Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2020, 10:52 PM
PVW

287 posts, read 164,616 times

Advertisements

Security cameras indicated he was followed into the building by a guy wearing a mask who then grappled with him.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/15/n...gtype=Homepage

The killer, dressed entirely in black and wearing a black mask, followed the young technology entrepreneur from the elevator of his luxury condo building into his apartment.

Then he used an electrical stun gun to immobilize the entrepreneur, Fahim Saleh, detectives believe.

Some time after, the assailant killed Mr. Saleh, decapitated him and dismembered his body with an electric saw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2020, 12:42 AM

5,450 posts, read 2,713,731 times

New Condo on E. Houston where the murder took place

Old 07-16-2020, 12:59 AM

In high school, he wrote, he had “started a social network for teens, teenhangout.com, and a website that offered free AIM (AOL Instant Messenger) buddy icons, or avatars.” Soon, they were bringing in $200,000 a year but then competition made that dwindle, he wrote.

After college, Fahim Saleh taught himself how to program and started KickBack Apps, garnering over twenty-million downloads. Seeing an opportunity in his parent’s native country of Bangladesh, he went on to co-found the largest ride-sharing company in the country valued at over $100 million – Pathao. Fahim is also an active investor in emerging markets, investing first in Colombia’s largest motorcycle ridesharing company – Picap, recently valued at $15 million.

He had always loved pranks growing up, and so that hatched an idea. “And even as I grew up, my passion for a well-executed prank remained. Figuring I might want it for a potential future project, I nabbed the domain PrankDial.com around the same time that I was creating teenhangout.com and other sites,” he wrote.

Saleh created the prank site, and it took off. “I recorded a few prank call MP3s in varying voices, uploaded them, and created a system that let a user pick the prank call scenario they wanted, then call a friend with it by entering their friend’s phone number. From there, I simply spread the word across a few websites, and watched it gain traction,” he wrote, claiming that the venture brought in $10 million over time. An app was created for it.

“That’s created the opportunity for me to pursue other ventures, like founding the venture firm Adventure Capital, which invests in startups in the developing world,” he said of the prank site’s success.

Saleh was sued by a former New Jersey jail deputy director, Kirk Eady, who alleged he was misled that Saleh’s prank site was legal, Daily News reported, noting that the site allowed a person to listen into a conversation between two other people. Eady received 21 months in prison after being accused of illegally wiretapping two subordinates.

The New York Post reported that the killer appeared to pretend to choose another elevator floor. Instead, he followed Saleh into his own apartment (the elevator opened directly into it.)

Saleh was founding manager of HackHouse, a “tech incubator/venture factory focused in Bangladesh” and was CEO of TapFury, developing “the finest prank calling app ever – PrankDial.” He was vice president of WizTeen, a “network of websites targeted towards teenagers.” His bachelor’s degree was in CIS from Bentley University.

He was a member of YEC for two years, and was a founder and investor for Pathao, in Bangladesh. He described that as “the most well-funded startup in Bangladesh, recently valued at over $100 million.” He said it was “attacking multiple verticals including transportation, food, delivery, and payments.”

https://heavy.com/news/2020/07/fahim-saleh/

Heavy.com
Fahim Saleh: Tech Millionaire Found Dismembered Near Saw in New York Murder

Old 07-16-2020, 03:38 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,828,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
In high school, he wrote, he had “started a social network for teens, teenhangout.com, and a website that offered free AIM (AOL Instant Messenger) buddy icons, or avatars.” Soon, they were bringing in $200,000 a year but then competition made that dwindle, he wrote.

After college, Fahim Saleh taught himself how to program and started KickBack Apps, garnering over twenty-million downloads. Seeing an opportunity in his parent’s native country of Bangladesh, he went on to co-found the largest ride-sharing company in the country valued at over $100 million – Pathao. Fahim is also an active investor in emerging markets, investing first in Colombia’s largest motorcycle ridesharing company – Picap, recently valued at $15 million.

