U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 09:31 AM

3,888 posts, read 1,467,794 times

Advertisements

So much negativity that we focus on. But search your memory banks for good things you have seen. When I was in College and worked at Cravath, Swaine, and Moore on 50 and 8, I was walking on 50 towards Broadway at lunch time. On the way I smelled the strong smell of feces and looked to see where it came from. There was a homeless woman crouched over after defecating on her self and you could sense by her body language she was ashamed and she was crying. The street was full and suddenly a woman came out of the crowd and threw her sweater over the woman to bring it down to her buttocks and she said these words " Its ok darling, I am going to help you, don't worry, it's fine ". I said to myself wow and left to not be another pair of gawking eyes. I have seen many kind actions in my life. I have received them too. But that woman's actions I find to inspire me still.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2019, 10:01 AM

2,562 posts, read 3,603,262 times
Homeless guy on the subway with no shoes was shuffling around asking for help. He said his shoes were stolen - and from the look of him, I don’t doubt it. He looked to be in really bad shape overall. A young guy literally took the shoes off his feet and gave it to the homeless man. He first asked “what’s shoe size are you?” And with a nod he removed his own sneakers and handed them to the man. He had another pair of dress shoes in his bag which he put on his own feet and continued on with his conversion like it was nothing. Total awe inspiring and selfless moment. It was the casual way that this guy just paused his conversation, gave up his sneakers, and then kept on speaking to his companion.

Old 10-03-2019, 10:09 AM

726 posts, read 1,205,027 times
Being rubbed against by a man with a semi erect weiner was pretty touching

Old 10-03-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
Being rubbed against by a man with a semi erect weiner was pretty touching
Was that you, lol. Just joking. Bad joke, I an never semi erect. Just joking...

Old Yesterday, 11:57 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,396,972 times
More like sad - Years ago, I was waiting for a friend at a local bus stop. In the process, I saw an old man buying fruits from a nearby stand, and he put them in a plastic bag. He then came to the bus stop and sat down on the bench to wait for the bus. Within minutes, the man slumped and the plastic bag opened and many of the oranges rolled out. He had passed away. The fire department was nearby, and came and put a sheet over him. He was quickly taken away by the city morgue. The bag of fruits stayed on the bench.

Old Yesterday, 12:27 PM

4,339 posts, read 6,472,668 times
One recent one that sticks in my mind: After our youngest finished his high school graduation we caught a cab to take him out for a celebratory dinner. He still had on his cap and gown. We gave the driver the address and told him why we were going out to eat. The driver was absolutely thrilled and happy, proud that this kid, a total stranger, had finished school and was looking now at college. Especially so because he was a young black man doing what so many others have failed to do, he told us. When he dropped us off at the restaurant he looked at the boy and us and said it was "his honor" to drive us to dinner, and that the ride was on him.

Old Yesterday, 02:26 PM

Years ago my wife got thrown off a horse off of Pelham Pkwy and broke some ribs. She was taken to Jacobi Hospital and was covered in mud, she looked like Lucy in Dark face. A nurses assistant gently cleaned her up clean as a whistle, removing the mud from her hair and body with several rags. She went the extra mile with kindness and generosity of spirit. Thanks where ever you are.

Old Yesterday, 03:11 PM

2,807 posts, read 3,644,958 times
Years ago walking my little dog on 9th Ave, a pitbull lunged at him and latched onto his head with his jaws. I started yelling and a group of total strangers gathered around and started hitting this huge pitbull with whatever they had, fists, purses, I don't even know what anymore...

Miraculously my dog ended up relatively unharmed (although with a lasting hatred of big dogs for the rest of his life). Thinking about it I still feel so much gratitude towards all these people, who potentially put themselves in danger to help my furry baby.

Old Yesterday, 05:23 PM

1,160 posts, read 610,512 times
Just yesterday someone collapsed on the sidewalk and a whole bunch of strangers gathered with their umbrellas to keep him dry until the ambulance arrived. There was someone holding his hand and talking to him gently, though I don't know if that person had been with him or not. I was about to run up to my apartment for an emergency blanket when the ambulance showed.

Old Yesterday, 09:38 PM

22,870 posts, read 24,257,484 times
A while back I saw a woman who had somehow knocked her own glasses off and it then somehow fell and folded in just perfectly to slip into a drainage grate. She went on her hands and knees and tried to get it out but wasn’t successful (I’m guessing not being able to see clearly probably didn’t help). People stopped by to ask if they can help and kept on trying different ways to see if they can find a way to get these glasses out and that hubbub kept on attracting more people. The crowd kept growing and people were discussing different ways they can possibly do or use this or that like it was committee with a person pulling a tree branch and other such thing and then there was enough people that there were subcommittees being formed. I didn’t stick around enough to see if anything ended up working, but it was like some community small town thing going on. It’s not quite as touching as some of the other posts so far, but it was funny in its own way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or