U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2020, 03:51 PM

85,773 posts, read 83,257,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
A lot of these areas you are mentioning are really not "second home" locations. People commute from them daily, meaning full time residents with full time costs reflected in your tax bills.

I got married in Livingston Manor. I go fishing there a few times every year with my father by the covered bridge. It's very small, but much more to your goals in my opinion. It's recently become a very artsy town with transplants tired of Brooklyn and such. Some good restaurant choices now, but still not on Walmart's radar.

Stay away from the river, it has flooded with disastrous results over the years.
Our area had the opposite problem ...lake wallenpaupack is the boating Mecca of the poconos .....it collects school taxes from homeowners only many are part timers ...the school district was one of the best since it had soooooo much money yet most tax payers did not use the schools.

Monroe county turned to crap ...that is the county that was targeted in our newspapers in the why rent when you can buy campaigns.

They made it sound like it was an easy commute to do daily ....well that came to an end as people found commuting 4 -5 hours a day was an awful life .

They saw foreclosures soar as those who bought in to this life found they were mislead .

I would never buy in monroe or around route 80 ever ........

In my opinion nothing under Rt 84 should Be considered
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2020, 06:16 PM

874 posts, read 284,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

"Our area had the opposite problem ...lake wallenpaupack is the boating Mecca of the poconos
.....it collects school taxes from homeowners only many are part timers ...the school district
was one of the best since it had soooooo much money yet most tax payers did not use the schools.

Monroe county turned to crap ...that is the county that was targeted in our newspapers in the
why rent when you can buy campaigns.

They made it sound like it was an easy commute to do daily ....well that came to an end as
people found commuting 4 -5 hours a day was an awful life .

They saw foreclosures soar as those who bought in to this life found they were mislead .

I would never buy in monroe or around route 80 ever ........

In my opinion nothing under Rt 84 should Be considered"

- monroe
- commuting 4 -5 hours a day

my Uncle Sal did it 2x a day - 5 days a week.

Old 05-19-2020, 06:22 PM

6,545 posts, read 4,558,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MH718 View Post
I am currently looking to purchase weekend/vacation house, outside the city, but not too far from Brooklyn.

This is not inspired by COVID - my fiancee and I have been talking about getting a weekend house for a few years, but for practical reasons, decided to look for a co-op here in Brooklyn. We looked for over a year, and found nothing we liked. In fact, we were still looking when COVID struck, and I was looking forward to some fresh listings hitting the market, because I was getting so frustrated with our search up until that point.

There is literally nothing available now in Brooklyn, so we have decided to shift our plans, primarily because getting a weekend place would be both more affordable, and a better investment in our mental well-being. The past few months working from home in a tiny one-bedroom has really changed our mindset on the matter.

We are considering the following places:
Areas of Orange County, NY (around 1.5 hours from where we live now)
Poconos, PA - not sure if the driving time is too far, but these seem the most affordable
Northern NJ - Highland Lake area or other lake/rural areas (right near the NY border)
Connecticut - not sure where, since this is the area we know the least about

Our main criteria is a commute from here that will not exceed about 2 hours. Because of COVID, I think it's hard to estimate normal traffic/commute times at the moment.

Does anyone have any experience with these areas, or experience with dealing with a weekend/vacation home, in general?

Thank you!
Almost all of the vacation homes I personally manage for clients is owned by New Yorkers. The idea is rent it all year and fly down maybe twice with the family. Several of the ocean front or ocean view homes (5Beds 5baths with an elevator and pool) can fetch over 12k per week in the summers here and stay booked a year in advance. How's the STR market up in NY and surrounding areas? Similar or inflated?

Old 05-19-2020, 06:39 PM

65,486 posts, read 91,284,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I am going to say - OP go for it! Lots of people have second homes north of Hudson, NY. It is a lovely area. You can take the train to Hudson and get a taxi to your home https://www.amtrak.com/stations/hud

People drive up but there can be traffic.

There are lots of New Yorkers and particularly people from Brooklyn around Hudson. I'm sure you can google and find lots of articles about their experiences. Kinderhook is just about the prettiest town ever.

You can rent for a year before making a decision, too.
Chatham is another community in that area that is popular for this purpose.

I believe that Owego became popular after 9/11 with some NYC folks as well.

Old 05-20-2020, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruSue View Post
- monroe
- commuting 4 -5 hours a day

my Uncle Sal did it 2x a day - 5 days a week.
not something most end up doing , and didn't .... they walked away from those homes that were underwater because the poconos values fell over time .

our development still has homes for sale that were on the market when we left in 2012 ..

at one time the poconos were so popular but over time it just went the way of the catskills ....

Old 05-20-2020, 06:16 AM

5,922 posts, read 5,991,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MH718 View Post
Is anyone familiar with Livingston Manor and Parksville - just about 2 hours, maybe a little more, but I saw a few very nice and affordable places there (online).

We are also thinking about Carmel, Hopewell Junction, Putnam Valley area, if anyone has any feedback or experience with those.

Also, Highland Lakes, NJ, seems like there are a number of cute, affordable properties, but I'm wondering why they are so much cheaper than surrounding areas.

Thanks again for the input, it has really been incredibly helpful.
LM is okay. There are a few stores downtown. But there are a ton of properties that have or had been for sale FOREVER. Keep your eye on things like that in the areas you are looking. Again, I don't know how much you want to be able to have access to things. There is at least a supermarket in town there, a gas station and a few restaurants/stores and maybe a 15 minute drive away there is a Walmart in Monticello.

Parksville. Man I still remember Fiddles and the diners alongside route 17. They rebuilt route 17 a few hundred feet away and elevated. All of those places along the older route are now gone. Sad to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
A lot of these areas you are mentioning are really not "second home" locations. People commute from them daily, meaning full time residents with full time costs reflected in your tax bills.

I got married in Livingston Manor. I go fishing there a few times every year with my father by the covered bridge. It's very small, but much more to your goals in my opinion. It's recently become a very artsy town with transplants tired of Brooklyn and such. Some good restaurant choices now, but still not on Walmart's radar.

Stay away from the river, it has flooded with disastrous results over the years.
Yes, the river floods very easily. Just a few weeks ago the water level was extremely high.

The entire area itself kind of ebbs and flows.

Old 05-20-2020, 07:03 AM

691 posts, read 2,061,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Chatham is another community in that area that is popular for this purpose.

I believe that Owego became popular after 9/11 with some NYC folks as well.
..Was that a bit of a miscue?..Owego instead of Otsego..or Oswego?

Old 05-20-2020, 07:14 AM

65,486 posts, read 91,284,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tioga View Post
..Was that a bit of a miscue?..Owego instead of Otsego..or Oswego?
I thought it was Owego as well, but I could be wrong or misunderstood.

I don’t think Oswego saw much migration to the area, but I can see Otsego County getting some folks from the city. A co-worker of mine from the Hancock area has said that people from NYC/Downstate have been coming up for as long as he could remember.

Old 05-20-2020, 08:18 AM

173 posts, read 51,535 times
Suggest Connecticut sound shore. Metro North / Amtrak access, ocean access, good food options, fresh air. Prefer ocean over mountain for vacation homes.

Old 05-20-2020, 08:26 AM

it really depends on budget for a house and taxes they want to spend ..... desirable areas that are within 2 hours get costly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City