He had always loved pranks growing up, and so that hatched an idea. “And even as I grew up, my passion for a well-executed prank remained. Figuring I might want it for a potential future project, I nabbed the domain PrankDial.com around the same time that I was creating teenhangout.com and other sites,” he wrote.

Saleh created the prank site, and it took off. “I recorded a few prank call MP3s in varying voices, uploaded them, and created a system that let a user pick the prank call scenario they wanted, then call a friend with it by entering their friend’s phone number. From there, I simply spread the word across a few websites, and watched it gain traction,” he wrote, claiming that the venture brought in $10 million over time. An app was created for it.

“That’s created the opportunity for me to pursue other ventures, like founding the venture firm Adventure Capital, which invests in startups in the developing world,” he said of the prank site’s success.

Saleh was sued by a former New Jersey jail deputy director, Kirk Eady, who alleged he was misled that Saleh’s prank site was legal, Daily News reported, noting that the site allowed a person to listen into a conversation between two other people. Eady received 21 months in prison after being accused of illegally wiretapping two subordinates.

The New York Post reported that the killer appeared to pretend to choose another elevator floor. Instead, he followed Saleh into his own apartment (the elevator opened directly into it.)

Saleh was founding manager of HackHouse, a “tech incubator/venture factory focused in Bangladesh” and was CEO of TapFury, developing “the finest prank calling app ever – PrankDial.” He was vice president of WizTeen, a “network of websites targeted towards teenagers.” His bachelor’s degree was in CIS from Bentley University.

He was a member of YEC for two years, and was a founder and investor for Pathao, in Bangladesh. He described that as “the most well-funded startup in Bangladesh, recently valued at over $100 million.” He said it was “attacking multiple verticals including transportation, food, delivery, and payments.”

https://heavy.com/news/2020/07/fahim-saleh/

Heavy.com
Fahim Saleh: Tech Millionaire Found Dismembered Near Saw in New York Murder
Response: Excellent Research.
Just an opinion: This young adult knew how to make money QUICKLY. He was rolling in the dough. He colored his hair green! Ironic!
Imagine a realtor working his whole life selling 4 or 5 homes a year only to be upstaged by a bright young mind that
with the aid of the internet selling 30 or 40 homes a month? eventually putting the old guy out of work. Now put this on a larger
scale putting other companies out of business..............This is called rocking the boat.

My suspicions lean towards a young and brilliantly gifted mind that tapped into a market that would make him as powerful or more
powerful in terms of money as those who have influence over the global market and these elite were not having any part of being upstaged........
When you are only a team of one, it is best to joint the club and work your way up.

God Lets us do everything on our own but all fail miserably. We are nothing without God in our lives. The ever present evil is only proof.

Last edited by Mr.Retired; 07-16-2020 at 03:46 AM..

Old 07-16-2020, 04:22 AM

5,662 posts, read 2,600,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psalm42 View Post
When it said this was done by a professional, Leon the Professional comes to mind.

Wonder if the killer was planning to put the remains in acid like what Walt and Jessie did in Breaking Bad.

Gruesome stuff.
I will never get those scenes out of my head

Old 07-16-2020, 06:14 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,613,829 times
Kinda interesting, happened 3 blocks north of me.

Old 07-16-2020, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Kinda interesting, happened 3 blocks north of me.
what is the vibe like in that neighborhood post COVID?

Old 07-16-2020, 06:47 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqXvwN2o4w8&t=954s

Startups Ep 9: Convenient dining and riding with Kaptain Foods, Gokada
2,219 views•Apr 3, 2019

Following his death, Saleh’s former Co-Founder at Gokada, Deji Oduntan, tweeted, “I am utterly shocked and deeply saddened by the news of Fahim’s death.

https://techpoint.africa/2019/03/29/...-deji-oduntan/

techpoint africa

Gokada CEO, Deji Oduntan steps aside in apparent shake-up
VICTOR EKWEALORMARCH 29, 2019

News reaching Techpoint suggests Deji Oduntan, CEO of Lagos-based motorcycle on-demand startup, Gokada stepped down and away from the company 3 weeks ago.

