Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2019, 12:32 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,885,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
There is a reason people are shaped the same way as their parents: DNA. You can fight it, and maybe win the battle for years, decades, but eventually, it does catch up.
Agreed but unfortunately people think it's appalling to suggest picking people whose genetics compliment yours to be the Father/Mother of your children!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2019, 01:00 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Agreed but unfortunately people think it's appalling to suggest picking people whose genetics compliment yours to be the Father/Mother of your children!
I say genetics can and do play a role. But diet is also a huge issue. The genetic profile of the populace didn't change overnight over the last however many decades. Yet, we are a much fatter society today than we were, say, in the 1950s. Hell, we've seen a 33% jump in the adult obesity rate in the last 20 years alone from 30.5% to 39.6%: https://www.stateofobesity.org/obesi...ends-overview/

From 1960-1999, the obesity rate for adults aged 20-74 increased by well over 100%: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hus/hus02cht.pdf (see chart on page 38).

So, yes, I think the genetics argument is overplayed, especially when I see how larger the portion sizes people (including people with weight problems) are eating today vs. decades ago. And decreasing rates of physical activity also play a role (this is discussed in the CDC link I posted).

I'll treat people who are obese or overweight with the same respect that I'll treat anyone else. But just like I wouldn't allow a relative fit person to intrude in my personal space, I won't let an overweight or obese person intrude in my personal space.

Old 10-05-2019, 01:09 PM

201 posts, read 85,133 times
Just stand. I am a stander. People who want to smell fresh, we stand.

Old 10-05-2019, 01:36 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
40% of Americans are obese. Lets stop with tip toeing around the issue. This is facts. When you consume more then you use you gain fat. There is no magic diet.
Its called taking care of yourself.

As a thin person, I get sat on all the time on the subway, am mocked and have comments said about me. Yet its ok cause I'm thin...... But If I were an obese person and comments were made it would be horrible and cruel. It's cruel to mock anyone. But I will say I am sick of being sat on and made uncomfortable on the train when I am sitting in a seat and someone who clearly does not fit sits down. Open seating on airplanes is even worse......

Old 10-05-2019, 02:21 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
I rode the subway today during the morning rush. I got on and it was packed. After a stop a girl sitting between two thick ladies got up to leave. I was standing right over the seat and was gonna stay standing, but no one took the seat. There was enough room for my skinny butt, so I sat down.

The thick chick to my right immediately says “Really!”. I say I’m sorry and she then says “No you’re not!” and kept egging me on. I just said “Have a nice weekend”. She was begging for me to say something offensive so she could go off and play the pity card.

If you are thick and sit on the subway, don’t get pissed if someone sits next to you. It’s not us making it uncomfortable.

Have any of you experienced this lately?

Thanks.
If riding a train with fluffy's could only be this funny.I would have enjoyed my daily trips to work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD8Pb3NMV-U

and for you young kids there is the 175 and up club hahhahaha..Just A Lil' Thick (She Juicy)

Old 10-05-2019, 02:28 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
40% of Americans are obese. Lets stop with tip toeing around the issue. This is facts. When you consume more then you use you gain fat. There is no magic diet.
Its called taking care of yourself.

As a thin person, I get sat on all the time on the subway, am mocked and have comments said about me. Yet its ok cause I'm thin...... But If I were an obese person and comments were made it would be horrible and cruel. It's cruel to mock anyone. But I will say I am sick of being sat on and made uncomfortable on the train when I am sitting in a seat and someone who clearly does not fit sits down. Open seating on airplanes is even worse......
Opinion:
I can't help but laugh..................................... But I will say I am sick of being sat on ........too much....

Old 10-05-2019, 03:27 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Opinion:
I can't help but laugh..................................... But I will say I am sick of being sat on ........too much....
I know it sounds funny and if it were a once in a while, maybe I'd chuckle. But it happens every week, usually several times. Like do people not know how large their ass*s are? For real or how thick you are that literally your leg is on top of me. Not right next to it with no space but on top of me. I'm thin....It hurts. Its too heavy for me I can't support your dead weight on me!
I don't have sex with an obese guy on top of me for a reason. He's too heavy! So I'm not letting some stranger on the train on top of me. That's no pleasure and all pain.

Old 10-05-2019, 03:28 PM

494 posts, read 557,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
If you are thick and sit on the subway, don’t get pissed if someone sits next to you. It’s not us making it uncomfortable.

