U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-23-2008, 07:03 AM
 
Location: New York City
2,317 posts, read 5,901,067 times
Reputation: 1043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Seems like he was talking about newly signed leases, not people who have been in their apartments for 20 years. Also the OP is asking about Williamsburg and jjbradley's area of expertise is in Wmsburg and the vicinity if I remember correctly.
That's correct, Henna. Thanks. I was not referring to apartments all over the city, either. Just focusing on my experience in Williamsburg/Greenpoint/Bushwick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-23-2008, 01:19 PM
 
12 posts, read 60,515 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
geta pte job then you wont be a student any more.

Trust me, dude. I've got a part time job. I'm a bartender. But - alas - I still need to have a guarantor. And while technically - if I'm right - it's illegal to discriminate in terms of age, it's not illegal to discriminate in terms of income? I'm not sure - still trying to figure out the fair housing act.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2008, 07:26 PM
 
933 posts, read 2,438,575 times
Reputation: 477
Why should the landlord take students -- especially the ones who live 3 or 4 to a 3 bedroom apartment who will pay $1,500 a piece effectively raising rents for everyone. Again, the epitome of entitlement.

The OP should either get a higher paying job so he or she can qualify on their own -- you know its called 'living within your means' a foreign concept to most NY'ers or B) Keep looking..

Maybe ask mommy for the 20% so he or she can buy a place like the majority of parents are doing for their kids in most of condos going up in Manhattan & Brooklyn??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2008, 07:10 AM
 
12 posts, read 60,515 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
Why should the landlord take students -- especially the ones who live 3 or 4 to a 3 bedroom apartment who will pay $1,500 a piece effectively raising rents for everyone. Again, the epitome of entitlement.

The OP should either get a higher paying job so he or she can qualify on their own -- you know its called 'living within your means' a foreign concept to most NY'ers or B) Keep looking..

Maybe ask mommy for the 20% so he or she can buy a place like the majority of parents are doing for their kids in most of condos going up in Manhattan & Brooklyn??
You know, I resent everything you've just said here. Unlike you want to believe, you arrogant jerk, by living with multiple people I am living within my means. You think that I can go run to daddy and beg for the 20 percent down on a condo? I come from a low income household. I'm a freaking first generation college student and I think I'm doing pretty well. I'm not a hipster douche-bag, living on a trust fund and studying "modern art", like most of the people migrating to williamsburg. I'm living with that many people JUST SO WE CAN AFFORD IT. Don't jump to arrogant, stupid conclusions full of hot air before you know the entire story.

I manage to live within my means. I've also taken loans to go to school, so I'm showing little to no wealth. But I get by on my own. I've been blessed with a decent enough job to get by BUT BY NO MANNER TO SHOW A HIGH ENOUGH INCOME TO RENT. So I've turned to my father to guarantor for me, because I'm collecting extra money from school because I'm living off campus - thereby allowing me to pay the rent and collect a bit extra to live on.

Bet you feel really good about yourself now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2008, 07:34 AM
 
Location: Atlantic Highlands NJ/Ponte Vedra FL/NYC
2,689 posts, read 170,549 times
Reputation: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevey View Post
You know, I resent everything you've just said here. Unlike you want to believe, you arrogant jerk, by living with multiple people I am living within my means. You think that I can go run to daddy and beg for the 20 percent down on a condo? I come from a low income household. I'm a freaking first generation college student and I think I'm doing pretty well. I'm not a hipster douche-bag, living on a trust fund and studying "modern art", like most of the people migrating to williamsburg. I'm living with that many people JUST SO WE CAN AFFORD IT. Don't jump to arrogant, stupid conclusions full of hot air before you know the entire story.

I manage to live within my means. I've also taken loans to go to school, so I'm showing little to no wealth. But I get by on my own. I've been blessed with a decent enough job to get by BUT BY NO MANNER TO SHOW A HIGH ENOUGH INCOME TO RENT. So I've turned to my father to guarantor for me, because I'm collecting extra money from school because I'm living off campus - thereby allowing me to pay the rent and collect a bit extra to live on.

Bet you feel really good about yourself now.
It's very noble that you are trying to make it on your own, too bad you detest everyone who has it a bit easier than you do. The reality is that nobody really cares how tough it is for you, get over it, or you can fall into the trap believing that you're a victim and forever be stuck whining about your lot in life.
My question is why do you feel entitled to rent anywhere you care to? if a landlord doesn't want students as tenants, deal with it, move on to the next place.
as long as you are a tenant you are at the mercy of landlords, so pay your dues, get educated, work hard and get yourself into a position where you can buy your own place and then the landlords have no power over you.

don't sweat it out over minor issues that you have little control over. There will always be people who have more than you do and there will be who will be in worse shape than you are, that is the way it is and moaning over your place in life is useless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2008, 05:56 PM
 
12 posts, read 60,515 times
Reputation: 13
You're right - I think I reacted a bit too harshly and jumped on top of a soapbox. Truth is, I'm just a tad frustrated. I don't look down on the landlord for not renting to us - I just thought there was a law restricting it, that's all. And about that last one, dunno - the guy seemed a bit on the attack to me, and I couldn't just bite my lip without saying something. Came out preachy but meh. What can you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2008, 04:33 AM
 
1,309 posts, read 2,270,487 times
Reputation: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbro View Post
Oh, come on!!! Not even close! In my building, we just got our first student since 1975. (I know, because I've been here since then and have known all the tenants.) In fact, most of the residents (all renters) are in their 50s! Landlords can easily exclude students and still find tenants. It's the wrong moral choice, but not the wrong economic one.
50's??? shouldn't those people be in their own houses and not renting? what sort of 50 year olds are we talking about? just curious...sounds weird
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2008, 04:50 AM
 
7,081 posts, read 23,819,707 times
Reputation: 3625
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
50's??? shouldn't those people be in their own houses and not renting? what sort of 50 year olds are we talking about? just curious...sounds weird
This is NYC. Many, MANY people rent here. Completely normal in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2008, 06:24 AM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
2,806 posts, read 11,586,672 times
Reputation: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
50's??? shouldn't those people be in their own houses and not renting? what sort of 50 year olds are we talking about? just curious...sounds weird
What kind of fly-over state are you from? I have 70 year old ladies on my floor who are renting. They live in stabilized apartments and probably pay under $500 a month in rent.

This is very common place in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2008, 08:55 AM
 
6,833 posts, read 11,176,612 times
Reputation: 3921
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
What kind of fly-over state are you from? I have 70 year old ladies on my floor who are renting. They live in stabilized apartments and probably pay under $500 a month in rent.

This is very common place in the city.
And lots of them DO own something - like a country house upstate. Why give up your rent-control or rent-stablized apartment in the city when you can have both?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top