Launched in January 2018 as one of the 2 motorcycle on-demand companies looking to solve the traffic problem of the Lagos commute, Gokada has grown a large following and customer base to rival MAX; its 1 year older competitor.

Multiple sources corroborated this story and said things are still being kept under wraps at the company.

Techpoint could not confirm from Deji or management of Gokada what led to the move as calls, emails and all forms of communication to the former CEO and management of the Gokada went unanswered.

Unconfirmed reports however say there was bad blood and allegations of mismanagement that had adversely affected the company.

According to an anonymous source;

“Things have not exactly been kosher internally at Gokada for a long time now, I cannot go into details to reveal everything that has gone down, but I can confirm that Deji is no longer around here,” the source said

The news has become something of an open secret as some Gokada drivers on the road are aware of the development. One of the drivers said they all knew, but refused to give the source of the news.

“Deji is no longer CEO, he left and everyone knows this,” he said.

This appears to be a continuation of an apparent shake-up that started in August 2018 when staff and software developers exited the company enmasse.

At the time, one of the former staff members told Techpoint that internal conflict about directions the company was taking had made people leave.

“We did not like the way things were going without any direction. There is no clear path to anything and management is stifling us,” the staff had told Techpoint in a phone conversation in August last year.

Contrary to what the staff members said, another said they did not quit voluntarily, but were let go.

A player in the Nigerian startup ecosystem that would rather not be named confirmed that the exit is indeed an open secret,

“If I am not mistaken, it’s been up to a month or 3 weeks that he and one or two other people left the company.”

They added that for Gokada, this move and others like it are for the best.

“I believe they are doing due diligence and realigning with their goals and primary motives. They will eventually wade through this storm and come out alright,” they concluded.

https://techpoint.africa/2019/04/01/...o-fahim-saleh/

Gokada co-founder, Fahim Saleh takes over as new CEO

VICTOR EKWEALOR APRIL 1, 2019

A statement from the company said former CEO Deji Oduntan had resigned on the 5th of March 2019. It said Gokada’s co-founder, co-CEO and lead investor, Fahim Saleh, will take over with immediate effect.

Fahim told Techpoint he will be moving fully to Nigeria to fully function in the new position.

“Even through last year, I spent about 50% of my time in Nigeria,” he said.

On the layoffs last year, allegations of mismanagement and misconduct at Gokada, Fahim said the whole story was not quite true.

“In August 2018, there was a very big pivot of the business which included layoffs of 70% of the staff, change in business model, and change in the app. This caused many ex-employees to grow frustrated and produce false stories about Gokada. While they were distracting, we just continued to execute.”

__________________________________________________ ______________

just skimmed the first page so far :

20 page forum discussion of the murder, Nigerian website Nairaland

https://www.nairaland.com/search?q=gokada&board=0

comment:

Crime / Re: Fahim Saleh's Body Evacuated From His Home In New York (video) by Jupiter7: 12:30am On Jul 16
The number one person to interrogate is his close business partner and friend Deji (owner of gokada). Fahim may have told him of his business dealings and loans he took from ruthless mafias.

Old 07-16-2020, 06:57 PM

https://dnyuz.com/2020/07/16/family-...d-evil-killer/

In addition to Gokada, Saleh had a venture capital firm, Adventure Capital. Among his investments: a Bogota ride-sharing company that had a crisis earlier this year when the Colombian government banned it from the road, reportedly in exchange for a promise by a taxi industry group not to join demonstrations against President Iván Duque Márquez.

—Daly reported from New York and Obaji from Nigeria

Old 07-16-2020, 06:58 PM

960 posts, read 2,501,557 times
Maybe he died of....natural causes..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City