U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-19-2008, 07:06 PM

5 posts, read 21,891 times
Arrow Van Cortlandt Village

There are a few blocks in the Bronx next to Van Cortlandt Park know as Van Cortlandt Village. The blocks are the most beautiful, tree lined, quaint blocks and I need to know how to get IN!!! I do real estate so you would think I wouldn't have a problem finding any apartment I want, not the case. I have been trying to find a two bedroom in this small area for a while now and I don't want to give up because I know I won't be satisfied with anything else. I have a 5 year old daughter and this is where I want her to grow up. I love the zoned schools, people and beauty! PLEASE HELP! If you know of an apartment or who I can contact for one let me know.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 12:17 AM

2,806 posts, read 11,403,405 times
You like the schools there? I thought most of the parents in VCV tried to send their kids to schools in Riverdale if possible?

Old 04-20-2008, 06:16 AM

563 posts, read 1,151,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
You like the schools there? I thought most of the parents in VCV tried to send their kids to schools in Riverdale if possible?
PS 95 is one of the better public schools in the Bronx, but its problem is severe overcrowding. I was discussing with my old teacher a few weeks ago about how the school has changed dramatically since I left 8 years ago. He said it's gotten better, you never see afterschool fights anymore, teachers who have left the school are returning, etc.

The Amalgamated Coops are in the process of making an elementary school for neighborhood kids, I guess because of high demand. Most kids in PS 95 come from Norwood so there's not enough room for neighborhood kids.

Clinton High School, which is towards the northern end of Sedgwick, is a bad school (like all non-specialized public high schools in the city). On the contrary, if you absolutely must send your child to a public high school, then Clinton seems to be the most popular. A small number of kids go on to Ivy League Schools through a special program.

But most people in the neighborhood send their kids to private school for high school, if not Bronx Science. I went to an Ivy League Prep School (graduated last year) on scholarship. But I also had the option of Bronx Science and several Catholic Schools.

Last edited by Freak; 04-20-2008 at 06:25 AM..

Old 04-20-2008, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobbstorming View Post
There are a few blocks in the Bronx next to Van Cortlandt Park know as Van Cortlandt Village. The blocks are the most beautiful, tree lined, quaint blocks and I need to know how to get IN!!! I do real estate so you would think I wouldn't have a problem finding any apartment I want, not the case. I have been trying to find a two bedroom in this small area for a while now and I don't want to give up because I know I won't be satisfied with anything else. I have a 5 year old daughter and this is where I want her to grow up. I love the zoned schools, people and beauty! PLEASE HELP! If you know of an apartment or who I can contact for one let me know.
Sorry to say I can't help you here. What you should know is that anything south of Giles Place isn't really attractive and a tiny bit shady at night, so if you want to see the "beauty" of the neighborhood it's best you stay north of Giles. Many parents share your sentiments about the neighborhood - that's where the influx of young families formerly living in Manhattan came from.

I think that the best way to get updates on apartments is to one day just come into the neighborhood and go into each building and inquire, so that you can get the fresh word on what's available.

Feel free to ask anymore questions. I live here and wouldn't be bothered answering anything else.

EDIT: Woo-hoo~! 300 posts. Can't believe it took me 9 months.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:30 AM

2,806 posts, read 11,403,405 times
I wouldn't go so far to say that all public non-specialized high schools in the city are bad. There are apparently a good number of solid schools but they are in Staten Island, Northeastern Queens or Southern Brooklyn. For the majority of high schools though, you're definitely right that they aren't good.

When I have kids I hope to send them to Bronx Science or the High School of American Studies at Lehman Collegem, because they're both free. I am a product of the Catholic school system and I am very happy with the education that I received, however Catholic high schools and private high schools in general can be quite expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak View Post

Clinton High School, which is towards the northern end of Sedgwick, is a bad school (like all non-specialized public high schools in the city). On the contrary, if you absolutely must send your child to a public high school, then Clinton seems to be the most popular. A small number of kids go on to Ivy League Schools through a special program.

