Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 12:55 AM

757 posts, read 3,362,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilldirrty View Post
Does Manhattan get a lot wind? Because of the tall buildings? *the effect of it during th winter (Never been there in the winter)
Only in winter. The minute temps hit 80, there's no wind whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
Where did Spring go?

Best season hands down though is Fall. You can't beat NYC in the fall.
Well, I think that spring is the best, but you have to be alert! A New York City spring lasts about 4 hours, and sometimes those few hours come and go overnight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 09:01 AM

19 posts, read 69,235 times
Winter is noticeably milder here than in Boston. Massachusetts has a lot more days in the 20s and below than NY, is typically 5 degrees cooler every day during winter, and the higher moisture content in the air up there during winter gives the cold a chill that goes right to your bones. After coming from MA to the NYC area I laugh at people that complain about winter here. You have no idea what real winter is like!

Old 04-27-2008, 06:06 PM

467 posts, read 1,865,762 times
I'm from right outside Boston (Newton) and I moved to Manhattan at the start of 2007. In the past two winters, there hasn't been any significant snowfall at all, nor has it even been an inconvenience. Boston was terrible, digging out the car in the mornings during a snow storm. But there I could go skiing whenever I wanted and here that just never, ever happens. I don't think there's any noticeable difference in temperature, though I think Boston is more humid in the summer. The biggest thing is how you deal with the cold. In Boston, you bundle up, walk to your car and blast the heat until you thaw. Here, you have to walk everywhere and so the cold is tougher for me at least.
Actually, I'm thinking about moving back to New England in 2010, and the only hard part is reliving those winters...

Old 04-28-2008, 07:57 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlez View Post
I think summers in NYC are far worse than places like Phoenix for one simple reason: you HAVE to walk or take take the subway a lot of the time (while the subway cars themselves are ACed, the platforms can get downright steamy!).
Plus all the concrete. NYC is not a summer-friendly place. LOL. NYC is not summer friendly nor is it middle-class friendly.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:29 AM

72 posts, read 262,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
Best season hands down though is Fall. You can't beat NYC in the fall.
Amen to that. Falls in NYC are the BOMB. 60-70 degree sunny days oh my.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:57 AM

803 posts, read 2,969,383 times
Smile A Forgotten Bit o' Info.....

I think everyone forgot to mention the "Official Smell" of New York, during the colder months..... "Garlic"......

The stench of garlic seems to ooze out the pores of just about everyone on the subways, buses or in any confined area, during the winter months.... I don't know even how to explain this phenomenon, since people eat garlic year-round, but I don't notice it nearly as much in the summer. . . but in the winter, Boy HOWDY can you notice it!!!!!!

Old 04-28-2008, 01:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,405 times
I would really like to live in New York. I really like snow and ice, but this weather is not suitable for my health. Besides, I think winters are getting worse year by year.
Greetings.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Viralmd; 04-29-2008 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: No advertising

Old 04-28-2008, 03:52 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by By~Tor View Post
I think everyone forgot to mention the "Official Smell" of New York, during the colder months..... "Garlic"......

The stench of garlic seems to ooze out the pores of just about everyone on the subways, buses or in any confined area, during the winter months.... I don't know even how to explain this phenomenon, since people eat garlic year-round, but I don't notice it nearly as much in the summer. . . but in the winter, Boy HOWDY can you notice it!!!!!!

LMAO. I've noticed this too. I think that in the summer other smells tend to overpower the garlic smell. LOL. If I had to guess the origins of the eau de garlic it would have to be the ever-popular everything bagel. Urgh I've never been a fan of those things. I have a bit of a sensitive stomach, especially in the mornings, so I find it amusing how people stuff their mouth with those things at the crack of dawn with a big cup of coffee no less.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:37 PM

757 posts, read 3,362,152 times
[quote=nomhire;3601283]I would really like to live in New York. I really like snow and ice, but this weather is not suitable for my health. Besides, I think winters are getting worse year by year.
Greetings.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you advertising?

Winters are most definitely not getting worse year by year. I've gone through several recent winters rarely using my winter coat, running around in my lined raincoat. I could never have done that for most of the first 35 winters of my life. And while I'm tempted to say summers have gotten worse, I honestly believe that it's largely because my tolerance is decreasing.

Last edited by Viralmd; 04-29-2008 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: No advertising

Old 05-01-2008, 09:17 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Winters here in new York are long cold & depressing, not brutal like upstate, but horrible nevertheless. They are dreary and grey.
Summers here are awful. The temperatures go up along with the humidity, which is the real killer. You constantly feel icky. Waiting for a subway, forget it, the stations are unbearable. Spring time, its nice during the afternoon, then about 5 pm it gets cool and clamy. I think New York has about 20 days of absolutely nice weather, then the rest is either to hot, to cold, rainy, oh when it rains, it rains for days. Humidity is the worst.
All in all, to me, New York weather really sucks.

I've been to California with temps up to 107 and dry. The dryness makes all the difference in the world. It actually makes the high temps bearable. No sweat, no icky feeling, just total dryness. The eyes burn a little but I will take that over drippy armpits anyday.....

So, I look forward to retirement so I can move to Palm Springs........

now how many days do I have to go.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City