Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2020, 10:17 PM

14 posts, read 19,244 times

Advertisements

I’m moving from LA as I’d be working on the Wall Street.

Im not really familiar with NYC area, and i’m looking to buy a house in a town with the following criteria:

-Any state except NJ

-Metronorth, i’d settle for somewhere in Nassau LI already if it wasn’t for LIRR, LIRR is out of question, and Penn Station is an abomination. Metronorth and Grand Central all the way.

-quiet, traffic free

-friendly, down to earth, middle class suburb with a strong community.
i’m not really into the preppy neighborhoods if you get what i mean. It’s not the question of budget I just like a normal nice neighborhood. I don’t really need any entertainment within that town, just a decent high school.
In fact i really like that small sleepy suburban community LI offers but then again LIRR (I grew up in CT. Everyone knows everyone and i kind of miss that feel). After all I could always travel downtown if i ever need some fun.

-great place to retire/raise kids.

-not the forest suburban type, more like the Levittown suburban type with a lot of cul de sacs, grids are hideous.

-1 hour or less (ideally 30 mins) including the travel from the station to wall street.

Also, does anyone have a suggestion for the best, hassle-free transportation option to downtown Manhattan? Is driving really that awful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2020, 10:30 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,688,546 times
Do some more research and come back with more realistic criteria. Any state except NJ? So that leaves by default New York, unless you want the headache of commuting from CT, which is certainly not happening in 30 minutes. In fact none of your criteria allows for less than an hour commute. Zippo. I think the Levittown that you are thinking of is Levittown 1960.

Old 05-29-2020, 10:38 PM

Also, i forgot to mention, diverse community is a plus

Old 05-29-2020, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Do some more research and come back with more realistic criteria. Any state except NJ? So that leaves by default New York, unless you want the headache of commuting from CT, which is certainly not happening in 30 minutes. In fact none of your criteria allows for less than an hour commute. Zippo. I think the Levittown that you are thinking of is Levittown 1960.
I mean, i did do some research and some of my friends commute everyday from westport CT in about an hour. And you’re not being too helpful, honestly.

Old 05-29-2020, 11:00 PM

3,730 posts, read 3,460,040 times
You want green leafy quiet neighborhood with great high schools within a 30 minute commute that is not NJ?

It's unrealistic buddy. That's what the previous poster is telling you.

Now if you up your commute to 1 hour to 1.5 hours your options open up drastically. Many small towns and villages in Westchester county come to mind. If budget is not an issue places like Scarsdale, Bronxville, Mamaroneck come to mind. They meet most all of what you are looking for. Great schools with high scores as well.

Old 05-29-2020, 11:17 PM

14,044 posts, read 13,914,424 times
Greenwich, Darien, Westport in CT

Harrison, Scarsdale, Bronxville, Rye Westchester County NY

Old 05-30-2020, 12:20 AM

565 posts, read 361,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wangcincay View Post
Also, i forgot to mention, diverse community is a plus
So not too many white people but just enough white people to make it safe with decent schools. I get it.

It doesn't exist.

Old 05-30-2020, 12:49 AM

Then what about Dobbs Ferry, Hasting, and Ardsley? From what i’ve gathered they fulfil most of my criterias, or am i missing something?

By the way 30 minutes is ideal commute time, but an hour is also fine. I’m sure i wrote that somewhere.

Last edited by Wangcincay; 05-30-2020 at 01:11 AM..

Old 05-30-2020, 04:15 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,942,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wangcincay View Post
I mean, i did do some research and some of my friends commute everyday from westport CT in about an hour. And you’re not being too helpful, honestly.
Westport is almost 2 hours each way to Wall Street. One hour is train only, to midtown.

Old 05-30-2020, 05:40 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,878,381 times
Moving to NYC to work on Wallstreet during or directly after a global Pandemic... Great timing

I hope you're being paid $250k+ bare minimum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City