But most people in the neighborhood send their kids to private school for high school, if not Bronx Science. I went to an Ivy League Prep School (graduated last year) on scholarship. But I also had the option of Bronx Science and several Catholic Schools.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:22 AM

5 posts, read 21,891 times
I had also read about a school in the nieghborhood call the Am Park Neighborhood School which is supposed to be smaller and better than ps 95 the olny problem is I can't find any information on it. Apparently its grades k-1 and it plans on expanding (the article was rom 2006). does anyone know anything about it? I can't even find the address!
So, I guess ps 95 isnt the best so what r my options for a first grader? Charter Schools?
Also the apartment building I am looking to move into is the Bentley on Orlof ave. does anyone know anything about it aside from the actual building, which I've seen already.

Old 04-20-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
When I have kids I hope to send them to Bronx Science or the High School of American Studies at Lehman Collegem, because they're both free. I am a product of the Catholic school system and I am very happy with the education that I received, however Catholic high schools and private high schools in general can be quite expensive.
I had a problem with going to Bronx Science, which is why I chose the Ivy League Prepatory School. In Bronx Science, you have to be in the top 1% of the smartest kids in the city to go into a truly excellent college. Going to a boarding or Ivy League Prep school will almost guarantee you entry to a top notch college simply if you graduate from one of the schools. Obviously, they're expensive, but if your child is a decent kid academic wise and has a personality you'll get financial aid just like I did. They're heaps better than specialized high school. Classes range from 8 to 12 students, extracurricular activities are required, you get a real taste of the future. If you go to Bronx Science, you're just a number. If I'm still living in the city, which I don't think I will be, I would put my kids up for private/boarding school when high school time rolls around.

Quote:
I had also read about a school in the nieghborhood call the Am Park Neighborhood School which is supposed to be smaller and better than ps 95 the olny problem is I can't find any information on it.
That school is on Hillman Avenue, where PS 95's old Kindergarden building used to be. I think it's also used as a Jewish center at night. If you live in the neighborhood, you can definitely send your child there. It's much better than PS 95.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:47 PM

10,997 posts, read 14,003,045 times
it's amazing that on the other side of Van Cortlandt park south is West Gun Hill Rd which is very very run down. But I guess this illustrates the bronx and it's "pockets" of good and bad

Old 05-03-2008, 11:18 PM

5 posts, read 14,624 times
Default Advice from a Van Cortlandt Park Southie

I live on Van Cortland Park South in a townhouse betwen Broadway and Bailey.

THE SECRET: Other than knowing someone, you get rentals, and buy property, in this neighborhood through the want ads in the weekly newspaper The Riverdale Press. (It's a local newspaper that once won a Pulitzer, and it covers Kingsbridge, Van Cortlandt Village, Riverdale and south Yonkers.) Pick up one at a local newstand and then subscribe, you can find it allover 10463 and 10471 zips.

There are all the real estate firms advertising in there that have the Riverdale market tied up, that's where the money is for them but they also do the surrounding neighborhoods that the Riverdale Press covers, including Van Cortlandt Village Most of them will work as a rental agent for you for a fee, just tell them you want a Van Cortlandt Village apartment and they will look for you. I think there are several people that advertise in the Riverdale press that just do rental agent thing. This is also where most private owners list rentals and try "by owner" sales.

My personal story: me and the spouse lived in a large flat in an old frame farmhouse type house, middle class northern Riverdale, border of Yonkers, 260th Street, for 15 years. We learned about Riverdale from two short sublets there before that. We got that apartment by subscribing to The Riverdale Press after I spent a ton of time driving around and checking out the entirety of Riverdale including the toniest areas of Fieldston.

The landlord decided to sell the house and we had to move. That was nearly 8 years ago. I had a big container garden on the big porch there and I wanted to continue gardening. I found it kind of lonely there, though, with no people walking the steets, so I wanted something more urban, less "Riverdale" but with a place to garden. I saw an ad in the Riverdale press of an entire townhouse for rent on Van Cortlandt Park South for $2,000 a month, we had been paying $1,600 for 3 bedrooms. The landlord was a funny old tightwad Irish guy who had invested in real estate all his life and he had bought it from the next door nieghbors, also Irish, and just finished really fixing it up to top notch shape. I don't think he had had many respondents yet. He was thrilled I think, to have these two yuppies coming to see it, we were a dream come true for him. We didn't know if we could afford it but we decided to take the leap because it was so perfect.

