U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 07:54 AM

90 posts, read 30,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Exactly its all the processed food that is killing us and giving us health issues. Look at people 50 years ago from now when they whole grocery store wasn't processed.....I don't get why people don't understand this. Its simple eat real food.
I eat real food. I cook all my dinners. My lunches are mostly salads. I do eat some things I should cut down on (honey on my plain greek yogurt, a banana every day - these things are "fattening" but real food.) I still carry extra weight. So it's really a generalization to say that everyone who is overweight is a bad eater.

The fact is - you DON'T KNOW. Maybe someone is on medications that cause weight gain. Maybe it's genetics.

I know people who are "large" and have swam the English Channel BACK AND FORTH. These people have fitness that is mind boggling. And they might take up more than one seat on the subway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2019, 08:41 AM

2,575 posts, read 3,611,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyc212 View Post
I eat real food. I cook all my dinners. My lunches are mostly salads. I do eat some things I should cut down on (honey on my plain greek yogurt, a banana every day - these things are "fattening" but real food.) I still carry extra weight. So it's really a generalization to say that everyone who is overweight is a bad eater.

The fact is - you DON'T KNOW. Maybe someone is on medications that cause weight gain. Maybe it's genetics.

I know people who are "large" and have swam the English Channel BACK AND FORTH. These people have fitness that is mind boggling. And they might take up more than one seat on the subway.
In order to shed weight you have to *consistently* burn more calories than you eat. That means calorie counting and carefully monitoring what you take in and also burn. An all organic salad can have 800+ calories depending on what’s in it.

If 3500 calories equals a pound, you must burn the equivalent of 3500 calories consistently if you want to drop extra weight. If you are not monitoring the amount of calories you’re taking in on a regular basis and making sure it’s LESS than what you’re burning, no matter how much swimming across the English Channel you’re doing, you’re not going to lose weight.

For example, I have a heavy friend that started training to run the nyc marathon. She lost several pounds but was still what would be considered “heavy” by the time of the race. Another friend, who is also heavy was confused and didn’t understand why she wasn’t “skinny” given all the training she was doing. The reason is because she likely did not monitor her calorie intake and was probably eating more because she was exercising a lot more. Her goal though wasn’t to be “skinny”, it was really to accomplish completing a marathon. I’m not denying that you can be heavy and fit (football players and wrestlers often are) but if you want to weigh less, you have to burn more calories than you consume.

Old 10-08-2019, 09:13 AM

90 posts, read 30,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
In order to shed weight you have to *consistently* burn more calories than you eat. That means calorie counting and carefully monitoring what you take in and also burn. An all organic salad can have 800+ calories depending on what’s in it.

If 3500 calories equals a pound, you must burn the equivalent of 3500 calories consistently if you want to drop extra weight. If you are not monitoring the amount of calories you’re taking in on a regular basis and making sure it’s LESS than what you’re burning, no matter how much swimming across the English Channel you’re doing, you’re not going to lose weight.

For example, I have a heavy friend that started training to run the nyc marathon. She lost several pounds but was still what would be considered “heavy” by the time of the race. Another friend, who is also heavy was confused and didn’t understand why she wasn’t “skinny” given all the training she was doing. The reason is because she likely did not monitor her calorie intake and was probably eating more because she was exercising a lot more. Her goal though wasn’t to be “skinny”, it was really to accomplish completing a marathon. I’m not denying that you can be heavy and fit (football players and wrestlers often are) but if you want to weigh less, you have to burn more calories than you consume.
Yes, I know all this but thanks for the nutrition lesson. My point is still the same. You can't generalize and say that anyone who is overweight is sitting around watching TV and eating bon bons and all processed food - which seems to be the attitude in this thread.

Old 10-08-2019, 09:20 AM

8,472 posts, read 3,774,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
So again the answer is still “it’s what you’re eating”.
Correct.

Old 10-08-2019, 09:23 AM

8,472 posts, read 3,774,201 times
Quote:

Just because you eat salad doesn't mean it's healthy, and just because you prepare most of your meals, don't make them healthy either. I eat salads too, but my salads are usually filled with veggies... Organic spinach, tomatoes, mushrooms, grilled chicken, fresh garlic, etc. and not loads of salad dressing either. The real question is how much do you take in versus how much you burn? I do a lot of walking for starters, and my portion sizes aren't gigantic either.

Old 10-08-2019, 09:39 AM

98 posts, read 15,737 times
This topic is making me hungry for a baconeggandcheese.

Old 10-08-2019, 10:45 AM

21,882 posts, read 29,005,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladlensky View Post
On the 4/5/6 express I live for that standing corner spot by the opposite doors that don't open. No encroachment from the rear, it's like a personal bubble for all 15-20 minutes I have to endure the peak hour subway experience.

Also this complaint is by no means specific to the subway, if you've ever ridden Metro North and been crushed into a middle seat between two passengers who are determined to use up all possible space for themselves and luggage you'll understand.

Works in theaters too when Larry Large thinks he owns the center armrest just because what are supposed to be his lats are actually huge waterfalls of fat that press into your ribs and force you to sit sideways for two hours after you have spent a small fortune on orchestra seats.

Old 10-08-2019, 02:42 PM

4,584 posts, read 1,213,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Why don't you all just enjoy the physical contact?
Opinion: ewwwwwwwwww. Pork Ribs from the supermarket at least can be cooked to perfection.....

Old 10-08-2019, 08:01 PM

6,574 posts, read 6,104,751 times
Quote:

Fatting foods isn't the issue. Your thinking of that diet trend in the 80's Fat is good for you but good fat! I eat tons of fat a day but its from an avocado, coconut and olive oil, unsalted nuts etc. Its about calories. You can not take in more then you use or you will gain fat on your body. So either you need to move more or eat less. You can eat all the salad and bananas in the world but if it comes to 2000 calories for the day and you only used 1500 you will gain weight. Yes eating real food is better than processed food but you still can't eat more than you use.

Also there's a difference of having a few extra pounds and then what the Op was talking about. I've been sat on by obese people, not people who gained a few extra. Obesity and carrying extra weight are different. Unless your in denial are are technically obese and call it just carrying around extra weight. The issue is most are in denial about what they eat and what they burn. Somewhere along the way people called themselves thick or having a few extra pounds when technically they are considered obese. I don't know you or your life style and your welcome to live it as you please. Just please don't sit on me on the train

Old 10-08-2019, 08:02 PM

6,574 posts, read 6,104,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Just because you eat salad doesn't mean it's healthy, and just because you prepare most of your meals, don't make them healthy either. I eat salads too, but my salads are usually filled with veggies... Organic spinach, tomatoes, mushrooms, grilled chicken, fresh garlic, etc. and not loads of salad dressing either. The real question is how much do you take in versus how much you burn? I do a lot of walking for starters, and my portion sizes aren't gigantic either.
I know some people dump like 4 servings of salad dressing on their salad. It defeats the purpose. They mine as well got the cheeseburger and fries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or