Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 09:03 AM

2,179 posts, read 1,849,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Winter is good though. Less smells and less accidental touching of other people's bare skin.
That creeps me out to no end. Thankfully my ride is short now 20 - 25 minutes that I don't even entertain the thought of sitting down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2019, 09:13 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,811,647 times
Did they appear ghetto? Why even bother sitting next to them? It's pretty much your own fault tbh. If you have to "squeeze" in its already a problem. Not worth it on a subway considering what can happen on a train full of random strangers.

Old 10-07-2019, 09:45 AM

6,679 posts, read 5,999,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I say genetics can and do play a role. But diet is also a huge issue. The genetic profile of the populace didn't change overnight over the last however many decades. Yet, we are a much fatter society today than we were, say, in the 1950s. Hell, we've seen a 33% jump in the adult obesity rate in the last 20 years alone from 30.5% to 39.6%: https://www.stateofobesity.org/obesi...ends-overview/

From 1960-1999, the obesity rate for adults aged 20-74 increased by well over 100%: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hus/hus02cht.pdf (see chart on page 38).

So, yes, I think the genetics argument is overplayed, especially when I see how larger the portion sizes people (including people with weight problems) are eating today vs. decades ago. And decreasing rates of physical activity also play a role (this is discussed in the CDC link I posted).

I'll treat people who are obese or overweight with the same respect that I'll treat anyone else. But just like I wouldn't allow a relative fit person to intrude in my personal space, I won't let an overweight or obese person intrude in my personal space.

I really don't think obesity is genetically related. I think people use that as an excuse.

But I do believe that eating the modified junk food of today, (corn, soy, wheat, etc) is what makes people fat. Also, never *ever* eat proteins mixed with carbs or that'll blow you up. (Bread with meat or bread with cheese are examples). Leave the soda and anything with fructose. Once someone does this, they will have normal weight. You don't even have to go to the gym.

Old 10-07-2019, 10:37 AM

201 posts, read 84,650 times
If you are skinny and healthy just stand. If you can't stand for 10 minutes maybe it's time to get your ass into the gym and get to exercising more. The subway seats are gross anyways. I'd rather keep my clothes smelling fresh and clean.

Old 10-07-2019, 10:50 AM

201 posts, read 84,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
I really don't think obesity is genetically related. I think people use that as an excuse.

But I do believe that eating the modified junk food of today, (corn, soy, wheat, etc) is what makes people fat. Also, never *ever* eat proteins mixed with carbs or that'll blow you up. (Bread with meat or bread with cheese are examples). Leave the soda and anything with fructose. Once someone does this, they will have normal weight. You don't even have to go to the gym.
You must not eat out a lot. I'm picky like that too but clean diets are not an easy match for NYC life, on a budget at least like eating out places gets difficult. Almost everything good tasting looks and smells like impulse buys and is loaded with carbs and improper food combinations.

Mexico is reported to have more obesity than the USA and it is because of the foods you outlined.

Old 10-07-2019, 11:02 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,679,984 times
I've seen plenty of big people hog the bench but I've never heard anyone complain when someone else tries to sit

Old 10-07-2019, 11:05 AM

12,776 posts, read 8,241,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay443 View Post
You must not eat out a lot. I'm picky like that too but clean diets are not an easy match for NYC life, on a budget at least like eating out places gets difficult. Almost everything good tasting looks and smells like impulse buys and is loaded with carbs and improper food combinations.

Mexico is reported to have more obesity than the USA and it is because of the foods you outlined.
I eat out a lot but generally avoid certain things and stick with organic places. Drinks are usually water. Any sort of organic teas are a treat, and I do a Gus soda a few times a year tops since that doesn't have all of the garbage that traditional soda has. Otherwise it is flavored sparkling water or still water.

Old 10-07-2019, 12:09 PM

123 posts, read 96,294 times
I eat a pretty damn healthy diet - cook most of my meals - do not drink sugary drinks - and I'm a marathon swimmer. And I carry an extra 35 lbs or so that I'd love to lose but I'm also a middle aged woman with a not terribly thin family.

Not only is the ignorance high in this thread, but the offensiveness is pretty up there too.

(And yeah, my ass fits perfectly fine in a subway seat and yeah, I'm uncomfortable too when someone else's ass creeps into my seat. But I can say the same about all you manspreaders.)

Old 10-07-2019, 12:42 PM

6,679 posts, read 5,999,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay443 View Post

I respectfully disagree. I eat out practically every day (since my divorce in 2006). Im 5’4 and have never weighed more than 130 lbs. I just choose my foods wisely. In the mornings, I’m tempted to get egg and cheese but the protein and carbs are disastrous unless I’m scheduled to go to the gym later and do at least 30 minutes of cardio. But when I don’t have time for gym, Ill do two fats- eggs and sausage or omelette without the bread as an example. In other words Keto- which is great for when you don’t have time to go to the gym. Intermittent fasting is also refreshing and your body just gets adjusted to not eating as much.

Old 10-07-2019, 12:58 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,749,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post

So, yes, I think the genetics argument is overplayed, especially when I see how larger the portion sizes people (including people with weight problems) are eating today vs. decades ago. And decreasing rates of physical activity also play a role (this is discussed in the CDC link I posted).
A study published recently in the journal Obesity Research & Clinical Practice found that it’s harder for adults today to maintain the same weight as those 20 to 30 years ago did, even at the same levels of food intake and exercise.

They found a very surprising correlation: A given person, in 2006, eating the same amount of calories, taking in the same quantities of macronutrients like protein and fat, and exercising the same amount as a person of the same age did in 1988 would have a BMI that was about 2.3 points higher. In other words, people today are about 10 percent heavier than people were in the 1980s, even if they follow the exact same diet and exercise plans.

[..]

First, people are exposed to more chemicals that might be weight-gain inducing. Pesticides, flame retardants, and the substances in food packaging might all be altering our hormonal processes and tweaking the way our bodies put on and maintain weight.

Second, the use of prescription drugs has risen dramatically since the ‘70s and ‘80s. Prozac, the first blockbuster SSRI, came out in 1988. Antidepressants are now one of the most commonly prescribed drugs in the U.S., and many of them have been linked to weight gain.

Finally, *** and the other study authors think that the microbiomes of Americans might have somehow changed between the 1980s and now. It’s well known that some types of gut bacteria make a person more prone to weight gain and obesity. Americans are eating more meat than they were a few decades ago, and many animal products are treated with hormones and antibiotics in order to promote growth. All that meat might be changing gut bacteria in ways that are subtle, at first, but add up over time. *** believes the proliferation of artificial sweeteners could also be playing a role.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...-1980s/407974/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City