U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-22-2008, 02:20 PM

1,276 posts, read 2,769,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post

If my understanding is correct on the coolness of living in the hood, the more compelling question then is whether considering these people and their struggles as a life lesson/art exhibit is demeaning to the community and belittles the real problems/struggles that people face. I can see both sides of the issue more clearly now....can anyone provide some insight...I would especially like to hear from those who made a move to a "hood". Thanks.
Yes, not only is it demeaning, I think it is it detrimental to the younger people/ children that are living in this neighborhood. Instead of growing up hearing that the hood is a place you should strive to make better, or maybe even leave, they are hearing from society that the hood is “cool” and ghetto life makes you “hard” and “real”. So many of the kids grow up with no aspirations to leave thus creating a never-ending cycle of poverty.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 02:39 PM

139 posts, read 603,820 times
the hood is the hood anybody really from the hood telling you they love living in the hood is a got-dam liar.straight up,thats only cool in the eyes of lil kids.older you get the more land & better living you want for yourself & your seeds & fam

Old 04-22-2008, 02:45 PM

2,978 posts, read 917,052 times
Spoken like a true guy from the hood Q-dog....you sound alot like my neighbor.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:46 PM

2,689 posts, read 278,332 times
if you dig living in a sewer then the ghetto life is for you, anyone with more than a few working brain cells wouldn't choose to live there

Old 04-22-2008, 04:21 PM

878 posts, read 1,833,782 times
I think that it depends on what your 'hood is. I see less then what other people see in my 'hood, as I don't view it as a bad place to live. I am not nervous walking around my 'hood, I enjoy living in my 'hood with all of its ups and downs because I can identify with the successess and the struggles that people in my 'hood go through. I enjoy the diversity of my 'hood and I enjoy that there are various cultural institutions that are not far from my 'hood. I don't need coffee shops and designer boutiques in my 'hood. Give me the corner bodega that I can go to, cleaners, supermarkets, laundromats, banks, check cashing places etc, that I can go to and handle my daily business. I don't need doormen in my 'hood, I don't need a remarkable view from my windows in my 'hood, I don't need a sushi restaurant in my 'hood. Give me a gym that is clean and has equipment, nice barbershops, schools that aspire to really teach the kids in the 'hood, landlords that care about their buildings and their tenants. Those are the things that I want in my 'hood and most of them are the things that I have in my 'hood.

You may consider my 'hood the ghetto but for me my 'hood is home. We don't have people on the corner selling drugs in my 'hood, we don't have gangs roaming the streets in my 'hood. Not saying that they are not there but they are not visible to me. We have regular people who are working to make life better for themselves and their families. We have poor people in my 'hood, we have middle class people in my 'hood, I guess if I looked hard enough I could find some rich people in my 'hood. Your 'hood is what you make it, and since the "ghetto" is defined as a section of a city in which a minority group lives because of economic or social pressure then I guess my 'hood is the ghetto and I do not see myself leaving the ghetto anytime soon.

Is it cool to live in the 'hood? Depends on what your 'hood is and what your "hood is representing. If your 'hood is representing disenfranchisement, despair, no hope etc...then it would not a good place to live. If you 'hood is representing empowerment and people moving forward together then it can be a very invigorating experience, as the 'hood will celebrate the success stories that we have, and pick up the ones that have fallen so that they can rise again. Out of the ashes a phoenix rises, that is what I am looking for and that is what some of these 'hoods are.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:25 PM

1,276 posts, read 2,769,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkman View Post
I think that it depends on what your 'hood is. I see less then what other people see in my 'hood, as I don't view it as a bad place to live. I am not nervous walking around my 'hood, I enjoy living in my 'hood with all of its ups and downs because I can identify with the successess and the struggles that people in my 'hood go through. I enjoy the diversity of my 'hood and I enjoy that there are various cultural institutions that are not far from my 'hood. I don't need coffee shops and designer boutiques in my 'hood. Give me the corner bodega that I can go to, cleaners, supermarkets, laundromats, banks, check cashing places etc, that I can go to and handle my daily business. I don't need doormen in my 'hood, I don't need a remarkable view from my windows in my 'hood, I don't need a sushi restaurant in my 'hood. Give me a gym that is clean and has equipment, nice barbershops, schools that aspire to really teach the kids in the 'hood, landlords that care about their buildings and their tenants. Those are the things that I want in my 'hood and most of them are the things that I have in my 'hood.

You may consider my 'hood the ghetto but for me my 'hood is home. We don't have people on the corner selling drugs in my 'hood, we don't have gangs roaming the streets in my 'hood. Not saying that they are not there but they are not visible to me. We have regular people who are working to make life better for themselves and their families. We have poor people in my 'hood, we have middle class people in my 'hood, I guess if I looked hard enough I could find some rich people in my 'hood. Your 'hood is what you make it, and since the "ghetto" is defined as a section of a city in which a minority group lives because of economic or social pressure then I guess my 'hood is the ghetto and I do not see myself leaving the ghetto anytime soon.

