U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:31 PM

3,902 posts, read 1,472,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
it is time for bezos and alike to spread their astronomical amount of wealth accumulated through unfair competitions and unethical business operations to recuse the less fortunate populations in this country.

it is immoral to watch and let a small % of greeds to take so much advantage of the rest of their fellow citizens.
Same can be said of the Koch Bros. But you could also volunteer your time at a charity for the homeless. Don't give any money just time. And before you saying anything to me, I volunteer once a month at a Church operated men's shelter overnight. Just saying..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
The streets have become a psych ward and the homeless are getting crazier and more violent. Quality of life issues are not being properly handled. Broken windows work.
How would broken windows help with the homeless , you would arrest them for not having a home ? But I know you have the fate of the homeless at heart. So what can you do to help them ? When you have an answer go do it. No excuses

Old Yesterday, 03:37 PM

3,623 posts, read 3,444,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Same can be said of the Koch Bros. But you could also volunteer your time at a charity for the homeless. Don't give any money just time. And before you saying anything to me, I volunteer once a month at a Church operated men's shelter overnight. Just saying..
I help people in need at a much higher level than one-on-one...it is a blessing that you do it but someone has to be involved at a different level

Old Yesterday, 03:50 PM

Quote:
I help people in need at a much higher level than one-on-one...it is a blessing that you do it but someone has to be involved at a different level
Tell me what do you do, I would help you. PM me, I promise to help.

Old Yesterday, 03:54 PM

5,937 posts, read 3,119,857 times
Quote:
Homeless is the ultimate manifestation of multiple deep-rooted societal problems, with the lack of economic opportunities being the predominant one. And continuous accumulation of wealth in a few pockets is depleting more economic opportunities for unprivileged people like you. It takes time/process for a normal healthy functioning individual to evolve into the homeless stage in life, which for most unfortunately is an irreversible situation because of the chronic and permanent mental/psych damage that accumulates over the course. The growing and widening wealth gap between a small percentage of filthy riches and the rest in the country is worsening this situation and calls for immediate attention and efforts to address it to prevent the problem from growing out of control.

You can complain that the welfare/housing system has not helped propel moving forward much with their life. But have you thought about how the homeless and associated chaos would be like here without the welfare/housing for those less capable? It is puzzling for me seeing that people like you who are likely way outside the range of that small % greedies and likely to be taken advantage by them as the rest would stand out to defend your predators while beating down on your fellow victims in the same camp as you are in. I tired to make it clear that it is the small % of greedies above you who are stepping on your head and trying to push you down the tube, not those victims below you. Why is this so difficult to get this cross...
Homeless is not a byproduct of lack of economic opportunities. We are the richest country in the history of the world. There are economic opportunities everywhere here. So much so that the rest of the world is trying to get in and take advantage of those opportunities. We have so much economic opportunities that we don't even have enough people to fill it and have to import people. So that alone you are wrong.

Homeless instead is a social and cultural problem (drugs, alcohol, over dependence on others, welfare mentality, overregulation, etc.). Throwing Bezos money at it won't solve it until you solve the root cause of the social and cultural part of it.

Old Yesterday, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Homeless is not a byproduct of lack of economic opportunities. We are the richest country in the history of the world. There are economic opportunities everywhere here. So much so that the rest of the world is trying to get in and take advantage of those opportunities. We have so much economic opportunities that we don't even have enough people to fill it and have to import people. So that alone you are wrong.

Homeless instead is a social and cultural problem (drugs, alcohol, over dependence on others, welfare mentality, overregulation, etc.). Throwing Bezos money at it won't solve it until you solve the root cause of the social and cultural part of it.
Sometimes a spouse or parent dies. The survivors after the life insurance, if they had any is exhausted, they can't afford their home. No family to take them in and they are homeless. I have know of young adults who lost their care givers and couldn't pay the rent. They end up homeless. People get sick, can't work, even if they get Disabality they can't afford their rent. If they can't get assistance with rent they end up homeless. When rents are 1400 a month in the South Bronx for a Studio, I think you can see why some people are homeless.

Old Yesterday, 04:56 PM

For anyone interested in doing something on a one on one basis https://www.coalitionforthehomeless....-homelessness/

Old Yesterday, 05:27 PM

526 posts, read 137,501 times
Rudy will no longer be homeless. Taxpayers will be feeding him for decades to go.

Old Yesterday, 08:00 PM

21,802 posts, read 14,465,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
Rudy will no longer be homeless. Taxpayers will be feeding him for decades to go.
Darn skippy!

RG was a federal attorney/prosecutor and NYC mayor; that's two pensions off the bat.

Old Today, 06:33 AM

1,539 posts, read 866,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Sometimes a spouse or parent dies. The survivors after the life insurance, if they had any is exhausted, they can't afford their home. No family to take them in and they are homeless. I have know of young adults who lost their care givers and couldn't pay the rent. They end up homeless. People get sick, can't work, even if they get Disabality they can't afford their rent. If they can't get assistance with rent they end up homeless. When rents are 1400 a month in the South Bronx for a Studio, I think you can see why some people are homeless.
In 2003 my mom died. She was my only family. I was in my early 20's. All I inherited from her was roughly a $3000 tax refund. My rent was $680, and even with a job it was draining fast. The landlord was gonna make the rent $840 at the next lease but, even $680 was still too much.

I was desperate, there was a war on, and the Army was even taking felons. My only crime was poverty, no drugs, no record, healthy enough to do push ups, I was almost medically underweight cuz'I didn't eat enough. When I shipped out to Basic my account was $230 and, my lease was not renewed. I was very close to becoming homeless.

I was lucky there was money to be made risking my life in muslim countries, that opportunity is not really present today for as many people; Wartime recruiting you can be Gomer Pyle, Peacetime recruiting ya gotta be Captain America (after the serum).

On Grand Concourse a man can barely get a room for $700 a month, and you need a job to go through one of those room/flophouse agencies they got on Jerome Ave or Grand Concourse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or