Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 10:36 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,292,446 times

Advertisements

Newbie here.

I'm from the Eastchester section of the Bronx (literally a few houses from the Mt. Vernon border) and I've been reading these forums for the last couple years and finally decided to start posting.

I just wanted to say a little something on the 2nd Avenue Subway that they're building that supposed to relieve the Lex lines.

The first stage of the build is to go from 96th/2nd to 63rd/Lex to have the Q go up there but that only helps people that get on at 14th. Grand Central isn't relieved, you can't transfer from 59th (that is such a bad station) to 63rd and 86th is a non-factor.

Also, hasn't the MTA been trying to build this thing since the 20's or something but there's always a financial roadblock that puts everything on hold for decades?

Just wanted to get some opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 10:41 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,099,164 times
I thought the 2nd ave line had been put on hold indefinitely? The lex line is so over crowded, it is desperately needed. The westside has three lines to the east's one. I wonder why is was planned that way to begin with?

Old 04-29-2008, 10:42 AM

10,066 posts, read 14,439,885 times
I think the bulk of this thing will get built this time in one swoop--but there might be the southern portion that gets held up--below 14th St (or another portion). There have been so many delays in reference to funding over the years. Now, it seems like the funding is in place for the current under-construction piece. It's been a long time coming.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:17 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
They shouldn't just stop with the second ave line, a lot of little things here and there would help a lot. Like getting rid of or improving some of the really under- performing lines like the G, the B, etc. The B has sucked pretty much since I was little, I'm talking like the 80's people. Enough is enough.

Service in the Bronx is terrible IMO. More express lines are needed.

Also I would really like if they made another crosstown shuttle uptown somewhere. I know there's buses, yeah but let's be real, buses suck!

Old 04-29-2008, 12:22 PM

These are the stops IF it ever gets completed.

Going from south/north:

- Hanover Square (Wall/Water) - South Ferry/Bowling Green/Whitehall relief

- Seaport (Fulton/Water) - this one is SO needed. It's a LONG walk from Broadway to here.

- Chatham Square / Chinatown - this one is needed too. This area is pretty overcrowded with buses.

- Grand/Chrystie - 6th Av Line connection

- Houston/2nd - another 6th Av Line connection

- 14th/2nd - connect with the L at 3rd, I guess

- 23rd/2nd - b/c it's 23rd Street and the hospital I think is right there.

- 34th/2nd - b/c it's 34th Street

- 42nd/2nd - U.N. & connection to Grand Central is needed

- 55th/2nd - This station should be at 57th - but I guess they want to connect to the trains on 53rd Street

- 72nd/2nd - for the UES'ers that don't want to walk to 68th or 77th

- 86th/2nd - don't want to walk to 86th/Lex - relieves that station a little

- 96th/2nd - helps 96th/Lex - but that station isn't as jampacked as 86th

- 106th/2nd - 103rd & 110th gets help, moreso 103rd, I think. I don't like those stations and their tiny, tiny platforms

- 116th/2nd

- 125th/Lex - I read they're going to put the station under the southbound platforms and apparently have a direct hookup to the Metro North - which is only a block away at Park

A friend of mine suggested to me once that they should go all the way and extend this further into Harlem and into the Bronx - putting stations at 125th/Lenox, 125th/8th and then have it turn onto the 'D' Line with a stop at 145th and then have it run to Bedford Park - possibly replacing the 'B' when it goes up there. Completely impossible and a lot of NIMBYism can grow from this idea but it sounded OK.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K 22 View Post
These are the stops IF it ever gets completed.

Going from south/north:

- Hanover Square (Wall/Water) - South Ferry/Bowling Green/Whitehall relief

- Seaport (Fulton/Water) - this one is SO needed. It's a LONG walk from Broadway to here.

- Chatham Square / Chinatown - this one is needed too. This area is pretty overcrowded with buses.

- Grand/Chrystie - 6th Av Line connection

- Houston/2nd - another 6th Av Line connection

- 14th/2nd - connect with the L at 3rd, I guess

- 23rd/2nd - b/c it's 23rd Street and the hospital I think is right there.

- 34th/2nd - b/c it's 34th Street

- 42nd/2nd - U.N. & connection to Grand Central is needed

- 55th/2nd - This station should be at 57th - but I guess they want to connect to the trains on 53rd Street

- 72nd/2nd - for the UES'ers that don't want to walk to 68th or 77th

- 86th/2nd - don't want to walk to 86th/Lex - relieves that station a little

- 96th/2nd - helps 96th/Lex - but that station isn't as jampacked as 86th

- 106th/2nd - 103rd & 110th gets help, moreso 103rd, I think. I don't like those stations and their tiny, tiny platforms

- 116th/2nd

- 125th/Lex - I read they're going to put the station under the southbound platforms and apparently have a direct hookup to the Metro North - which is only a block away at Park

A friend of mine suggested to me once that they should go all the way and extend this further into Harlem and into the Bronx - putting stations at 125th/Lenox, 125th/8th and then have it turn onto the 'D' Line with a stop at 145th and then have it run to Bedford Park - possibly replacing the 'B' when it goes up there. Completely impossible and a lot of NIMBYism can grow from this idea but it sounded OK.
Why would there be NIMYism? I think people would be pissed off at a few years of interrupted service but in the long run I think most people Uptown and in the Bronx would appreciate more service and improved service.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Service in the Bronx is terrible IMO. More express lines are needed.

Also I would really like if they made another crosstown shuttle uptown somewhere. I know there's buses, yeah but let's be real, buses suck!
I wouldn't mind a cross-Bronx line along Fordham Rd/Pelham Pkwy myself. You could start it at 207th/Broadway and have it go to Co-op City.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't mind a cross-Bronx line along Fordham Rd/Pelham Pkwy myself. You could start it at 207th/Broadway and have it go to Co-op City.
I meant uptown Manhattan like ahem MTA 125th street! But yeah the Bronx desperately needs at least one crosstown shuttle as well.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:10 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,553,567 times
For those interested in NYC's subway history, a major expansion thought up in the from 30s known as the "Second System": Proposed New York City Subway expansion (1929-1940) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Basically it was a massive expansion into many under served areas today. If you check out the map, you would see lines going into areas such as College Point, Bayside, Marine Park, the northern section of Staten Island and others.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:15 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,368,610 times
The MTA is going to institute a Bus Rapid Transit line along Fordham Road and Pelham Parkway. That will largely take care of this route.

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City