Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2020, 09:46 PM

58 posts, read 78,273 times

Advertisements

Thank you so much for the replies so far. This is really helping me out. I have a quick question, what is most people's opinion on East Harlem? I have found some 2 bedrooms around 109th to 116th that seem pretty decent and doing a quick street view on google maps, look pretty good. I also see the 6 and 4 trains can get me straight to work and leave me within walking distance of the stations on both ends of the commute. What's the overall consensus of this area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2020, 05:56 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevst7 View Post
Thank you so much for the replies so far. This is really helping me out. I have a quick question, what is most people's opinion on East Harlem? I have found some 2 bedrooms around 109th to 116th that seem pretty decent and doing a quick street view on google maps, look pretty good. I also see the 6 and 4 trains can get me straight to work and leave me within walking distance of the stations on both ends of the commute. What's the overall consensus of this area?
While East Harlem is experiencing gentrification, street crime is still a problem on some blocks. EH has tons of NYCHA which is for the very poor and isn't going anywhere, so that's a big part of the issue. That area is better the further south (lower number blocks) you go than north (ex: 96th St > 106th St > 116th St etc)

You might do well looking at Bensonhurst, Brighton Beach, Sheepshead Bay and Midwood in Brooklyn. These areas are far past the yuppie belt and are all on trains (B, D, N, Q). These areas are pretty cheap all things considered and are very family friendly (good schools, diverse, lots of immigrants + long time ethnics). Plus it's not as dense so it wouldn't be as jarring an adjustment as Manhattan.

Another area to consider is Fresh Meadows/Utopia Parkway in Queens. Same thing with good schools, express buses (or local buses to E/F trains) and quiet.

NJ Transit is a dumpster fire. Yes, you might save a bit on the taxes and not worry about schools (although JC/Hoboken schools aren't that good), but the commute will suck the life out of you. PATH is beyond crowded and anywhere it runs other than Newark(<-NOT an option when it comes to schools/kids) is going to be uber expensive. If you still want the suburbs, see if you can get something in White Plains or Yonkers. Lots of nice co-ops up there.

Old 04-19-2020, 06:49 AM

2,545 posts, read 2,866,901 times
Quote:
East Harlem would be a hard no for me.

What is your rental budget?

Old 04-19-2020, 09:04 AM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
East Harlem would be a hard no for me.
Agreed.

My in-laws grew-up in Gravesend, Brooklyn. My mother grew-up in Midwood, Brooklyn. Both these neighborhoods were middle class mixed neighborhoods, Now they are heavily Orthodox Jewish community featuring many yeshivas and a shul on almost every block. https://www.jewishpress.com/indepth/...od/2017/03/22/

Beside a subway ride from Gravesend to Manhattan is an hour long.

Brighton Beach is a longer subway ride and it's also known as "Little Odessa" due its tight-knit Russian and Eastern European communities.

IMHO, Marine Park, Sheepshead Bay, Bay Ridge are solid neighborhoods. Todd Hill in Staten Island is nice with decent primary schools. Greenpoint, Brooklyn is nice too. Forest Hills, Maspeth and Bayside - are all in Queens and pretty nice too.

My first choice is Sunnyside, Queens. There is a private park and decent primary schools.

https://www.welcomehomerealestate.biz/

Last edited by YorktownGal; 04-19-2020 at 09:47 AM..

Old 04-19-2020, 10:14 AM

58 posts, read 78,273 times
Using 40x rule, rent budget will be 1500/mth right now and by next year I would be able to do $2500/mth.

Old 04-19-2020, 11:24 AM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times
Quote:
Using 40x rule, rent budget will be 1500/mth right now and by next year I would be able to do $2500/mth.
On zillow, I searched $1,500 per month and two bedrooms. Here are the results:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...80068481_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...80234823_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...30702915_zpid/

From Realtor.com

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...0_M90915-84687

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...1_M91371-85274

Apartment.com didn't have any.

Honestly, I would call realtors in different areas of the city and ask them if a two bed apartment for $1,500 is possible. Brokers usually know about apartments before they are listed on websites.

Ask your family in Yonkers to find an apartment close to them. Yonkers is more reasonable and your family would know the best areas.

If Yonkers doesn't work out, you may want to rethink this job. You living situation in Florida is much nicer than anything you'll find here.

A BIG EDIT/ADDITION For one of my husband's relocations - before we decided to move, he worked two a days a week at home and three days a week by his company. For the first year, you worked in NYC - lived with Yonker's family, your wife and children could move in the second year when your 40X is $2,500. I know it is not ideal, but it could work.

Last edited by YorktownGal; 04-19-2020 at 11:59 AM..

Old 04-19-2020, 01:45 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,238,298 times
For $1500 the only 2 bedrooms you’ll find are basement or walk up.

Old 04-20-2020, 08:53 AM

1,186 posts, read 966,763 times
I'll add my vote for the Port Imperial area of NJ.
I moved out in 2015, but at the time rents were still cheaper in some places than Hoboken and Jersey City. There's been a flurry of development in that area though, so that may not hold true anymore. We were renting a 1bd for $1900, later a 2bd/2ba for around $2600, most of the luxury apartments in the area were $3000-3500 for the same.

Nevertheless it's a really convenient area for commuting because you have the option to take the light rail to PATH (1 stop) into WTC or, if you want to spend a little more, take the ferry which is 15 minutes from Port Imperial to the WTC Ferry. There's also frequent bus service into Port Authority bus terminal via the Lincoln Tunnel. The NYC views are awesome from that area and the riverfront path stretching from Edgewater down to Jersey City is a great amenity.

The downside is that River Road is unbelievably congested and driving anywhere can be a pain, but I guess you can make the same argument for everywhere in the immediate vicinity of Manhattan.

Old 04-21-2020, 11:50 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,478,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Jersey people who work in NY certainly do pay NY STATE income tax, and it is higher than the NJ state income tax. Which says a lot, given the NJ fame for high taxes! We just don't pay CITY tax. (Used to, but they stopped it, maybe around 1990?)

NYS makes tons of money off of Jersey residents who work there.

THe real question is where is the tax money going?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City