U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-26-2010, 07:31 AM

6,625 posts, read 10,706,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
The label alone makes the rents skyrocket even though as some people have mentioned in this thread the number of hipsters may not even be that high.
Actually, what makes rents go up is when their market value goes up -- meaning, when people are willing to pay more for them.

You do realize, right, that some of these "hipsters" moved to Bushwick because they could not afford other neighborhoods like the Lower East Side and Williamsburg, right?

So if your theory is true about residents being pissed off because they are being pushed out of Bushwick because the rents have increased, then pretty much everyone (except the super rich) will be walking around pissed off because they can't afford the neighborhoods where they feel they should have a right to live.

People move where they can afford, and where they feel they want to live.
I live in Queens and know MANY people who have moved from Brooklyn and Manhattan. Was it a love of Queens that brought them to Queens? Highly unlikely. More likely is that Queens is cheaper.

You might try doing a little research on changing neighborhoods and market rents and that sort of thing before you get all up in arms about what is going on in Bushwick. Neighborhoods change. Sometimes this means rents go up and people of lesser means have to find a neighborhood that is cheaper. Welcome to life.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 07:45 AM

8,752 posts, read 8,614,709 times
Well said Henna..everyone is just trying to live comfortably and we are all suffering from the same problems in NYC!

Old 05-26-2010, 06:25 PM

2,734 posts, read 3,013,733 times
@ Henna you seem to be taking my comments personally. Im not attacking anyone and i didnt mention anything about this point specifically on this thread:

"So if your theory is true about residents being pissed off because they are being pushed out of Bushwick because the rents have increased, then pretty much everyone (except the super rich) will be walking around pissed off because they can't afford the neighborhoods where they feel they should have a right to live."

my main comment on this thread: "Whether people want to admit it or not and its not the artists, hipsters fault, the city have deemed the yuppies or white hipsters as people that can change a hood and make it an up and coming neighborhood."

I said it right there that its not the hipsters or artists fault but the second these hipsters or artists came into the neighborhood money began pouring into the neighborhood trying to make it hipster and artist friendly. Places like Barcey's coffee shops began opening more frequently over the past two years. Tons of condominiums being built, etc. You cant deny these facts.

I guess i just dont understand why do the hipsters and yuppies limit themselves to these neighborhoods. Its like every hipster that posts a thread about looking for an apartment continues saying the same thing. Im looking for an apartment in East Williamsburg or bushwick. In a way, they are crouding into these neighborhoods where the owners would love to kick out the hard working hispanics and blacks because of the negative connotations they have, for the hipsters.

Again nobody is forcing you or tellling you to move or live in another area, im just stating what i see with the neighborhood.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
@ Henna you seem to be taking my comments personally. Im not attacking anyone and i didnt mention anything about this point specifically on this thread:

No, it's not personal. I'm not a hipster.

But I do not think people should have to justify why they want to live in a certain neighborhood, nor do I think white people (or any other color) should be made to feel self-conscious because of their choice in a neighborhood.

Anyway, I think I already made my point - it's a free market. If a place is for rent and a potential tenant wants to rent it -- I do not think anyone should be sniffing around to see whether this person is which race or where they fall on the scale of hipster-ism, or whatever you think the criteria should be for renting.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:39 AM

2,734 posts, read 3,013,733 times
"I do not think anyone should be sniffing around to see whether this person is which race or where they fall on the scale of hipster-ism, or whatever you think the criteria should be for renting."

by that comment right there it shows how you twisted my comments and made it seem as if I have some personal vendetta against the hipsters. i'll be honest, no they're not my favorite people in the world but I have nothing against them moving wherever they choose. I even stated that its not them that cause the rents to skyrocket but its the perception that them moving into a neighborhood even in a relatively small amount will cause a neighborhood to become up and coming much moreso than if the neighborhood were to get better without the hipster invasion with the demographics it had lets say in the 90s.

There are plenty of artists that come here because they have no choice, there are plenty of artists that come because they are interested in working with the current local population when it comes to art and i think its a great thing. They are helping the community to grow in culture and i honestly and genuinely welcome it. However there are also others that move here simply for accessibility to Manhattan and because this neighborhood is labeled up and coming. Either that or they want to claim that they live in the "hood" because they want to claim they live in a tough and gritty neighborhood when they originally came from suburbia and to me thats retarded.

