U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2019, 07:25 PM

4,208 posts, read 3,922,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
No its real dangerous. drive that 16 year old child into the city and then pick them up. Don't forget to warp them in bubble wrap and put them in the car seat either. /s

Ive been riding the trains solo since the age of 9 and this was back in the 90s. its beyond safe at your mentioned times unless the child goes looking for trouble.
I was doing the same in the 70s at age 11, and I shouldn't have been. My kid is not looking for trouble, but he's a white suburban kid who has only recently begun going into the city by himself, riding the subways in midtown. I asked for current local information, from those who live there now, and ride the subways in the Bronx now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2019, 07:30 PM

4,208 posts, read 3,922,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
The metro north is a good idea (it would be a lot easier for you at least).

If you decide to drive to the subway, I wouldn't worry about safety, but the 2 train is so slow! Maybe the 1 instead and then he wouldn't have to switch to a local train.
Thank you for the useful info. I forgot that trains that are express in midtown may become local in the Bronx.

The kid has to do this every weekend for the next two years - is already learning his way around the subways midtown. I just needed to know whether there are areas that I should just not have him going.

Old 10-04-2019, 08:20 PM

22,923 posts, read 24,329,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
I was doing the same in the 70s at age 11, and I shouldn't have been. My kid is not looking for trouble, but he's a white suburban kid who has only recently begun going into the city by himself, riding the subways in midtown. I asked for current local information, from those who live there now, and ride the subways in the Bronx now.
NYC’s a lot safer now than in the 70s. I guess the question is what the reason for not driving him all the way. If it’s a time and stress thing, then Metro-North is the way to go and possibly the new Hartford Line with a transfer to Metro-North at New Haven if you’re trying to minimize drive time from central CT. If the reason not to do that is the cost, then getting on and off the train at the terminal station of the 2 train is fine. Just don’t wander around the neighborhood if the kid’s a bit out of his element—stay at or at least near the station.

Old 10-10-2019, 08:49 PM

475 posts, read 535,738 times
From the middle of connecticut? I say put him on the metro north, for sure. Drive down to the new haven line. you can pick a station that's in a smaller town or city, so it's easy to find, and easy for him when he's waiting to be picked up at night.
say milford, stratford, w haven, fairfield or fairfield metro. You DON"T want him to be standing around on some dark bronx corner at 9 or 10 at night waiting for his ride. really, please.

Old 10-10-2019, 08:52 PM

56,352 posts, read 75,487,580 times
People mock you for worrying about personal safety on public transport and then laugh at you after you get knocked in the head
Fact is they like it when people get hurt they might even be one of the muggers

Old 10-10-2019, 09:07 PM

790 posts, read 272,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterStereoman View Post
From the middle of connecticut? I say put him on the metro north, for sure. Drive down to the new haven line. you can pick a station that's in a smaller town or city, so it's easy to find, and easy for him when he's waiting to be picked up at night.
say milford, stratford, w haven, fairfield or fairfield metro. You DON"T want him to be standing around on some dark bronx corner at 9 or 10 at night waiting for his ride. really, please.
Who stands around at 9 at night on a street corner waiting for a ride. Wheres the logic? What wrong with waiting in the train station that may have a 24 hour booth with a body?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
People mock you for worrying about personal safety on public transport and then laugh at you after you get knocked in the head
Fact is they like it when people get hurt they might even be one of the muggers
We also like to laugh when a transplant lacking street skills drops into NYC to live and don't knw how to interact with the people that live there.

Old 10-10-2019, 09:16 PM

56,352 posts, read 75,487,580 times
Quote:
Who stands around at 9 at night on a street corner waiting for a ride. Wheres the logic? What wrong with waiting in the train station that may have a 24 hour booth with a body?

We also like to laugh when a transplant lacking street skills drops into NYC to live and don't knw how to interact with the people that live there.
Getting kicked beaten robbed and raped is not interacting with residents of a community
It is an absence of community that permits such events

Old 10-10-2019, 10:38 PM

790 posts, read 272,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Getting kicked beaten robbed and raped is not interacting with residents of a community
It is an absence of community that permits such events
errr….what?
Well that escalated quickly.

Old 10-10-2019, 11:48 PM

79 posts, read 90,520 times
Metro north or mta express bus such as bxm8. Avoid the subway.

Old 10-11-2019, 04:56 AM

8,476 posts, read 3,776,866 times
Quote:
errr….what?
Well that escalated quickly.
I wouldn't have my kid waiting at the end of the 2 subway line. No way. Sketchy characters around there. I can't think of any area that isn't sketchy at the end of the subway line in the Bronx. Even the area where Riverdale starts is sketchy, but not nearly as bad as the end of the 2 line, and since the kid will be picked up, I'm sure there will be regulars watching his coming and going. I'd put my kid on Metro-North or drive them to an express bus stop that is safe. Woodlawn would be fine. Katonah Avenue is very safe, even late at night.

If they do Metro-North, I'd pick an express stop. He can be in Grand Central in 25-30 minutes depending on the stop. Scarsdale, Bronxville would all be good locations. Safe... Scarsdale has express trains too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or