U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-03-2019, 12:15 PM
 
4,203 posts, read 3,916,546 times
Reputation: 11574

Advertisements

16 yr old son needs to be near Lincoln center all day Saturday. I was considering driving him from Central CT to the northernmost subway station in the Bronx that has trains running early Saturday morning, and picking him up from there around 830 pm. Is it safe? Is he safer riding in the first car? What stations would be safest for dropping him off and picking him up, in view of his safety entering and exiting the stations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-03-2019, 01:18 PM
 
785 posts, read 269,409 times
Reputation: 563
No its real dangerous. drive that 16 year old child into the city and then pick them up. Don't forget to warp them in bubble wrap and put them in the car seat either. /s

Ive been riding the trains solo since the age of 9 and this was back in the 90s. its beyond safe at your mentioned times unless the child goes looking for trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2019, 01:23 PM
 
Location: New York, NY
8,460 posts, read 3,763,956 times
Reputation: 3471
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
No its real dangerous. drive that 16 year old child into the city and then pick them up. Don't forget to warp them in bubble wrap and put them in the car seat either. /s

Ive been riding the trains solo since the age of 9 and this was back in the 90s. its beyond safe at your mentioned times unless the child goes looking for trouble.
If the kid has no street smarts, then it may not be so safe. There are plenty of people with mental issues riding the subways these days. If the kid grew up in an urban environment, I could understand that, but given that the OP is posting here and asking, I doubt that to be the case, and dropping the kid off in a not so savory part of the Bronx doesn't seem so wise either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2019, 01:27 PM
Status: "commuter" (set 7 days ago)
 
Location: NYC
68 posts, read 104,492 times
Reputation: 50
front car? nah,..look in the middle,...where the conductor is sitting. use that car if you can.

Also,..another option may be to use Metro North train at Botanical Garden or Bronx Zoo, instead of Subway. It's much cleaner/nicer and less stops to Grand central.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2019, 01:33 PM
 
541 posts, read 142,392 times
Reputation: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
No its real dangerous. drive that 16 year old child into the city and then pick them up. Don't forget to warp them in bubble wrap and put them in the car seat either. /s

Ive been riding the trains solo since the age of 9 and this was back in the 90s. its beyond safe at your mentioned times unless the child goes looking for trouble.
Haha very funny.

Your heir will be fine riding the subway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2019, 01:43 PM
 
3,940 posts, read 1,488,095 times
Reputation: 1843
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
If the kid has no street smarts, then it may not be so safe. There are plenty of people with mental issues riding the subways these days. If the kid grew up in an urban environment, I could understand that, but given that the OP is posting here and asking, I doubt that to be the case, and dropping the kid off in a not so savory part of the Bronx doesn't seem so wise either.
That's a good way to get street smarts. But you assume every kid in the inner city is street smart. I know kids who were sheltered living in the South Bronx. Kids who went to school straight home and straight home from Church. Those kids like my cousins were oblivious to things you would think they would have noticed. If kids have tunnel vision they can be very innocent and be as innocent as a kid from the mid West.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2019, 01:47 PM
 
3,940 posts, read 1,488,095 times
Reputation: 1843
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
16 yr old son needs to be near Lincoln center all day Saturday. I was considering driving him from Central CT to the northernmost subway station in the Bronx that has trains running early Saturday morning, and picking him up from there around 830 pm. Is it safe? Is he safer riding in the first car? What stations would be safest for dropping him off and picking him up, in view of his safety entering and exiting the stations?
My daughter who I love more then life, traveled by bus and subway though the Bronx as soon as she started Junior HS and got her bus pass. Let the kid try. My nephew has autism and rode to East Harlem from the Bronx by himself to his HS. Train him, have him practice with you a few times. Then let him fly. Arm him with a cell phone, and you will be surprised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2019, 01:55 PM
 
Location: In the heights
22,890 posts, read 24,301,324 times
Reputation: 12104
If you're super worried and part of it is that you're trying not to drive all the way there, then why not have him take the New Haven Line into Grand Central and then transfer or Lincoln Center via subway (7 trains headed towards Hudson Yards and transfer at Times Square station to the 1 train going uptown). That'll end up saving you even more time though the fare is pricier. If you want an even faster ride and the schedule lines up, then you can opt for Amtrak to Penn Station where they can transfer to the 1 train going uptown. If you go this route, then you can look up schedules or check Google Maps's transit directions which are usually fine (though see if there are any service advisories).

If you do decide to take the train route to get to NYC rather than driving to the Bronx from Central CT, then you can either drop the kid off at a Central CT station where the kid might need to transfer from the Hartford Line / New Haven-Springfield Shuttle train at the New Haven stop to either a Metro-North or Amtrak train (Metro-North cheaper and more frequent, Amtrak is faster with fewer stops) OR you can drive to New Haven or some other station like Bridgeport on the New Haven Line to cut out a transfer.

If you do end up driving the the Bronx, the northernmost station on the 2 train is fine as the terminal (last) stations are where the trains turnaround and so there's always a train and conductor there. Go for the middle trains if the goal is to stick close to the conductor.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 10-03-2019 at 02:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2019, 03:16 PM
 
1,834 posts, read 2,250,639 times
Reputation: 3346
Maybe I'm a bit over protective but I wouldn't drop off my kid in that part of the Bronx and have him take the subway by himself. Especially if he/she is not familiar with the subway. Regardless of what people say about safety there's a lot of degenerates on the subway especially up in the Bronx. I can't stand the subway myself so I'm not letting my kid brave it on his own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2019, 03:30 PM
 
3,940 posts, read 1,488,095 times
Reputation: 1843
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
Maybe I'm a bit over protective but I wouldn't drop off my kid in that part of the Bronx and have him take the subway by himself. Especially if he/she is not familiar with the subway. Regardless of what people say about safety there's a lot of degenerates on the subway especially up in the Bronx. I can't stand the subway myself so I'm not letting my kid brave it on his own.
You know all those well dressed middle class predators who hide in plain sight in nice areas thank you for thinking that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top