Is it cool to live in the 'hood? Depends on what your 'hood is and what your "hood is representing. If your 'hood is representing disenfranchisement, despair, no hope etc...then it would not a good place to live. If you 'hood is representing empowerment and people moving forward together then it can be a very invigorating experience, as the 'hood will celebrate the success stories that we have, and pick up the ones that have fallen so that they can rise again. Out of the ashes a phoenix rises, that is what I am looking for and that is what some of these 'hoods are.

Well said Drkman.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:52 PM

14 posts, read 62,014 times
its only cool when you are young and you grew up in the neighborHOOD. you know everybody, and everybody knows you, you had good days and you had bad days. you got your ass kicked, and you kicked some ass, its cool then yes. But Any grown person listening to hip hop, fascinated by hood is a clown. Because truth be told there is nothing cool about living in the hood. Rats, roaches, junkies, crackheads, gun shots..etc. WHo wants to live with that ****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
In the news, and amongst the various newbies searching for their foothold in NYC, the idea that it is cool or hip, or otherwise something positive to live in the hood tends to come up.

As a longtime resident of arguably the most notorious hood in the country, Mott Haven (aka South Bronx), it was hard for me to understand how living here could be something sought after or otherwise cool. However, I am now seeing more new faces and it begs the question: "Is it cool to live in the hood"?

After careful consideration, I can see how it is possible...and part of the theory is the idea that the grass is always greener on the other side. Those that have experienced solely the suburban lifestyle, and life without many real challenges yearn for meaning, substance, the need to belong via the everyday struggles of people, the hunger to experience life in a raw form, and, in theory, to take those lessons and make you a better, more resilient, stronger, well-rounded, and wiser person. Someone that has experienced, even on some level, the other side of life, and has drawn some knowledge or wisdom from such an experience.

I can understand, then, that there are very few places that can provide such a slice of life that anyone can experience. As a result, I can see why many would seek to live in areas like Mott Haven....it is similar, in my opinion, to living in a live art exhibit, where you are surrounded by the people, struggles, environment, and all that is good and bad.

If my understanding is correct on the coolness of living in the hood, the more compelling question then is whether considering these people and their struggles as a life lesson/art exhibit is demeaning to the community and belittles the real problems/struggles that people face. I can see both sides of the issue more clearly now....can anyone provide some insight...I would especially like to hear from those who made a move to a "hood". Thanks.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:24 PM

718 posts, read 1,547,546 times
Guy, good post idea here

Its good to be proud of the specific neighborhood you were born into if it was a great place to live and offers many things. However being from the hood means you probably lived a rough life and there is nothing cool about having it tough. Growing up losing friends to drugs and violence and having to watch your back all the time is not a way to live. The people who find it cool are the ones that have nothing to identify with, and those who do not appreciate what they have. People from the hood want to get out and do better for themselves, that doesnt necessarily mean a mcmansion in the suburbs, it just means a safe place to live comfortably. If you survive the hood it does make you tougher, and there is a closeness with neighbors when you are struggling and an appreciation for the little things in life. However good parenting outside of the hood can teach valuable life lessons. Its just kids are too busy wanting to be Jay-Z to listen to their parents, who have lived life longer and may have even come from the hood themselves.

Some people feel that they can move into the hood at age 25 from the innocent cornfields or comfortable suburbs to make up for lost time. Realize where you are from is where you did your growing up, ages 0-18. The phenomenon of "voluntary poverty" is about the dumbest thing you can do since you are inflicting higher risk on yourself and making your living situation worse as if youre trying to prove something to someone. When most people either strive to move up or keep the status quo, these people are essentially moving down in the world, which shows a lack of self appreciation.

People watch too much tv and movies and spend too much time worrying about others and sweating their status, and therefore wish they could have more street cred to intimidate people simply by answering the "Where are you from?" question. Half the time its not even what is actually the gutter, its what sounds "gangsta" to those who dont know better. NY seems to be at the top as far as street cred. Brooklyn seems to be the end all name to drop across America to those who are only know about the hood through tv or internet. For instance most of America would give the street cred to a guy from Brooklyn Heights over a guy from North Philly. This is so silly, people can be tough in any city, even hicks can be tough, its all about YOU and how YOU handle your business.

Usually you can pick up whether someone is actually from the hood or just moved in there to pretend they are. Make sure you follow "Where are you from?....Brooklyn" with "NO, where are you REALLY from?" and of course people put their head down and say stuff like Connecticut, New Jersey, Minnesota, Ohio, etc. I dont understand this. People need to be proud of their nice childhoods as their parents probably worked hard to provide that for them. You cant really run away from what your parents gave you as a kid, whether you were neglected or spoiled, that is how you grew up. If they gladly accepted all the video game systems and bicycles as a kid and flaunted it, why are they in denial of their past and pretending they have it tough now in Bushwick 10-15 years later?

Last edited by DITC; 04-22-2008 at 07:36 PM..

Old 04-23-2008, 06:06 AM

10,153 posts, read 18,053,337 times
I'm proud to be from Far Rockaway, and the experiences I had, good or bad, made me the person I am today. Even though Far Rockaway is the hood.

However, you have people that use the hood for credibility. I frown upon that.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-23-2008, 06:58 AM

2,978 posts, read 917,052 times
Good posts DITC and darkman!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City