U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 12:59 PM

2,802 posts, read 2,892,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
40% of Americans are obese. Lets stop with tip toeing around the issue. This is facts. When you consume more then you use you gain fat. There is no magic diet.
Its called taking care of yourself.

As a thin person, I get sat on all the time on the subway, am mocked and have comments said about me. Yet its ok cause I'm thin...... But If I were an obese person and comments were made it would be horrible and cruel. It's cruel to mock anyone. But I will say I am sick of being sat on and made uncomfortable on the train when I am sitting in a seat and someone who clearly does not fit sits down. Open seating on airplanes is even worse......
Men do this all the time to women, regardless of size for either gender. That's why manspreading is an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Can we please stop playing the genetics card for the high rates of obesity in the US. Itís the the diet, the portion sizes, and the lack of exercise that are making Americans fat. It really isnít more complicated than that. And if obesity seems to run in the family, I can almost be sure itís NOT genetic and more likely behavior. If you grew up in a household with unhealthy eating habits, youíve probably learned that behavior and will pass it on.

Metabolism may change over time, we may put on a few pounds as we age but ďgetting fatĒ has far more to do with eating a s**t diet of too many calories and sitting at a desk all day and the couch all evening. Eat less, exercise more and youíll maintain a healthy weight.
Actually it is. I posted big parts of this article up thread.
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...-1980s/407974/

Old 10-07-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyc212 View Post
I eat a pretty damn healthy diet - cook most of my meals - do not drink sugary drinks - and I'm a marathon swimmer. And I carry an extra 35 lbs or so that I'd love to lose but I'm also a middle aged woman with a not terribly thin family.

Not only is the ignorance high in this thread, but the offensiveness is pretty up there too.

(And yeah, my ass fits perfectly fine in a subway seat and yeah, I'm uncomfortable too when someone else's ass creeps into my seat. But I can say the same about all you manspreaders.)
Damn skippy. The ignorance is 5 stars and completely illustrates my point of the last bastion of bias. And they kick it around like some virtue. Most overweight people I know eat a LOT less calories than those who are skinny.

Old 10-07-2019, 01:08 PM

8,467 posts, read 3,763,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
A study published recently in the journal Obesity Research & Clinical Practice found that itís harder for adults today to maintain the same weight as those 20 to 30 years ago did, even at the same levels of food intake and exercise.

They found a very surprising correlation: A given person, in 2006, eating the same amount of calories, taking in the same quantities of macronutrients like protein and fat, and exercising the same amount as a person of the same age did in 1988 would have a BMI that was about 2.3 points higher. In other words, people today are about 10 percent heavier than people were in the 1980s, even if they follow the exact same diet and exercise plans.

[..]

First, people are exposed to more chemicals that might be weight-gain inducing. Pesticides, flame retardants, and the substances in food packaging might all be altering our hormonal processes and tweaking the way our bodies put on and maintain weight.

Second, the use of prescription drugs has risen dramatically since the Ď70s and Ď80s. Prozac, the first blockbuster SSRI, came out in 1988. Antidepressants are now one of the most commonly prescribed drugs in the U.S., and many of them have been linked to weight gain.

Finally, *** and the other study authors think that the microbiomes of Americans might have somehow changed between the 1980s and now. Itís well known that some types of gut bacteria make a person more prone to weight gain and obesity. Americans are eating more meat than they were a few decades ago, and many animal products are treated with hormones and antibiotics in order to promote growth. All that meat might be changing gut bacteria in ways that are subtle, at first, but add up over time. *** believes the proliferation of artificial sweeteners could also be playing a role.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...-1980s/407974/
Well there are your answers. People love processed food. People can cook more at home and buy organic, but they think that's rubbish, so you are what you eat. I have been the same waist size since high school... I wonder what it could be? Let's see.... I eat organic. (buy plenty of store brand that is reasonably priced).. Lots of fruits and veggies... Outside of a teaspoon or two in my espresso, no sugary drinks regularly, etc.

Old 10-07-2019, 02:16 PM

71 posts, read 10,818 times
How do you like sitting down on a subway seat and it's still warm from some strangers ass warming the thing? Another reason why I prefer to just stand.

Old 10-07-2019, 02:23 PM

2,849 posts, read 2,407,197 times
Another thing that people do that makes them fat is drink alcohol and then eat immediately after. The human liver cannot process both alcohol and food - regardless of how healthy the food is. It will always prioritize the alcohol and store the rest as fat around the abdominal cavity. Even broccoli will get stored as fat, but you know most people have proteins and carb (pizza,etc) during or after happy hour - compounding the problem.

Old 10-07-2019, 02:35 PM

2,574 posts, read 3,608,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Well there are your answers. People love processed food. People can cook more at home and buy organic, but they think that's rubbish, so you are what you eat. I have been the same waist size since high school... I wonder what it could be? Let's see.... I eat organic. (buy plenty of store brand that is reasonably priced).. Lots of fruits and veggies... Outside of a teaspoon or two in my espresso, no sugary drinks regularly, etc.
So again the answer is still ďitís what youíre eatingĒ.

Old 10-07-2019, 02:52 PM

71 posts, read 10,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
Men do this all the time to women, regardless of size for either gender. That's why manspreading is an issue.
I'm going to agree with the "no manspreading" thing. When the No Manspreading signage first showed up some years ago, I baulked at it, but it really is annoying body language. I do not see that signage up anymore in subway cars but it is posted in a big list of rules on MTA's super-bright subway TV's.

Oh but women and their smartphones, earbuds, headphones, sunglasses, and yoga pants aren't all just as bad, if not worse. Those things are the female equivalent of man spreading.

Old 10-07-2019, 05:43 PM

7,102 posts, read 8,342,071 times
Itís pretty simple, nyc subways are full of animals.

Old 10-07-2019, 06:01 PM

6,566 posts, read 6,096,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Exactly its all the processed food that is killing us and giving us health issues. Look at people 50 years ago from now when they whole grocery store wasn't processed.....I don't get why people don't understand this. Its simple eat real food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or