U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-24-2008, 07:33 PM

11,422 posts, read 15,133,454 times
Default what happens when one is sequestered for a jury case?

I completed a juror qualification questionnaire by phone and expect to get a notice for jury duty in the fall. I last served 2 days for selection for a civil and criminal case(I was let off both) in 2002 so it's time again

I've heard of people getting sequestered and have to stay at a hotel. Thought this may or may not happen to me, where do you stay if you're on a bronx case? How long is it for? Do they give you a chance to pack and take along your medicines? Can you have your own room or do you have to share? Just curious. Sounds fun yet a pain at the same time

Another thing, if i do regular jury duty at the courthouse, does the jury meet on Fridays or is it only Mon-Thursday?

My employer has a policy that they give you 3 jury days with pay before it goes into your benefit days like personal and exchange. they also have a policy that if you collect reimbursement from the court, you have to turn over the money to my employer

Part of this may have to do with the employer having the right to deduct the amount you get from the court from your salary. My employer does not deduct for this so since they don't they ask for your reimbursement from the court instead

Any thoughts on this? How does this work? How do they know you got reimbursed. I've never been involved in this before
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 08:14 PM

1,693 posts, read 6,001,713 times
Jury sequestering is very rare and I don't think we should be divulging the locations of the hotels. There is a reason why they would take a jury and hide them away for a few nights.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:29 AM

757 posts, read 2,262,198 times
Someone I knew was sequestered, and she said the hotel was most definitely NOT a dump. Manhattan jury, midtown hotel (they travelled by van).

If your employer pays you for JD, the court will not. I don't know how this works if the employer pays for only a limited number of days and the service exceeds that time. You probably can collect from the State at that point, but it's a pittance.

The trick is to get yourself into a cycle in the Federal system. I don't know how that's done. Fed jurors are better paid, and the rooms where the jurors sit all day while waiting to be sent on voir dire are said to be much more comfortable.

Old 04-26-2008, 01:52 PM

24 posts, read 79,219 times
If you don't want to be on a serious case just say something that would cause the attorneys to think you would be discriminatory towards the defendant during questioning and the defense will veto you. Just don't say something stupid or outrageous that'll **** off the judge or you'll be told to sit in the back of the court room for the duration of the trial. Close relationships to victims of a similar crime usually do the trick for more serious crimes like the kind you're afraid of being sequestered for.

For example, I was on jury duty and really didn't want to get on a case. I was selected for a voir dire on a parental child molestation case so I told them I couldn't be impartial because my best friend was abused by her father (true) and they excused me on the spot and I got to go on my merry way. Another lady, however, said she could not be impartial because she is self-employed and would be losing her income by being there and the judge got really mad and ordered her to sit in the back of the room for the duration of the trial.

Old 04-27-2008, 12:47 AM

757 posts, read 2,262,198 times
Judges usually ask right out if they expect a trial to run longer than a week or so or if they anticipate the need to squester the jury. You can explain your reasons to the judge and the two attorneys, but it is all within the judge's discretion whether your other demands justify excusing you from that panel.

The second to last time I was called for jury duty, I was impaneled. The judge was extremely sensistive to the fact that jury duty did not absolve jurors of obligations to others. Participating on this level was illuminating and fascinating.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:00 AM

11,422 posts, read 15,133,454 times
The second to last time I was called for jury duty, I was impaneled. The judge was extremely sensistive to the fact that jury duty did not absolve jurors of obligations to others. Participating on this level was illuminating and fascinating.

I'm not clear. do you mean that this judge was sympathetic to getting people out of serving due to their personal circumstances? or that the judge would not get people out of serving due to their obligation to do their civil duty? please explain again because i would like to know what i can anticipate. thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City