U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 08:39 PM

2,175 posts, read 523,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
I have a million dollar house, and my property taxes are $5,000 per year. Is that too much...........? The additional City Income Tax is not that much......
you are trying really hard to recruit for SI lol. are you making commission on this?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 06:13 AM

2,610 posts, read 4,509,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
Did you ever take the Ferry to Wall Street?
When I lived on the south shore, the bus ride to the ferry was about an hour. I didn’t live near the train, but I think I remember it being about forty minutes to the ferry. I tried it a few times.

Either way, it wasn’t fun.

Old 05-13-2020, 10:03 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,562,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I live on SI, grew up on the south shore. Don't move there unless you want a miserable commute. I did it for many years...now I live by the Mall and work on Wall Street..commute still not great over here, you can sit on the SI expressway for an hour before you get OFF of SI.

If you do consider SI, you can definitely get a nice house in Dongan Hills/Grasmere/Old Town/New Dorp, etc...for under $1,000,000...and your commute would be MUCH better. I'm moving back over there soon.
I dont know.. i live in annadale and commute to the BK Bridge, 1 PP area. Express bus gets me there in an hour or less on some days. If you are driving to the city, yeah its a nightmare, but SI has pretty decent public options to downtown.

Some days i take the SIR to ferry and walk, its actually a nice commute and inexpensive.

I think the south shore of SI definitely hits alot of OPs points. Only thing is our HS's arent that great.

Old 05-14-2020, 05:43 PM

383 posts, read 89,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensGuy72 View Post
You won't get a house in a decent neighborhood in any of the 5 boroughs for $1M. Not that the houses are expensive, it's that just about every NYC neighborhood sucks. While the burbs north of the city are nice, I don't know if your budget then works.

You can find both a nice town/area/neighborhood for a decent price with decent schools in both LI and NJ. However there are many, many landmines drilling down to exact areas. You got your work cut out.
Actually you do find beautiful homes in a more than decent neighborhood, in the East Bronx, Pelham Gardens and Morris Park specifically, very quiet, very suburban (especially Pelham Gardens), the lowest crime you can find (lower than any place in the City or Brooklyn), from new houses to historic Tudor style houses. The 5 train is close and takes you directly to Lower Manhattan (from there in approximately an hour). Pelham Bay is also very safe, in that price range, and accessible by the 6 train.

Even in upscale Riverdale you can find beautiful ready-to-move-in houses in that price range.

Old 05-14-2020, 06:40 PM

1,584 posts, read 761,414 times
Default sasie123

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
you are trying really hard to recruit for SI lol. are you making commission on this?
It is not that I am trying to recruit people for Staten Island, I do not have to, it speaks for itself, is that I am sick and tired of people from New Jersey always trying to make it sound like it is paradise, while coming to New York City, and taking lots of jobs, from New Yorkers, then making NYC look like it is the end of the world, if one lives here rather than NJ.

Old 05-14-2020, 06:48 PM

1,584 posts, read 761,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
When I lived on the south shore, the bus ride to the ferry was about an hour. I didn’t live near the train, but I think I remember it being about forty minutes to the ferry. I tried it a few times.

Either way, it wasn’t fun.
The ride to the Ferry is about 20 minutes, but if you use your car, it may take longer, because lots of people use their cars.

Old 05-16-2020, 07:07 AM

64,684 posts, read 61,009,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Suggest Middletown, NJ and surrounding townships. A fast ferry from Atlantic Highlands takes 45 minutes to the financial district. Newer homes on larger lots, pretty good schools and proximity to the beaches makes this area very desirable.
Just be aware that the fast ferry will cost you almost $700 a month. There is also train service for around $400 a month. You have to switch to the PATH train at Newark to get to the WTC. It will also take you more than an hour.

It's a good area, though, as the person above points out. That county is known for it's great park system, and then yes, the beaches.

Re Ridgewood, mentioned above. Good area, known for its schools, but commute to WTC is about an hour and 20.

In general, from NJ, under an hour is doable, but really limits you. If you embrace reality and look at commutes of an hour fifteen or twenty, you'll have more choices. Remember that several hundred thousand people in NJ are trying to cross the same river at the same time you are, and there are finite ways to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or