U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Today, 10:25 AM
 
3,889 posts, read 1,467,794 times
Reputation: 1792

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
A while back I saw a woman who had somehow knocked her own glasses off and it then somehow fell and folded in just perfectly to slip into a drainage grate. She went on her hands and knees and tried to get it out but wasnít successful (Iím guessing not being able to see clearly probably didnít help). People stopped by to ask if they can help and kept on trying different ways to see if they can find a way to get these glasses out and that hubbub kept on attracting more people. The crowd kept growing and people were discussing different ways they can possibly do or use this or that like it was committee with a person pulling a tree branch and other such thing and then there was enough people that there were subcommittees being formed. I didnít stick around enough to see if anything ended up working, but it was like some community small town thing going on. Itís not quite as touching as some of the other posts so far, but it was funny in its own way.
Very nice contribution. I am hoping that even the most hardened anti NYC poster can contribute on this topic. People need reminding it's not just all bad. People in the City live and share kindness and care every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Today, 10:35 AM
 
Location: Straddling two worlds
2,728 posts, read 901,581 times
Reputation: 1917
I remember being on a bus many years ago and across from me sat an elderly couple, probably in their 80s. The wife was blind and the husband was deaf, so the only way they could communicate was for them to hold hands while they were signing to each other. It was incredibly loving and I've never forgotten it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 10:40 AM
 
11,465 posts, read 22,064,199 times
Reputation: 9086
Nothing really jumps to mind, but the other day I did participate in a group effort to return someone's cell phone. I was on a fairly empty train car, minding my own business, when suddenly an Asian man ran up to the seat directly across from mine and grabbed a cell phone sitting there on the seat (I hadn't noticed it). He made some sort of unintelligible noises, like he was trying to speak, and waved the phone in the air. I assume he spoke some language other than English and knew no one else in the car would understand him if he spoke in his native tongue.

I was going to try to help but wasn't sure what to do. Another guy further down said (in English, thankfully) that the guy that had been sitting there had moved to the next car. I guess I really wasn't paying attention because all this happened without me noticing anything. The guy said he could see the guy who dropped his cell phone in the next car. So both of us stood up and stared into that car and tried to get the guy's attention. Finally he noticed. I held up his phone and mouthed "IS THIS YOUR PHONE" and he came into the car and retrieved it. So it took a little teamwork but we got it done.

I wonder why he had moved into the next car anyway. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the one he left. It smelled fine, quiet, not too many people. Oh well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 10:46 AM
 
3,889 posts, read 1,467,794 times
Reputation: 1792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Nothing really jumps to mind, but the other day I did participate in a group effort to return someone's cell phone. I was on a fairly empty train car, minding my own business, when suddenly an Asian man ran up to the seat directly across from mine and grabbed a cell phone sitting there on the seat (I hadn't noticed it). He made some sort of unintelligible noises, like he was trying to speak, and waved the phone in the air. I assume he spoke some language other than English and knew no one else in the car would understand him if he spoke in his native tongue.

I was going to try to help but wasn't sure what to do. Another guy further down said (in English, thankfully) that the guy that had been sitting there had moved to the next car. I guess I really wasn't paying attention because all this happened without me noticing anything. The guy said he could see the guy who dropped his cell phone in the next car. So both of us stood up and stared into that car and tried to get the guy's attention. Finally he noticed. I held up his phone and mouthed "IS THIS YOUR PHONE" and he came into the car and retrieved it. So it took a little teamwork but we got it done.

I wonder why he had moved into the next car anyway. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the one he left. It smelled fine, quiet, not too many people. Oh well.
He might have moved to rap to a person he thought was attractive ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 10:55 AM
 
11,465 posts, read 22,064,199 times
Reputation: 9086
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
He might have moved to rap to a person he thought was attractive ?
Guess so. But there was hardly anyone on either car, very quiet mid-day trip. I suppose he could have been trying to get to a car that would be closer to where he knew he would need to get to the exit at his stop, too. Save 30 seconds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Confines of the 101 Precinct
20,349 posts, read 35,360,086 times
Reputation: 8750
Times are getting hard and I expect to see more displays of compassion on the streets. I see people helping others in Manhattan all the time. Nobody has time for the BS anymore.
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 05:59 PM
 
3,889 posts, read 1,467,794 times
Reputation: 1792
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Times are getting hard and I expect to see more displays of compassion on the streets. I see people helping others in Manhattan all the time. Nobody has time for the BS anymore.
I have seen crazy crap in this City. But in the poor neighborhoods I have grown up in I always seen little acts of kindness. Like at the bodega a poor old lady while paying for something ordering a small amount of deli meat " Can you give me a dollar of ham and a dollar of cheese " cause they only had that with a meager small bottle of milk and a some cereal and the person next to her says " Give her a pound of each, and I got her stuff on me ".

Last edited by bxlover; Today at 06:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top