U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:49 AM

2 posts, read 299 times

Advertisements

Apparently there is alot of technicals into drilling a hole into the wall...something about wall anchors, drywall, plasters, studs etc. I'm not the most handy person and a lot of this terminology is foreign to me.

I live in Farragut House, a NYCHA building. What are the walls NYCHA buildings typically made of? Will I need to buy a stud finder and drill into a stud? Do I need plastic wall anchors?

I'm looking to hang curtain rods primarily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:57 AM

8,406 posts, read 3,736,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justnyc111 View Post
Apparently there is alot of technicals into drilling a hole into the wall...something about wall anchors, drywall, plasters, studs etc. I'm not the most handy person and a lot of this terminology is foreign to me.

I live in Farragut House, a NYCHA building. What are the walls NYCHA buildings typically made of? Will I need to buy a stud finder and drill into a stud? Do I need plastic wall anchors?

I'm looking to hang curtain rods primarily.
Why not ask NYCHA?

Old Yesterday, 11:51 AM

2 posts, read 299 times
Asked them..the person said they don't know. Was wondering if someone here with a better understanding of construction would have an idea.

Old Yesterday, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justnyc111 View Post
Asked them..the person said they don't know. Was wondering if someone here with a better understanding of construction would have an idea.
Don't you get a lease? These things should be explained in that about what you can and cannot do. Asking strangers in a forum about what you can and cannot do in a NYCHA apartment doesn't seem like the best idea. That's like me coming here and asking people what I can and cannot do instead of reading what my lease (a binding, legal document) says.

Old Yesterday, 01:08 PM

778 posts, read 264,402 times
If your looking to just hang curtain rods chances are its drywall

When I was in NYCHA we put holes everywhere....curtains, cable, wall mount TV, wall mount speaker system, etc

All you need is a hammer drill with the right bits and a screwgun. Drywall screws will go in and hold on to anything.

Old Yesterday, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
If your looking to just hang curtain rods chances are its drywall

When I was in NYCHA we put holes everywhere....curtains, cable, wall mount TV, wall mount speaker system, etc

All you need is a hammer drill with the right bits and a screwgun. Drywall screws will go in and hold on to anything.
And they don't expect you to restore the walls the way you found them (or rather the way that they should be)?

Old Yesterday, 01:23 PM

2,829 posts, read 2,394,983 times
I don’t think it’s drywall. It’s more like heavy plaster. Someone I know hired a man to hang a 65 inch TV on a NYCHA wall and they really struggled getting the drill bit through the wall. The drill was thick. After about 20 minutes of drilling, the nails went right thru the heavy dusty plaster from the living room to the bedroom!

Old Yesterday, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
I donít think itís drywall. Itís more like heavy plaster. Someone I know hired a man to hang a 65 inch TV on a NYCHA wall and they really struggled getting the drill bit through the wall. The drill was thick. After about 20 minutes of drilling, the nails went right thru the heavy dusty plaster from the living room to the bedroom!
LOL Smart... Very smart...

Old Yesterday, 02:00 PM

20,341 posts, read 35,352,115 times
NYCHA walls are not drywall, they are made of heavy plaster

You will need anchors to mount anything on the wall

You will not need to locate the studs in order to hang something as light as curtain rods.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old Yesterday, 03:16 PM

778 posts, read 264,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
And they don't expect you to restore the walls the way you found them (or rather the way that they should be)?
Most people don't move out of NYCHA once they move in (Im an exception due to 30% of my income was way more than market rent in the area so I left).

I left the apartment to family and they practically gonna stay there till they die (their choice) so they never have to restore anything. But if one does move out they can easily fill screw holes and the holes the cable company drilled with plaster and paint over them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
NYCHA walls are not drywall, they are made of heavy plaster

You will need anchors to mount anything on the wall

You will not need to locate the studs in order to hang something as light as curtain rods.
Heavy Plaster? Oh I always though it was drywall/sheetrock since it had wood studs about every 3 feet and once we broke through one side it was basically hollow till we hit the other side. Door knobs were notorious of leaving holes in the walls when people kept opening the door all the way (we never had door stoppers).

good knowledge to know. I learned today.

Last edited by SoullessOne; Yesterday at 03:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City