U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-06-2019, 03:17 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
5,942 posts, read 3,126,080 times
Reputation: 7036

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
You have limited understandings of the root and psychological basis of such problems but relying on superficial judgements to back up your argument. If I were unmotivated early in my life to climb up the education ladder to land myself a reasonably well paid and relatively secure job, but instead got stuck at the bottom of the food chain struggling with doing whatever services or physically taxing job only in exchange of surviving day to day, I would feel hopeless to struggle through the rest of my life and would probably go "easy" and give up and sleep on the street.



If the society can diminish the pay gap between the top tier jobs and bottom tier jobs to provide sufficient incentive and hope for unskilled workers, it is likely to draw and retain more unskilled people in the work force to support themselves to reduce the need of cheap foreign labors while solving the unemployment and homeless issue. Do you not agree that it is beyond inhumane that for someone like bezos who is constantly making millions any time of the day, regardless of what he's doing, even if he is up to some new toxic business models to screw up yet another millions of small business owners, while for someone like "antinimby" who waits the table 12 hours a day serving and helping other people but gets paid barley enough to cover his or her rent and basic healthcare expenses? I work a "white collar" job and enjoy working and making better use of what I have in my brain, but I understand many people are different and more willing to live a laid back life. Regardless of what job one does, it is incorrect for them to be paid beyond Nx the average payline while leaving so many struggling with minimum pay so badly that drive many of them to quit and give up trying.



Have you not met people complaining that their pay is so depressingly low despite the good effort they are willing to put into their job so that they do not think it is worth of continuing? That is when mental and psychological stresses and needs of alcohol and drugs arise to cope with the harsh reality. Few people were born to be motivated to get to the top, and few were born with the desire to become homeless or depend on others. A healthy pay-reward system and distribution of societal wealth will solve a lot of the problems for everyone in this country. This is nothing of socialism but about fairness and justice.
I have limited knowledge but yet you have full knowledge because you say so.

You wrote a long story. I just read the first paragraph and it's all I need to know that it's nonsense. Giving people on the lowest rung of the job ladder a high pay would make an economy unsustainable. McDonald burgers would cost $29, a head of lettuce $38, a haircut $650, a pair of shoes $890, a cup of DD coffee $36, an umbrella $420, a bicycle $2100 and Uber ride crosstown $1000.

Our economy, which I need to remind you the umpteenth time, is the richest in the history of the world, has worked well because anyone can move up. If everyone was getting $50,000 serving burgers and serving Starbucks coffee, where's the motivation to advance and move up?

And that's not to mention the ridiculous inflation because since $50,000 is easier to make, it is worth less.

Your ideas have little thought behind it, just based on emotions (because you have sympathy for homeless people). You may have good intentions but history have shown that even good intentions can still be disastrous.

Last edited by antinimby; 10-06-2019 at 03:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-06-2019, 03:36 PM
 
3,624 posts, read 3,448,649 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
I have limited knowledge but yet you have full knowledge because you say so.

You wrote a long story. I just read the first paragraph and it's all I need to know that it's nonsense. Giving people on the lowest rung of the job ladder a high pay would make an economy unsustainable. McDonald burgers would cost $29, a head of lettuce $38, a haircut $650, a pair of shoes $890, a cup of DD coffee $36, an umbrella $420, a bicycle $2100 and Uber ride crosstown $1000.

Our economy, which I need to remind you the umpteenth time, is the richest in the history of the world, has worked well because anyone can move up. If everyone was getting $50,000 serving burgers and serving Starbucks coffee, where's the motivation to advance and move up?

And that's not to mention the ridiculous inflation because since $50,000 is easier to make, it is worth less.

