Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 03:04 AM

11 posts, read 45,480 times

Advertisements

Man, this discussion board is depressing me. I'm accepting a position at Brooklyn College that will start at $65,000 (plus whatever I can make during summers). I have a wife (who makes more than me now) and a one-year old daughter. Our combined incomes should be at least $120,000 per year to start. We plan to rent for a year or two in something like Park Slope, Bayridge, Dyker Heights, Bensonhurst, Marine Park or Gerritsen Beach. Then we'll make a decision about long term plans. We currently live in Perth, Australia (we're American, just here for a little while), where the price of real estate and the cost of living is comparable to the New York City area. I suspect our trips into Manhattan will be for recreation (i.e. once in a while, and even less when the novelty wears off). Surely, there must be people in Brooklyn with similar incomes and families who actually enjoy living there. Otherwise, from reading most of these threads, I'd have to conclude that I'm destined for a life of misery, my wife is going to get raped and mugged, and my daughter will grow up to be dumber than a doornail and burnt out by the age of 12 (I mean, seriously, you'd think that no one in New York City can learn to read and do arithmetic in the public schools based on some of the previous discussions I've read). Discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 05:04 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,965,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfbranco View Post
Man, this discussion board is depressing me. I'm accepting a position at Brooklyn College that will start at $65,000 (plus whatever I can make during summers). I have a wife (who makes more than me now) and a one-year old daughter. Our combined incomes should be at least $120,000 per year to start. We plan to rent for a year or two in something like Park Slope, Bayridge, Dyker Heights, Bensonhurst, Marine Park or Gerritsen Beach. Then we'll make a decision about long term plans. We currently live in Perth, Australia (we're American, just here for a little while), where the price of real estate and the cost of living is comparable to the New York City area. I suspect our trips into Manhattan will be for recreation (i.e. once in a while, and even less when the novelty wears off). Surely, there must be people in Brooklyn with similar incomes and families who actually enjoy living there. Otherwise, from reading most of these threads, I'd have to conclude that I'm destined for a life of misery, my wife is going to get raped and mugged, and my daughter will grow up to be dumber than a doornail and burnt out by the age of 12 (I mean, seriously, you'd think that no one in New York City can learn to read and do arithmetic in the public schools based on some of the previous discussions I've read). Discuss.
many people in your situation have fled brooklyn for the suburbs, that's not saying that you wouldn't be very happy living in brooklyn, it's just saying that many people like you have decided that living in dense, crime ridden areas with poor schools are not for them. good luck with whatever you choose to do

Old 04-24-2008, 06:28 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,367,797 times
People on here CAN seem depressing at times.

I'd say check out southern Brooklyn. Bay Ridge and Dyker heights are really nice neighborhoods and are pretty affordable when it comes to renting. The public schools are alright down there, but you might want to consider sending your kid to parochial school.

There is not much crime to speak of in Southern Brooklyn, and its generally considered a nice area to live. I'd check it out.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:08 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,178 times
Happiness is a state of mind...so no matter where you go and where you live...if you maintain a positive outlook and enjoy all the life throws at you, then you will be quite happy in Brooklyn. There are many naysayers on here....don't believe the negative hype. I am confident that once you are actually here...you will enjoy it far more than you anticipated.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:23 AM

52 posts, read 150,204 times
BFBranco- stick to Park Slope. You can get a garden apt (2 bdrm) in a brownstone near Prospect park for your price range. Look for one within 2 blocks of the park.
You guys will love it. Don't go anywhere else in Brooklyn, trust me. You may feel like an outsider in many of those other neighborhoods. Park Slope is a nice mix of native NY'ers and transplants from other places.
Park slope is a nice looking and laid back area- with all the amenities- great restaurants.
Prospect Park is such a beautiful park, huge, green, lakes, paths, kids, etc

Jesus- you'd think I lived there! I'm Not sayin Park Slope is paradise, but everytime I bring the fam there to visit friends, we hate to leave.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:41 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
I actually don't see how you can gather from reading the threads on here that you can't make it on $120K for 3 people, especially if you want to rent somewhere like Bay Ridge. I also have not noticed people on here saying you can't live anywhere in Brooklyn without the threat of being raped or mugged.

Many threads on here are intended to bring people's expectations in line with reality. It's unrealistic to move to Bed-Stuy or Crown Heights and expect an idyllic life. It's unrealistic to want to spend $1200 on rent and think you are going to end up in the hippest most happening most beautiful part of Brooklyn.

