landlords. You got politician looking for ways to make themselves look good. You got people living in the city only care about themselves and no body else.

I strongly suggest you stay out of NYC if you have a choice, but if you don’t, just keep fighting, I hope you will settle down no matter where you are.

Old 10-02-2019, 02:09 PM

11,274 posts, read 9,624,463 times
There are a million lotteries for affordable apartments in new developments. See all the threads on lotteries on this forum. There is a clearing house website run by the state that lists all of these.

If you can afford the "affordable" rent is a different question.

Old 10-02-2019, 03:11 PM

521 posts, read 135,477 times
Nycha?

Old Yesterday, 03:06 PM

2,363 posts, read 709,402 times
If OP didn't join in 2014 I honestly would think this is a troll post. Pointless to talk about the housing lottery or NYCHA - They are all catch 22s. You either make too much or not enough. OP's situation probably it's the latter.

It's almost the year 2020 and we still have people who somehow end up broke and stranded in Manhattan of all places.

I just can't relate to 99% of people I guess. I was raised with a mentality that I am not a trust fund baby. Nothing in life will be handed to me. You need to use whatever legal methods you can to eat and survive. I grew up in a decent area, whereas my parents grew up in Brownsville in the 70's and Baisely Projects area. I was told at a young age how much the rent was, what types of jobs and people were able to afford this rent and what I needed to do to maintain this lifestyle keep my head in the books, not be a knucklehead make the right decisions and don't hang with losers. I guess a lot of these transplants and mysterious individuals who find themselves working at Applebees, living 5 to a 2 bedroom, no family in NYC, no connections were raised to dream big and "reach for the stars".....

During low times you'll need to rely on family and friends. If you have no family or friends you need to mitigate your losses ($$$) and live a military lifestyle until you have enough for emergencies.

What was OP's life plan at age 16, 32 and 45? I am just very confused more so on the mentality and the naivety than his/her circumstance itself.

These people are living in a dream world. Who told you that you could survive in NYC on a fixed income???? Please point me to that person so I can throw them into the East River.

I'm really struggling to put myself in their shoes. At a young age I was shown relatives living in the ghetto and it did not look comfortable. Poverty was never an option for me and if I fell on hard times it's not like I would attempt not to rely on family to preserve some foolhardy sense of pride. Yes - There are orphans and people whose parents have died and my condolences to them - HOWEVER, the vast majority of Americans pride themselves on INDEPENDENCE and being as far away from family as possible. This leads them to being broke and stranded with the cup out for change or worse - Strung out on drugs from the stress.

Most in poverty are people too PRIDEFUL to rely on family and friends. If I had no family or friends in NYC I would not be here. Plain and simple. My Grandfathers came up here for WORK. If the WORK and adequate MONEY is NOT here - Then guess what you need to GO where it is!

You will NOT catch me living in NYC at age 55 or beyond....Unless they are paying me $1M a year. So if you still see me here, it's because I'm some Sr. Exec in a very cushy position - But more likely than not I'm gone....

People need to WISE UP - OP being a Vet you have access to tons of programs if you are discharged without incident...These opportunities are NATIONWIDE...Why are you WILLINGLY broke in NYC???

Old Yesterday, 03:59 PM

4,468 posts, read 1,183,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
If you’re currently a New York State resident, you can go on a waiting list for a Mitchell Lama development. Some are rentals and the rest are limited-equity co-ops. Veterans get preference.

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/hpd/down...sts-Status.pdf
Opinion:
I remember Luna Park falling under that category. If that still holds true it would not be a bad investment.
Close to beaches,amusement,aquarium,shopping,restaurants and Subway to Manhattan nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or