U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-27-2008, 07:35 PM

4 posts, read 9,961 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I am hoping to get some response from Teachers who is in the fellowship program. Yesterday, I had my interview and I felt that it went okay. The reason why I'm here is that I'm a bit nervous and anxious about my results. I know it takes 2-4 weeks to get an answer but I would like to hear from you.

In my honest opinion, I would probably grade myself 7.5 out of 10. I feel that my teaching sample was at least a 9 but I said 8.5 to the interviewer. I got my objective across, the students (other candidates) felt that I had one of the best sample in the class. The group discussion I did pretty well on. I wasn't the dominator in my group but someone else was nor was I the shy one. My writing sample completely bombed. 20 minutes was not enough time for me to write something good because it takes me a while to gather my thoughts. The interview was okay, I thought there was a lot of repetitive questions.

Self grading:
Teaching Sample - 9
Discussion - 8
Writing Sample - 4
Interview - 7

Did any of you did poorly in one aspect of the interview and still got in?

Did you feel confident that you will be accepted?

Did you feel odd about your selectors?

<sigh> 6 years of having these thoughts of becoming a teacher and all of a sudden it just passed by with a blink of an eye. I should be positive and be confident and usually I can tell what the interviewer is thinking. This one was a true robot and she really hid any emotions.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 05:04 AM

11,151 posts, read 9,626,052 times
I flew in from Oregon for my interview a couple of years ago and, yeah, the actual meeting just zipped by. I don't remember what I did for the writing sample (), but I felt pretty confident about my teaching sample, as I did a quick, self-contained mini-lesson with handouts, etc.

I do think that they train their interviewers to be stone-faced, so that applicants don't have a clue about their performance.

The best advice I can give you is to just breathe deeply, relax, and let it go. There's nothing you can do at this point to affect the outcome, and if you stress about it, all you'll get is ..... well ..... stressed.

Best of luck to you!

Old 04-28-2008, 06:17 AM

Thank you for the response squeezeboxgal. Did you get in? Did you messed up on one part of the interview and still get in?

You're right, I'm a bit stressed out by it because I feel that I really deserve this position and I did more than enough. For some reason, there is that small evil conscious that is saying, you just missed it.

I thought the writing sample was a bit unfair. They asked us to write a letter to the parents about your strategic plan to get the students to grade level by the end of the year and explaining the unfairness of your teaching. In 20 minutes, they want a full letter. Unless I write everyday, I wouldn't be able to pull that off.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyH View Post
Thank you for the response squeezeboxgal. Did you get in? Did you messed up on one part of the interview and still get in?
I did get in and will be finishing my teaching commitment this June. (yay)

Quote:
You're right, I'm a bit stressed out by it because I feel that I really deserve this position and I did more than enough. For some reason, there is that small evil conscious that is saying, you just missed it.
It really seems that there's no rhyme or reason to the Fellows' acceptance policy. Some people who seem eminently suitable are turned away (and there's NEVER an explanation as to why), while some people who should obviously never set foot inside a classroom are greeted with open arms. Sometimes all you can do is scratch your head in befuddlement.

I believe that a lot depends on what an applicant says he/she is willing to teach. Those that choose really high-need subjects (math/science/special ed) are much more desirable than those who want to teach, for example, only high school social studies.

Quote:
I thought the writing sample was a bit unfair. They asked us to write a letter to the parents about your strategic plan to get the students to grade level by the end of the year and explaining the unfairness of your teaching. In 20 minutes, they want a full letter. Unless I write everyday, I wouldn't be able to pull that off.
Alas, this is only the beginning of a series of ridiculously non-sensical assignments. All I can say is, "Get used to it." (LOL)

Old 05-14-2008, 06:46 PM

Thank you for everything Squeezeboxgal. Today I got an email saying that I was not accepted. I am sad about this because I felt that I had done everything right except for the writing part. Oh well. Thank you again. I may want to reapply but now I truly believe that the school system is as bureaucratic as I thought it was and possibly worst.

BTW, I wish you the best of luck.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Thank you for everything Squeezeboxgal. Today I got an email saying that I was not accepted. I am sad about this because I felt that I had done everything right except for the writing part. Oh well. Thank you again. I may want to reapply but now I truly believe that the school system is as bureaucratic as I thought it was and possibly worst.

BTW, I wish you the best of luck.
Jeffrey --

I'm sorry that you weren't accepted. Please try not to take it personally -- as I mentioned before, there's really no rhyme or reason to many of the Fellows' decisions.

If you're still interested in becoming a teacher, there are other options. There are programs, such as Teach for America, that offer similar opportunities (although THEY turned ME down! LOL), but it's often possible to get hired under a restricted license and then take the necessary classwork while you're teaching.

What state do you live in? If you're here in NYC, I'd suggest contacting the DOE to see if there are any such opportunities. If you're elsewhere, contact whatever district(s) are the most likely to be hurting for teachers, and see what they say.

I taught Special Education on the Navajo Reservation in New Mexico for a year under a restricted license, because they're so desperate for teachers that, typically, if you have a college degree and a pulse, they'll hire you. I also taught a VERY difficult group of Special Ed kids in Oregon under a similar license.

It CAN be done.

Feel free to PM me if you want more info on these kind of jobs.

K
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City