Your ideas have little thought behind it, just based on emotions (because you have sympathy for homeless people). You may have good intentions but history have shown that even good intentions can still be disastrous.

well, seems like I just wasted a good couple of minutes typing up some insightful thoughts to help you understand how the epidemic homeless/poverty situation arises in "the richest country" on the planet...clearly I was talking to a wall...if you cannot see or think through some complex socioeconomic issues like this, it is time to keep humble and listen and try to follow the logic that others put it out for you...until then, i will use my time more wisely to help those who are willing to be helped...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2019, 03:55 PM
 
3,624 posts, read 3,448,649 times
Reputation: 2698
Mr. antinimby, while you sounded so proud to be a member of this richest nation on earth, let me give you a quick formula to help you understand why this gross pride is not doing you any good at all...

in this richest country where 1% of the rich greedies control 50% of the wealth, only less than half of the wealth is left for the 99% (where you probably fall somewhere in between) to fight for. with that in mind, the average gdp per capita for average americans is cut into half of that the official dgp number, likely way below the developed nation level.

in other words, you are living with a false pride in this richest country because what is left for you is far less than the statistics. Does this make sense??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2019, 04:02 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
5,942 posts, read 3,126,080 times
Reputation: 7036
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Mr. antinimby, while you sounded so proud to be a member of this richest nation on earth, let me give you a quick formula to help you understand why this gross pride is not doing you any good at all...

in this richest country where 1% of the rich greedies control 50% of the wealth, only less than half of the wealth is left for the 99% (where you probably fall somewhere in between) to fight for. with that in mind, the average gdp per capita for average americans is cut into half of that the official dgp number, likely way below the developed nation level.

in other words, you are living with a false pride in this richest country because what is left for you is far less than the statistics. Does this make sense??
You seem very bitter about the rich. Guess what? If you take all the money from the 1% and redistribute it to the other 99%, over time, you would end up where you started, a new 1% holding most of the wealth because the losers end up poor again and the winners end up rich again.

7.6 billion people were never meant to all succeed and all be equal, which you seem to obsess over.

If you try to use government powers to force equality on people, then we end up with a socialist system, in which case, everyone will be equal...equally poor and miserable. History shows this over and over and over again but yet there are always people like you that wants to try it one more time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2019, 04:23 PM
 
3,624 posts, read 3,448,649 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
You seem very bitter about the rich. Guess what? If you take all the money from the 1% and redistribute it to the other 99%, over time, you would end up where you started, a new 1% holding most of the wealth because the losers end up poor again and the winners end up rich again.

7.6 billion people were never meant to all succeed and all be equal, which you seem to obsess over.
I am not bitter, but am strongly against anyone to be rewarded an astronomical amount of wealth for some just above average efforts and contributions, sometimes even toxic contributions in bezosí case. I have no motivation to be jealous or bitter about rich people if they earn their fair share through meaningful contributions to the society. I earn enough to live a reasonably comfy life that already exceeds my modest expectations and I have no desire to join the 0.1% group. I am discussing this problem here hoping to help people like you understand some basics of how problems arise so you can target the ones at most fault. Trust me, it is the people above you that steal your wealth and suppress your upward mobility, not those below you. The riches are rich for a reason. Some make it through justifiable means like trump the builder who makes his fortune through providing living spaces for people. Many others use unethical tools and business models to flip and suck wealth into their pockets by screwing other honest and hard working people while providing no meaningful assets for the society. Donít Adore or cheer for them. They steal more from you than those welfare queens...:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2019, 04:25 PM
 
11,473 posts, read 22,075,331 times
Reputation: 9086
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
I'm confused. This says he came from Dominican Republic 4 years ago. He also has a "lengthy" arrest record. So did he get his US citizenship so quickly that it prevented him from being deported when he started to commit violent crimes? I thought people who were not yet citizens would have been deported right away when they start to do this kind of stuff. What's the deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2019, 04:40 PM
 
