U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 06:13 AM
 
3,822 posts, read 1,463,757 times
Reputation: 1783

Advertisements

The poster for the new Joker movie has the character on a set of steep stairs that I immediately recognized from the West Bronx. This particular one on 169 off off Jerome Ave. The Bronx has dozens of these kind of steps in the West Bronx from the south to Riverdale. I had a unique set of stairs in front of my living room window on 183 from Tiebout to Webster Ave, that I used daily. Any stairs like this in the other boroughs ? Any one know how the City maintains them ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 06:24 AM
 
11,456 posts, read 22,060,720 times
Reputation: 9086
Manhattan - 215th St.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSq_ry0F7sQ

I have never heard of any in Brooklyn or Queens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:30 AM
 
3,822 posts, read 1,463,757 times
Reputation: 1783
Those steps look darn right luxurious
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:17 AM
 
Location: Confines of the 101 Precinct
20,332 posts, read 35,352,115 times
Reputation: 8750
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
The poster for the new Joker movie has the character on a set of steep stairs that I immediately recognized from the West Bronx. This particular one on 169 off off Jerome Ave. The Bronx has dozens of these kind of steps in the West Bronx from the south to Riverdale. I had a unique set of stairs in front of my living room window on 183 from Tiebout to Webster Ave, that I used daily. Any stairs like this in the other boroughs ? Any one know how the City maintains them ?
DOT is in charge of maintaining them.

I fondly remember those stairs on Tiebout, back in the 1980s walking over there was an adventure

Here's some links on NYC step streets:

https://forgotten-ny.com/1999/06/ste...-in-the-bronx/

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...3/step-streets
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:52 AM
 
11,456 posts, read 22,060,720 times
Reputation: 9086
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
DOT is in charge of maintaining them.

I fondly remember those stairs on Tiebout, back in the 1980s walking over there was an adventure

Here's some links on NYC step streets:

https://forgotten-ny.com/1999/06/ste...-in-the-bronx/

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...3/step-streets
There must be some in Queens, then. Your last link says: "Wondering where your borough ranks in terms of step streets? After the Bronx, Manhattan has the most step streets, followed by Queens, Staten Island and Brooklyn."

The other link says: "Many of these step streets–there are dozens–are found in upper Manhattan and the Bronx, as well as northeast Staten Island, the hilliest areas of New York City. There are also a few scattered in Bay Ridge and Highland Park sections of Brooklyn."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:05 AM
 
11,456 posts, read 22,060,720 times
Reputation: 9086
Bay Ridge step streets. https://forgotten-ny.com/2010/10/bay...-step-streets/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:07 AM
 
Location: New York City
8,516 posts, read 6,507,788 times
Reputation: 6310
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
The poster for the new Joker movie has the character on a set of steep stairs that I immediately recognized from the West Bronx?
Really? I immediately recognized them from Washington Heights. hmm



Last edited by BlakeJones; Yesterday at 08:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:35 AM
 
Location: Confines of the 101 Precinct
20,332 posts, read 35,352,115 times
Reputation: 8750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
There must be some in Queens, then. Your last link says: "Wondering where your borough ranks in terms of step streets? After the Bronx, Manhattan has the most step streets, followed by Queens, Staten Island and Brooklyn."

The other link says: "Many of these step streets–there are dozens–are found in upper Manhattan and the Bronx, as well as northeast Staten Island, the hilliest areas of New York City. There are also a few scattered in Bay Ridge and Highland Park sections of Brooklyn."
I know of at least one somewhere in western Queens, I think Woodside, but I forgot exactly where. I stumbled across it on Google Street Views.
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:39 AM
 
3,822 posts, read 1,463,757 times
Reputation: 1783
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
DOT is in charge of maintaining them.

I fondly remember those stairs on Tiebout, back in the 1980s walking over there was an adventure

Here's some links on NYC step streets:

https://forgotten-ny.com/1999/06/ste...-in-the-bronx/

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...3/step-streets
Well I grew up in those massive projects at the landing of those steps on 183st. That's why I am so ghetto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:46 AM
 
Location: Confines of the 101 Precinct
20,332 posts, read 35,352,115 times
Reputation: 8750
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Well I grew up in those massive projects at the landing of those steps on 183st. That's why I am so ghetto.
Haha, Webster Ave is no joke
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top