When there are so many other areas in NYC to rent from and possibly look for a cheaper apartment, they limit themselves to two neighborhoods in the entire NYC area one of them still being a dangerous area plagued with gangs, drugs, and infested with rats, bugs etc. I don't get the hype but again to each his own and they can move whereever they feel like moving.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
"I do not think anyone should be sniffing around to see whether this person is which race or where they fall on the scale of hipster-ism, or whatever you think the criteria should be for renting."

by that comment right there it shows how you twisted my comments and made it seem as if I have some personal vendetta against the hipsters. i'll be honest, no they're not my favorite people in the world but I have nothing against them moving wherever they choose. I even stated that its not them that cause the rents to skyrocket but its the perception that them moving into a neighborhood even in a relatively small amount will cause a neighborhood to become up and coming much moreso than if the neighborhood were to get better without the hipster invasion with the demographics it had lets say in the 90s.

There are plenty of artists that come here because they have no choice, there are plenty of artists that come because they are interested in working with the current local population when it comes to art and i think its a great thing. They are helping the community to grow in culture and i honestly and genuinely welcome it. However there are also others that move here simply for accessibility to Manhattan and because this neighborhood is labeled up and coming. Either that or they want to claim that they live in the "hood" because they want to claim they live in a tough and gritty neighborhood when they originally came from suburbia and to me thats retarded.

When there are so many other areas in NYC to rent from and possibly look for a cheaper apartment, they limit themselves to two neighborhoods in the entire NYC area one of them still being a dangerous area plagued with gangs, drugs, and infested with rats, bugs etc. I don't get the hype but again to each his own and they can move whereever they feel like moving.
You may be right that I have totally misunderstood what you are trying to say. Sorry about that. I don't have time to go back through all the posts to see what exactly I misunderstood.

So, maybe we agree, then? People, regardless of their color, should be allowed to live where they want provided they can afford it, without complaints, hatred and being given the evil-eye by differently-colored people who have lived in the neighborhood longer than they have?

If that's what we can agree on, then great.

If we can't agree on that, I have to exit the conversation as it seems to be running in circles.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:37 PM

76 posts, read 135,338 times
This Saturday there were two separate shootings on 143rd street and 3rd avenue (Patterson Projects) in the Bronx. Guess its the summertime wake up call for the yuppies trying to move in.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:15 PM

40 posts, read 86,303 times
can anyone tell me if i move here, lets say bushwick/east w.burg, if someone like me will instantly be hated by most and classified as a yupster from a distance, or will most people up there actually consider you as just another dude working as hard as everyone else to live where everyone lives?[/quote]

Hi SCote. In 2006 I moved to Flatbush Ave (in the area between Lincoln Rd and Parkside). That's not the ghetto, but I definitely stood out at first as a white kid from the midwest.

Some things were said to me a few times on the street that I can't repeat here, but I never felt unsafe. I think that was mostly a test...they wanted to see if I was gonna freak out and run away scared or cop some sort of attitude and start something with them. I did neither and just looked them in the eye so they knew i heard exactly what they said, but kept on walking. It wasn't long before the UPS guy would say hi to me by name and people in my building would say hi or nod at me. I found 98% of the people to be friendly. Maybe b/c I held doors for people in the building, and didn't cop an attitude. I genuinely felt that after a couple months I was no more or less likely to get messed with than anybody else who lived there. I think it all comes down to respect...you're pretty much walking into somebody else's home as an outsider...you've gotta know that and show respect for their home. If you don't walk around like you either a) own the place, or b) are scared out of your mind, i think you pretty quickly become a common site that nobody thinks twice about.

I think respect goes a long way and 98% of the people there all want the same thing...to just go on about their business...whether their business is selling something on the corner or trying to raise their kids right. But I also didn't stand out as looking like a yuppy or looking like a skinny jean/ironic tshirt kind of person. I think I just looked like a guy who was minding his own business.

So, in short, I don't think anybody is going to resent you if treat the place you live with respect. But, take all this with a grain of salt as I'm still pretty much a NYC newbie.

As to why I lived there...I needed a place I could afford and was new enough to NYC that I didn't actually know that the area was considered a little rough. Good luck.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:39 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,324,792 times
Of course not. You accumulate cool points by making frequent visits then returning to the confines of your gated manicured estate in Bel Aire. Bonus street creds may be gained with an arrest of some sort, but that’s optional-lol.

Last edited by Aficionado; 06-01-2010 at 01:06 PM..

Old 06-01-2010, 06:52 PM

32 posts, read 30,640 times
Nobody born and raised in the hood lives there bc they love living there but most appreciate the fact that its made them a stronger person who is able to take care of themselves and not a naive, pampered suburban coward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City