19,572 posts, read 7,743,662 times
Reputation: 8526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
The streets have become a psych ward and the homeless are getting crazier and more violent. Quality of life issues are not being properly handled. Broken windows work.
Amen. City is a more dangerous place than it was under either Rudy or Bloomberg. More deranged out there IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2019, 04:50 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
5,942 posts, read 3,126,080 times
Reputation: 7036
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
I am not bitter, but am strongly against anyone to be rewarded an astronomical amount of wealth for some just above average efforts and contributions, sometimes even toxic contributions in bezos’ case. I have no motivation to be jealous or bitter about rich people if they earn their fair share through meaningful contributions to the society. I earn enough to live a reasonably comfy life that already exceeds my modest expectations and I have no desire to join the 0.1% group. I am discussing this problem here hoping to help people like you understand some basics of how problems arise so you can target the ones at most fault. Trust me, it is the people above you that steal your wealth and suppress your upward mobility, not those below you. The riches are rich for a reason. Some make it through justifiable means like trump the builder who makes his fortune through providing living spaces for people. Many others use unethical tools and business models to flip and suck wealth into their pockets by screwing other honest and hard working people while providing no meaningful assets for the society. Don’t Adore or cheer for them. They steal more from you than those welfare queens...:
So you are the arbiter of what someone's efforts and contributions are worth?

If Bezos' efforts and contributions were of such insignificance, how come most people couldn't do the same? Fact is, Bezos provided a product that billions wanted and has changed the lives of billions. Yet you belittle his efforts and contributions.

The wonderful thing about the free market is that instead of having someone sitting at home (like you) or office somewhere deciding what someone's worth is, it is determined by what the people and the market wants and that is how it should work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2019, 05:16 PM
 
21,813 posts, read 14,483,706 times
Reputation: 15354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I'm confused. This says he came from Dominican Republic 4 years ago. He also has a "lengthy" arrest record. So did he get his US citizenship so quickly that it prevented him from being deported when he started to commit violent crimes? I thought people who were not yet citizens would have been deported right away when they start to do this kind of stuff. What's the deal?
First and foremost NYPD under BdeB, nearly all local district attorneys and that AG in Albany do all they can to thwart handing over illegals to immigration after arrest and or conviction.

Two, the guy while being arrested numerous times, has never been convicted of anything. That likely means grounds for deportation would depend upon status. If illegal then that would be that; he could be picked up and sent packing. But something tells me there is more to it than what media is saying.

Since the mother "sent" for her some kind of piece of son, likely he entered legally, if that is the case then as a legal resident it would take a conviction to even begin looking at deportation.

Almost a day has passed since this story broke, and not a peep about this kids immigration status other than he "came to USA several years ago". If media got wind he was illegal, someone would have mentioned it by now. Not the liberal/progressive NYT, Washington Post, etc..., but certainly Fox, the Heavy.com, Daily Mail or someone else who only are interested in telling it like it is.

Interestingly the kid used a Spanish interpreter at his arraignment. So either his English is limited, and or DA is making sure to cover all bases to people cannot come back with he "didn't understand" process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2019, 05:40 PM
 
11,473 posts, read 22,075,331 times
Reputation: 9086
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
First and foremost NYPD under BdeB, nearly all local district attorneys and that AG in Albany do all they can to thwart handing over illegals to immigration after arrest and or conviction.

Two, the guy while being arrested numerous times, has never been convicted of anything. That likely means grounds for deportation would depend upon status. If illegal then that would be that; he could be picked up and sent packing. But something tells me there is more to it than what media is saying.

Since the mother "sent" for her some kind of piece of son, likely he entered legally, if that is the case then as a legal resident it would take a conviction to even begin looking at deportation.

Almost a day has passed since this story broke, and not a peep about this kids immigration status other than he "came to USA several years ago". If media got wind he was illegal, someone would have mentioned it by now. Not the liberal/progressive NYT, Washington Post, etc..., but certainly Fox, the Heavy.com, Daily Mail or someone else who only are interested in telling it like it is.

Interestingly the kid used a Spanish interpreter at his arraignment. So either his English is limited, and or DA is making sure to cover all bases to people cannot come back with he "didn't understand" process.
Somehow I missed the fact he'd never been convicted of anything. Well, now he will be. Send him back to DR so we the taxpayers don't have to pay millions of dollars over the course of his lifetime to keep him incarcerated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top