Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 12:45 PM

25,341 posts, read 36,827,738 times

Advertisements

Define Boomers. <No joke, too many people talk nonsense without defining parameters.>

Old 04-11-2020, 01:32 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,114,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda718 View Post
My Generation ( Millenials ) are a bunch of spoiled crybaby idiots who are easily manipulated. I'm terrified of when they are in charge of this country.

I'm a boomer but most of the millennials I know are smart hard-working people. Don't fall for media stereotypes.

Old 04-11-2020, 01:37 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,114,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Interesting question, so I looked it up. The largest population of boomers in NYC (19,450), which is also the largest boomer population of any zip code in the US, lives in Brooklyn zip code 11234 (Bergen Beach, Mills Basin, Flatlands - btw, I don't have any idea where those are).

Among the top 14 boomer zip codes in NYC, 8 are in Brooklyn, 4 in Queens, and 2 in Manhattan.

The ones in Manhattan are the Upper West Side (3rd largest population of boomers both in NYC and in the US), and Lower East Side/Chinatown (14th largest boomer population in NYC, and the 20th largest in the US).

11234 is in southern Brooklyn. Traditionally a safe neighborhood of Italians and Jews and other white ethnics. Some of the northern sections of 11234 abover Flatlands Avenue are not as nice as they were.

11234 map - https://www.unitedstateszipcodes.org/11234/

Old 04-11-2020, 02:28 PM

62 posts, read 36,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
11234 is in southern Brooklyn. Traditionally a safe neighborhood of Italians and Jews and other white ethnics. Some of the northern sections of 11234 abover Flatlands Avenue are not as nice as they were.11234 map - https://www.unitedstateszipcodes.org/11234/
What makes the northern sections above flatlands svenue not as nice as they were

Old 04-11-2020, 03:06 PM

8,174 posts, read 4,256,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Define Boomers. <No joke, too many people talk nonsense without defining parameters.>

Boomers are very precisely defined as people born starting in 1946, and ending in 1964. That is 46 and 64, get it? These brackets are easy to remember, and correspond to the years of large uptick in birth rate and infant survival, compared with previous decades/ centuries/ millenia.

Silent Generation is demographically defined as those having been born between 1925 and 1945 (ie, people who were alive and beyond infancy between the onset of Great Depression and the return of GIs from the WW2). Sorry, I was 3 years off with the oldest age of Silent Generation with my previous post (I tried to make the span of their years of birth exactly equal to Boomers, which are universally and by everyone defined as having been born between '46 and '64). The size of this generation is relatively small because people produced fewer kids between not having any money and being drafted to fight in a war, plus antibiotics and many vaccines were not widely available until the end of WW2, to help infants see their 1st birthday, and a few more early birthdays after that.

The Greatest Generation was born between 1910 and 1924 - they lived in prosperity as kids, in poverty as teenagers, and through WW2 as young people. There are relatively few of them still alive, ie, they are older than 95 now.

There are less than 200 people still alive, in the world, documented to be born before 1910. The real number is estimated to be about 3 times higher, but still well below 1,000. That generation does not have a special name.

While of course every person is an individual, there is a generational Zeitgeist (just as there are generational clothes fashions and generational slang), so each generation tends to have a certain outlook upon the world prevalent in that generation. There are tons of descriptions of these prevalent generational attitudes, for these older generations and younger ones, all over the place, they are not hard to find, and they tend to be grossly accurate (though each individual is of course fine-tuned to his/her own frequency... including those entirely out of tune from the orchestra :-).

Last edited by elnrgby; 04-11-2020 at 03:52 PM..

Old 04-11-2020, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouldCareLess View Post
What makes the northern sections above flatlands svenue not as nice as they were

I don't know any of those areas at all, but in general "not as nice" in NYC tends to mean "less safe". Again, I don't know, but that is what I understood the post meant.

Old 04-12-2020, 08:31 AM

25,341 posts, read 36,827,738 times
Boomers are very precisely defined as people born starting in 1946, and ending in 1964. That is 46 and 64, get it? These brackets are easy to remember

Thanx, elnrgby. Gosh, I'm too old to be even a boomer. "The Silent Generation," I guess...born during the war.

Old 04-12-2020, 09:10 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,327,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
While I'd be also interested why the OP asked, it is not clear why anyone would want to stay away from those zip codes. Boomers are not the elderly, the oldest of them are 73-74 this year, the youngest 55-56, ie, about half of the generation is still referred to as middle-aged (people between 75 and 92 are elderly, but they are the Silent Generation. Bob Dylan and Mick Jagger are actually not Boomers, they are older). Those boomers who still work, particularly the older half of them, largely do so because they are on the top of their trade; those who retired are the most self-dependent generation of seniors in history (and possibly future, the way things are going :-). Where boomers live, it is generally good to live, and their numbers in Brooklyn point to the fact that they were the main carriers of recent prosperity in Brooklyn (rather than the much ridiculed poor hipsters, who are generally blamed for "gentrification", of which they aren't financially capable to start with :-). No worries, to paraphrase The Who, the grandparents are alright :-).
Actually, I was just thinking that the person might be young and want to be around more young people. This might be important for socialization purposes.
Quote:
I'm a boomer but most of the millennials I know are smart hard-working people. Don't fall for media stereotypes.

Most I know are also hard-working people. They are working hard and are heavily underpaid.

Old 04-12-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Boomers are very precisely defined as people born starting in 1946, and ending in 1964. That is 46 and 64, get it? These brackets are easy to remember

Thanx, elnrgby. Gosh, I'm too old to be even a boomer. "The Silent Generation," I guess...born during the war.

I wouldn't have guessed, I thought you were Gen X, born maybe circa 1970, I don't know why :-). Gen X is actually supposed to resemble Silent Generation (both are smaller-sized generations, plus other similarities). Well, I am solidly a boomer, chronologically and otherwise, and almost every description of boomer attitudes, tastes, and values is a description of me :-).

Old 04-12-2020, 01:05 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,501,332 times
Quote:
True! And they are also pragmatic. If any generation can lead us out of the current quagmire, they can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City