U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:06 PM

6 posts, read 878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlex View Post
If you can pay for 2 medallions in cash, then it is still a good investment. Buying just one is not going to work because you will be required to drive the cab. And financing for two is going to be hard to get.
Could you give me some link about that requirement? I cannot find it by myself.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:34 PM

11,274 posts, read 9,624,463 times
I'm not minority, so I haven't had this problem. But, especially nowadays, it would happen to be once before I did the following:

Any time I tried to hail a cab, my cell camera would be recording video (and more importantly, audio), I'd get the medallion number as the cab pulled up, and keep recording as I got in the cab. I'd probably try to get the hack license on video ASAP If the cabbie pulled any of the crap you list, the camera records his face directly as I tell him either he gives me the ride, or a complaint, along with the video goes to the TLC. From what I've heard, they do take these things seriously, especially with ironclad evidence. Even in the old days, I'd carry a tape recorder, narrate the parts that are only visual (medallion and hack license number) and get the guys voice on tape.

Of course, nowadays, the chickens have come home to roost, and you can do rideshare. But if the city clamps down on the number of rideshare cars/drives too much, they'll do it also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
that uber nonsense help put the yellow cabs in their place from discriminating against people like me. If you ever been in similar scenario below you understand why most people don't give a rats ass about the NYC cabbies:

- told you must pay in cash before they start driving to your destination.
- kicked out of the cab once you tell them your destination is in the Bronx
- avoid picking you up but pick up the white individual further up on the same block
- when someone just jump out and you jump in and they tell you they off the clock

Old Today, 08:09 AM

157 posts, read 72,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by binghamton2019 View Post
Could you give me some link about that requirement? I cannot find it by myself.
Thanks.
I don't have a link. I spoke to a medallion owner a few years back who explained that one needs 1+ medallions in order to not have to operate the car. That's some sort of TLC regulation.

Old Today, 12:14 PM

20,341 posts, read 35,352,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I'm not minority, so I haven't had this problem. But, especially nowadays, it would happen to be once before I did the following:

Any time I tried to hail a cab, my cell camera would be recording video (and more importantly, audio), I'd get the medallion number as the cab pulled up, and keep recording as I got in the cab. I'd probably try to get the hack license on video ASAP If the cabbie pulled any of the crap you list, the camera records his face directly as I tell him either he gives me the ride, or a complaint, along with the video goes to the TLC. From what I've heard, they do take these things seriously, especially with ironclad evidence. Even in the old days, I'd carry a tape recorder, narrate the parts that are only visual (medallion and hack license number) and get the guys voice on tape.

Of course, nowadays, the chickens have come home to roost, and you can do rideshare. But if the city clamps down on the number of rideshare cars/drives too much, they'll do it also.
If I have to do all that in order to simply pay somebody to take me from point A to point B then its not worth it

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old Today, 01:09 PM

3,349 posts, read 1,672,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlex View Post
I don't have a link. I spoke to a medallion owner a few years back who explained that one needs 1+ medallions in order to not have to operate the car. That's some sort of TLC regulation.
This part of it has alot to do with becoming a fleet. Different insurance requirements,as you now have a staff. Cant quote specifics.

The indie owner would have 2 drivers ,or work that 80 hr work week for self. Maybe a son or family can work weekends.

My neighborhood is full of cab drivers. Father and son, or owner and a person of confidence. Some of these neighbors run 2 Ubers, with 4 drivers too. And they are homeowners with kids in private school.yellow/green/uber ,don't matter.

Some medallions are only for handing cap Van's nowadays.

And to top off, new car needed every 4 years ( something like that).

Still,no boss to deal with,on a rolling business is the biggest perk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City