The landlord died suddenly a few years ago. We researched becoming homeowners for the first time (in our 50's) and found out that once we got past the down payment and the closing costs, we would be paying the same in monthly payment as the rent for the rest of our lives, the "rent" never going up. We hated the idea of moving and having to find a new place, and it would cost a bundle, too. So we did it! We went to the funeral (we loved the guy, he was great, so no hardship there) we sucked up to the heirs, we nervously waited to hear from the heirs, made the offer and now we have taken one more rental off the market until we die, at least. Hah! Heck, it would have cost us the closing costs

If you walk around our very small neighborhood, you will see that there are virtually no grates on anyone's first floor windows like there are in Kingsbridge. That tells you all you need to know about crime here. The 50th precinct is nearby and they see us as part of the park and also part of Riverdale and take good care of us. The proximity to Riverdale's private neighborhood Fieldston, where all the high dollar old mansions are, will insure that the crime situation is never let to get too out of hand, we are sort of like the borderline between them and the more urban and more poor and more dense Kingsbridge.

I personally love the neighborhood compared to Riverdale, it is more urban and more working class, more authentic New York City life like it probably was in the 40's and 50's I thnk it is good neighborhood to raise kids in because it has a mixture of the good side of urban and suburban and there is a huge mixture of immigrants living around here, like you can hear all languages possible and all races. There is no "keep up with the Jones" thing, you have to be accepting of bad taste in Christmas decorations and things like that. In return you get a lof of diversity. Everyone is very tolerant of everyone else. It has struck me for several years now going to the local Staples at school supply time in September, it's like the United Nations. When I am gardening outside in the back yard on Bailey Avenue, I hear Russian, Chinese, Arabic,Hindi, French going by to the park.. And then in the front yard are all the Manhattan yuppies going to the Van Cortlandt Park golf course across the street. Farther north it is more suburban, more isolated, with the problems of bored and isolated kids.

And your kid can golf, go horseback riding, hiking, or watch soccer teams from the tri-state area play in Van Cortlandt Park. In the other direction, along Bailey, there are more basketball handball skating courts and little league baseball fields. Downside if you care about their diet: there's a MacDonald's walking distance.

Another downside to the neighborhood for kids is the traffic with the Deegan entrance/exit nearby. (The highway access also creates a lot of litter, which makes the neighborhood look lower class than the people living in it. The litter situation is quite bad also because of people coming to use the park) The immigrant parents in the neighborhood don't seem to mind the traffic, I garden in the back yard a lot (on Bailey Avenue) and there are kids running around alone past dark and riding their bikes just like I did as a kid back in Milwaukee in the 60's.

There are quite a few houses that look like single family houses but actually have been split into apartments, where your landlord will be the homeowner. Don't feel you have to settle for a high rise if you don't want to. If you can wait it out, you will eventually find something, especially if you are a good family man.

GET THE RIVERDALE PRESS and start working it yourself or hire one of the agents in it. If you use the latter, just tell them you want something in Van Cortlandt Village, they know what that means. If you do it yourself, you just have to learn what all the street names and addresses are that you want, because some "by owner" rentals will not use the "Van Cortlandt Village" name, they will either call it Kingsbridge or Riverdale or just put the address. You are expected to know the hood, if you don't you might miss something. That is the way to do it. You have to be ready to move when the right thing opens up, that's yoru only problem. Because of the number of immigrants, there is turnover (sometimes they go home or move!) it's not like City Island where it's impossible to get in if you know someone. It's just that it's small and you have to be ready to grab it when something opens up.

The Riverdale Press will also help inform you about the schools here and anything to do with kids, such as the playgrounds and the sports leagues and cluibs and stuff, heck that is a major part of what they report on, it's all community stuff. I don't have kids, but from what I read, the school situation is kind of complicated, if you're thinking public, you could get stuck in a bad one if you don't research it. But for elementary, there are good parochial quite close, it's not like you have to come up with the tuition to send them to same place the Kennedy's and all the other rich kids went in Riverdale. High school is another thing alltogether--the big public one is really big and has a lot of problems. But if the neighborhood improves and it definitely will with all the big corporations opening stores in the new mall near there, that should change There's going to be a lot of development going on along Broadway in the 230's in the next few years.