This has nothing to do with weight but everything to do with rudeness. Do you know how many times a "skinny or avg size" guy takes 3 seats by sitting down in the middle seat and spreads his legs as wide as possible? Or how many times an "avg size or skinny" girl puts her purse on one seat and takes up 2 seats and pretends the subway isn't full. I"ve seen subway trains where it is crowded, rush hour and there is a homeless guy sleeping taking 4 seats. Another time a guy put their huge dog on the two seats next to him.

If anything you are discriminating to people who are overweight. Weight had nothing to do with the situation, that persons weight made YOU uncomfortable, weight was all YOU saw. Maybe YOUR attitude towards them was what made them not want you to sit down or maybe that person was just a witch with a B.

Old 10-05-2019, 05:55 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times
Can we please stop playing the genetics card for the high rates of obesity in the US. It’s the the diet, the portion sizes, and the lack of exercise that are making Americans fat. It really isn’t more complicated than that. And if obesity seems to run in the family, I can almost be sure it’s NOT genetic and more likely behavior. If you grew up in a household with unhealthy eating habits, you’ve probably learned that behavior and will pass it on.

Metabolism may change over time, we may put on a few pounds as we age but “getting fat” has far more to do with eating a s**t diet of too many calories and sitting at a desk all day and the couch all evening. Eat less, exercise more and you’ll maintain a healthy weight.

Old 10-05-2019, 07:56 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
May the universe bless you all with perfect genetics so that none of you is overweight ever.

In defined seats, it definitely is offensive when someone taking up more than a seat has an attitude when you want to sit down. However, if they don't give you an attitude, treating them like they are some sort of leper is simply wrong.

I don't like the word obesity because being overweight and being obese are two different things. However it is the term used in discussions. Obesity, is one of the last prejudices out there, where it's OK to be derogatory, and treat people like its a personal failing on their part. The reality is; with most overweight people I know, they EAT better than most skinny people. Many of them also work out longer and harder than most skinny people. While there can be some health effects with excessive weight, often larger people are as healthy, or more healthy than a skinny person. What is not factored is DNA, age and gender.

Do you know most scientific research on fitness and nutrition is based on some overweight guy in their 30's trying to lose weight before a surgery? The other studies are based on male athletes in their 20s. So what does that mean. It's based on a very specific target; it's based on a short testing period; it's based on the male gender. It's based on youthful bodies. None of it has any accountability for other people not in those target groups, yet all the advice is supposed to be universally applicable to all.

Women in contrast are not just small versions of men. They have something called a menstrual cycle which regulates many hormones, not just the sex hormones. Their hormones fluctuate not only day day to day, but over time and decades. These hormones effect everything about their systems; their brain, their bodies, their moods. So why would things that work on 20 year old male athletes be effective on a 40 year old woman? Men have some of this issue as well, it is just not in the extreme.

So the reality about both fitness and nutrition is that most of it is junk science, limited data and outright snake oil. So the idea, that its some sort of personal failing is just a way to dump on people. And will-power is subjective. If a person who has had will-power for lengthy periods of time and saw no results, or diminishing results, is it really a personal failing that they finally say, "enough." No one keeps at something that is not proven successful. That would be masochism. There is a reason people are shaped the same way as their parents: DNA. You can fight it, and maybe win the battle for years, decades, but eventually, it does catch up.

For the record, I think I am overweight, because I don't look like I did when I was 30. I have also been on a diet for 35 years. Talk about will-power. Most people tell me that I look great. I disagree. That is a subject of another topic; cultural brainwashing.

https://www.1843magazine.com/feature...of-the-calorie

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...7a3_story.html

https://highline.huffingtonpost.com/...sity-is-wrong/

https://qz.com/550527/obesity-parado...r-your-health/

OP wouldn't have complained if she hadn't given him attitude about something that isn't his fault.

If we could all play the genetics card so hard it wouldn't explain the rapid rise in weight gain over the last thirty years. People have no idea how many calories they consume and how little exercise they do.

Did you ever watch the British show Supersize vs. Superskinny? They have an overweight person swap diets with an underweight/slender person. Their diets aren't even close in caloric intake.

I have lost weight before when I was a pound away from being overweight---as an adult---and lost so much weight once I gave a crap that I went the other way and was practically underweight. But I literally counted every calorie that went in my mouth for a year and a half to lose weight and then another year and a half to maintain. As soon as I stopped paying attention (since I don't work out ever and I didn't to lose weight either), I put a few pounds back on---but I am much better about watching what I eat now (since I am so aware of the calories) I have always kept off at least a certain amount of what I initially lost. (30+ pounds have always remained off.)

But HEY according to you since both of my parents are obese (my dad is probably considered morbidly obese) I'm going to be obese as well so why try! My husband is overweight (technically obese) as well so I guess my future kid will be screwed too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City