However, I don't see you saying anything that indicates you need a reality check. You know how much you'll be making, you know where you're going to work, you're already familiar with neighborhoods and if you only need a place for a couple of years you don't need to consider the school system.

So I'm not sure where you've gotten the idea that someone on your salary is going to end up dealing with rapists and muggers and live a life of misery. I haven't seen that on these threads (with a few exceptions of course!!)

Old 04-24-2008, 08:53 AM

70 posts, read 251,680 times
Ithink if you are smart with your money you can definetely make it work. Maybe you could consider not having a car...(car in the city=big headache) but i guess that would be hard with a kid. Park slope is a great GREAT neighbrohood to raise a child. Seriously I can't think of a better place....he/she will learn so much living there and the schools are not bad! Plus there are a lot of private school (=money), and charter schools. On $120k it is doable for sure. you won't need to spend a lot on entertainment either, you have the park right there and all kinds of free evens the city offers! The food in the area is not that expensive either. You could get Thai food, or go to La villa for a family dinner of gourmet pizza and some wine and not break the bank. I mean maybe if you are eating out at Blue ribbon every night and living in a $3,000/month garden apt than yeah times would be tough. But, plan on spending $2,000 at least for something nice.
BTW, Park Slope is not the only nice neighborhood in NYC. I live in Ridgewood Queens (30 min commute to Union Sq) it is much more affordable and I feel very safe here. it is not as artsy/ upscale as Park Slope (nowhere near actually) but its nice and $1500 will get you a super nice place. Not that I am suggesting Ridgewood because it seems you are looking for somethign a little diferent only trying to show you that there is more than just Park Slope.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:02 AM

11 posts, read 45,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I actually don't see how you can gather from reading the threads on here that you can't make it on $120K for 3 people, especially if you want to rent somewhere like Bay Ridge. I also have not noticed people on here saying you can't live anywhere in Brooklyn without the threat of being raped or mugged.

Many threads on here are intended to bring people's expectations in line with reality. It's unrealistic to move to Bed-Stuy or Crown Heights and expect an idyllic life. It's unrealistic to want to spend $1200 on rent and think you are going to end up in the hippest most happening most beautiful part of Brooklyn.

However, I don't see you saying anything that indicates you need a reality check. You know how much you'll be making, you know where you're going to work, you're already familiar with neighborhoods and if you only need a place for a couple of years you don't need to consider the school system.

So I'm not sure where you've gotten the idea that someone on your salary is going to end up dealing with rapists and muggers and live a life of misery. I haven't seen that on these threads (with a few exceptions of course!!)
In hindsight, the raped and mugged bit was a little overdramatic, and I appreciate you calling me on it. I wouldn't think of bringing my family to Brooklyn if I thought that would be the reality. However, there have been quite a few threads that paint a bleak picture of life in the city for lower and middle income people, as well as those with families. I have learned quite a bit from reading the threads and look forward to your responses when I have some specific questions. Cheers.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:12 AM

502 posts, read 1,008,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfbranco View Post
Listen I live in Brooklyn and always have....I've lived in Gerritsen beach, Bensonhurst....Etc....With that income you'll do fine......And as far as mugged, raped, daughter falling apart....That's nonsense...Although I don't love it here, it's because it's overcrowed and dirty in some areas.....Hard to park in Bay ridge, so if you plan on having a car, I don't recommend it.....

Old 04-24-2008, 09:17 AM

502 posts, read 1,008,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George&Alora View Post
BFBranco- stick to Park Slope. You can get a garden apt (2 bdrm) in a brownstone near Prospect park for your price range. Look for one within 2 blocks of the park.
You guys will love it. Don't go anywhere else in Brooklyn, trust me. You may feel like an outsider in many of those other neighborhoods. Park Slope is a nice mix of native NY'ers and transplants from other places.
Park slope is a nice looking and laid back area- with all the amenities- great restaurants.
Prospect Park is such a beautiful park, huge, green, lakes, paths, kids, etc

Jesus- you'd think I lived there! I'm Not sayin Park Slope is paradise, but everytime I bring the fam there to visit friends, we hate to leave.
Park slope is not all it's cracked up to be.....Most people there are also from out of town....They love the N.Y. hype, and basically live in their own little world there....Calling themselves Ny'ers....But it's not that nice....Try dyker heights. Nice area, nice schools for your daughter, reasonable rent, not far from Brooklyn College.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City