Once again, it's worth noting, there people in Riverdale have a lot invested in the reputation of their neighborhood, including big money in their homes, and they are incredibly active in local politics...this helps benefit the surrounding nabes.

As far as navigating, we find the neighborhood fabulous. The #1 subway within walking, both the Deegan and HHParkway very near, the Metro North a couple subway stops away. If you drive to Manhattan, until Bloomberg gets his way, you will quickly learn how to cross over to the FDR from the Deegan for free on one of the many small older bridges. In Riverdale, you had to take the bus to the subway, or drive and pay tolls, that was a bummer.

For suburban shopping with car, the world of Westchester is very close, Yonker's long Central Park Avenue very close, right after the Cross County shopping center with Macy's. If you want to go more upscale, White Plains is not that far away, either

Old 05-04-2008, 12:12 AM

5 posts, read 14,624 times
Default P.S. to my last and two possibilities for you

P.S. to my last.

Since you say you are in real estate, I should have made this part clearer: the real estate people and some city maps call it "Van Cortlandt Village." But none of the old timers who live here call it that, the people who own the properties. It's like a name some city guy invented that never took off. The people living here don't use it. They either say they live in Kingsbridge or they say they live in Riverdale or they say the live in the Bronx by Van Cortlandt Park. When they want to rent or sell, they will not use the name "Van Cortlandt Village."

Possibilities:

1) There is something going on with a house across the steet from my back yard for over a year, it's been empty but something is going to happen. It is like split into two-3 bedroom apartments.A Greek family used to own it (lived there for decades, everyone knew them,"the Greeks" a lot of kids would come and use their basketball hoop) and rent half of it out, their son had some tragic accident, they went back to Greece to retire there.

After that it had been short term rented out for a little while and then empty and then there were signs in the window if was for sale and then there were rental signs and then the sale signs again.

Nothing has been going on for months, just empty, then ast week there was guy using a power washer cleaning it off. Either they are trying to sell it again or someone has bought it and is going to try to rent. If selling, they are probably asking too much since there have been more than a few sales on the street the last couple of years.

It's 3860 Bailey Avenue, a two story above a garage with a red/white striped awning, right next to high rise apartment building overlooking Van Cortlandt Park, right off Van Cortlandt Park South, with the hill behind.

2) The very large and very lovely brick house that sits on a large triangular lot right on the southwest corner of Bailey and Van Cortlandt Park South actually is two houses, split down the middle property-wise, one address on Van Cortlandt Park South (132), another on Bailey (3883). When we were trying to buy our house, a couple from Spain with 3 kids had just bought the 3883 half of that house and had totally rehabbed it inside. She talked to me gardening and I asked to see their house because I wanted comparables. She gave me a tour, they did a luxury job, the part they were living in was like a 3-story townhouse in Manhattan, just beautiful, they even had a room for playing pool and an exercize room. Then there were also two apartments she said, still only on her side of the building. One is the garden apartment in front.. Anyhow, they disappeared, I don't know if they are living there anymore and I it seems like some of the apartments are not being used--I don't see the family who was in the garden apartment last year for example, and someone is doing further rehab work, there is a pile of cement debris. Also, on the Van Cortlandt Park side of the house things seem awful quiet. I think there might be several aparrtments available there soon if not now.

By the way, inbetween 3860 Broadway and the high-rise is one of the Kingsbridge's "step streets." See
Steps Streets (http://www.forgotten-ny.com/STREET%20SCENES/STEP%20STREETS/steps.html - broken link)

And the mystery of how you find Van Cortlandt Park South addresses lower than 132 is you take the step street just north of there on the entrance to the Deegan north on Bailey. There is another "Van Cortlandt Park" south at the top of the hill, which you can only get to directly using the "Van Cortlandt Park South" step-street, you see. A car has to go up the hill and make many turns to get there, but walking it is a straight line.

Don't give up, a lot of these houses have apartments in them and there is definitely much more movement here than in a place like City Island. Lots of people also rent out their garages to the people in the high rises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City