U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 12:13 PM

3,352 posts, read 1,677,341 times

Advertisements

Those styrofoam cartons go in regular trash,so does takeout chinese cartons, meat packaging.
Milk and juice cartons get recycled.

This is supposed to collect our plastic, to sell to China. Last saw somewhere,China cant even use the recycled plastics, cause it was not separated properly!?!?!?!?...

Nyc.gov will give you all the info you need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2019, 05:12 PM

21,813 posts, read 14,483,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I have gotten no such list of how to recycle.
I assume the City just hands it all over to the Mafia who carts it to New Jersey for burial.
I get the distinct impression that NYC does no really take recycling seriously.

mac, thanks for the link but it is still not specific about waxed paper milk containers.

Next question: where do you throw clothing that is worn out and not suitable for HOUSING DIRECT?
IIRC by local law every multi-family housing building must have recycling information posted somewhere on premises. Ours is in the waste/recycling area. Other buildings have those flyers/notices posted in lobby and or on the individual containers for each type of waste.

Clothing? Just throw it out if you cannot find any place to take it, and or just don't want to be bothered. There is a a huge Goodwill right on Second avenue just up street from your building complex. Just put the stuff in plastic bags then drop off "donation". They will give you a receipt if requested. Ditto for Housing Works near 96th street on Second.

Clothing and footwear made from natural fibers will break down in landfills (eventually), so that is that.

However large amounts of things thrown into trash never make it to collection. You only have to walk streets to see homeless, dumpster divers and many others digging through plastic garbage bags for clothing, shoes, hats, handbags and anything else of remote value contained.

Biggest secret in thrift/charity shop circles is large amounts of donated items are simply thrown away. That and or sold to companies that buy up huge quanities of unwanted American clothing/shoes, etc..., pack them up by the container full, then ship them off to third world or similar poor countries. There they are sold or given away.

Have you not ever wondered why you see so many Africans, Haitians, poorer Eastern Europeans etc.. wearing "American" t-shirts or other such clothing? Now you know why....

As mentioned in another thread Housing Works throws out plenty of unsold goods; and people go through their garbage bags nightly (mentioned the now closed Chambers Street location where Chinese would have a field day).

Truth to tell a good part of donated clothing/footwear, etc... is rubbish that no one wants, but owners just cannot bring themselves to actually throw away. It makes them feel better by "donating" said stuff believing it will do some good. Back rooms, warehouses, etc.. of thrift/charity stores are often over flowing with bags and bags of donated apparel. Much of it destined for rag bin/trash.

Unless we're talking about vintage designer goods (or even couture), certain brands of jeans and or true "vintage" things, you can't give away much of what is donated.

Old 10-04-2019, 10:13 AM

21,854 posts, read 28,966,479 times
As for old clothing, just search online. I have donated sweaters and such that didn't quite fit,

I am talking about useless ruined clothing. Stuff that nobody would want.

Old 10-04-2019, 11:09 AM

11,474 posts, read 22,075,331 times
The ruined clothing can be recycled at your local greenmarket, 82nd and York on Saturday. https://www.grownyc.org/clothing#list

What We Accept:
Clean and dry clothing, paired shoes, linens, handbags, belts, and other reusable textiles. No fabric rolls or scraps of any size, rugs, carpeting, pillows, comforters, or luggage. Your contribution to the program is tax deductible.

What happens to materials donated?
Textiles are accepted by Wearable Collections and taken to a facility where they are sorted into different grades, with an effort to recover as much usable clothing as possible for distribution to second-hand markets. Material that is not suitable for reuse will go to recycling markets to be used as wiping rags or shredded for low grade fiber products such as insulation.

Why can’t I recycle scraps?
Due to a shift in market conditions, Wearable Collections is unable to accept large volumes of scraps for processing. Your quality donations ensure the sustainability of the textile recycling program, which recovers the portion of non-reusable material for secondary uses

Old 10-05-2019, 10:31 AM

Henna thanks, but I am asking about RUINED clothing, completely unsuitable for wear even after repairs.

Does a torn pair of Jockey shorts or a torn shirt go into the GARBAGE or into some recyclable bin? NOT usable as clothing at all, no matter how talented the seamstress.

Old 10-05-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Henna thanks, but I am asking about RUINED clothing, completely unsuitable for wear even after repairs.

Does a torn pair of Jockey shorts or a torn shirt go into the GARBAGE or into some recyclable bin? NOT usable as clothing at all, no matter how talented the seamstress.
I'm not sure you read what I posted above: Material that is not suitable for reuse will go to recycling markets to be used as wiping rags or shredded for low grade fiber products such as insulation.

If you're still not sure, maybe you can contact the people who run the Textile recycling program at the greenmarkets and ask.

I just bring all my old stuff there, whether wearable or not -- but it should be clean so it doesn't soil the other stuff in the bin.

Old 10-06-2019, 06:58 AM

So then, no place to toss it at my building? I have to drag it somewhere?

I will call my management office and I am guessing they will tell me to toss it in the trash bin.

Old 10-06-2019, 07:41 AM

322 posts, read 82,674 times
Wife: “Honey, I want you to take all my old clothes down to Goodwill.”

Husband: “Why don’t you just throw them in the trash, it’s easier.”

Wife: “But there’s starving people out there who need clothing!”

Husband: “Babe, if they can fit your clothes...they are FAR from starving.”

Old Yesterday, 06:30 AM

Rofl.

Old Yesterday, 06:38 AM

Quote:
So then, no place to toss it at my building? I have to drag it somewhere?

I will call my management office and I am guessing they will tell me to toss it in the trash bin.
As far as I know, there's no law against throwing out fabric/clothing in the regular trash. I just thought you were looking for a place to recycle it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or