U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-02-2019, 05:05 PM
 
1,312 posts, read 1,560,468 times
Reputation: 1007

Advertisements

Is the relationship between Blacks and Hispanics waning in New York City?

I feel since there are more Hispanics and they are becoming more mainstream in American society, there is less of that cohesion among Hispanics and blacks that you saw in the 90s.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-02-2019, 05:08 PM
 
298 posts, read 146,801 times
Reputation: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
Is the relationship between Blacks and Hispanics waning in New York City?

I feel since there are more Hispanics and they are becoming more mainstream in American society, there is less of that cohesion among Hispanics and blacks that you saw in the 90s.

Any thoughts?
Anything you want to add other than your own feeling ? Examples, facts, stats - you know, the data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2019, 05:15 PM
 
3,902 posts, read 1,472,582 times
Reputation: 1817
Depends on the Latinos maybe. Puerto Rican and African Americans might be family at this point IMHO. Dominicans and blacks maybe less so. Colombians and Ecuadorians couldn't tell ya.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2019, 05:24 PM
 
1,089 posts, read 1,305,311 times
Reputation: 933
Barbershop news
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2019, 05:31 PM
 
2,289 posts, read 708,290 times
Reputation: 1672
Any answers to this will be super anecdotal.

But most Puerto Ricans and Dominicans in NYC plus a large chunk of Mexicans adopt their speech and fashion from AAs, so there's that.

It seems like black + PR/DR friendships are more common than with Mexicans and Ecuadorians who mostly just hang out with other Latinos, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2019, 06:07 PM
 
1,312 posts, read 1,560,468 times
Reputation: 1007
Quote:
Originally Posted by speediestevie View Post
Anything you want to add other than your own feeling ? Examples, facts, stats - you know, the data.
Well, personally, I feel that since Puerto Ricans make up less of the share of the Latino population it might be that the relation between blacks and Hispanics may not be so strong.

I think Puerto Ricans, compared to other Latinos, have a closer bond to African Americans, since they are U.S. citizens and arrived to the city in the 50s and many of their struggles are similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2019, 06:47 PM
 
2,890 posts, read 3,826,655 times
Reputation: 3462
My only hypothesis is the city's mixture has changed, with many PR people leaving and being replaced by Mexicans and Central Americans, whose countries have had limited contact with African descended people's compared to Cubans, PR, DR, etc. Add into the mix many Black NYers are now African/Haitian/Jamaican, and thus have their own people to look to, and there's less of a "click" there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2019, 06:52 PM
 
298 posts, read 146,801 times
Reputation: 260
So if we take Far Rockaways as example, a mixed community where a lot of Latinos and AAs etc live. Although I don’t live there my impression is it’s a community where a lot of people know and look out for each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2019, 06:57 PM
 
2,289 posts, read 708,290 times
Reputation: 1672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
My only hypothesis is the city's mixture has changed, with many PR people leaving and being replaced by Mexicans and Central Americans, whose countries have had limited contact with African descended people's compared to Cubans, PR, DR, etc. Add into the mix many Black NYers are now African/Haitian/Jamaican, and thus have their own people to look to, and there's less of a "click" there.
Even so, I would argue that a large chunk of this country's Mexican-American population is heavily influenced by AA culture even when they don't have black friends.

But I agree with you overall. Also, a lot of Hispanics in NYC live in neighborhoods without many black people (and vice versa).

Last edited by Foamposite; 10-02-2019 at 07:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2019, 07:47 PM
 
1,312 posts, read 1,560,468 times
Reputation: 1007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Even so, I would argue that a large chunk of this country's Mexican-American population is heavily influenced by AA culture even when they don't have black friends.

But I agree with you overall. Also, a lot of Hispanics in NYC live in neighborhoods without many black people (and vice versa).
In Cali, I donít see Mexicans really being heavily influenced by AA culture. They have their own coculture going on there and if anything I see Cali and Texas Mexicans gravitating more towards Anglo over African American culture:

In NYC and NJ I could see Mexicans assimilate more towards African American culture (as well as PR/DR culture)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top