Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 11:58 AM

16 posts, read 41,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny CT View Post
There is a lot of great stuff to see in the outer boroughs.

If you like to eat there are many great, inexpensive restaurants underneath the 7 train in Queens on Roosevelt Avenue.
Prospect Park in Brooklyn is very beautiful. The Brooklyn Museum is there as well and the Transit Museum is not far away.
Yes, there is a lot to see in the outer boroughs, and Prospect Park (designed by the designers of Central Park) is one of the most beautiful parks in the world. The Brooklyn Museum is one of the foremost museums in the world and the Transit Museum is a well known specialty museum... Under the elevated trains on Roosevelt Avenue (around Jackson Heights) is not so interesting (and it's dark, and dirty, and noisy) but a few blocks away can be found the remnants of a very lovely historic area including one of the very first cooperative apartment houses in NYC. Just walk north along 82cnd St. until you come to 34th Ave.

Take my advice though -- as a born and bred New York City boy who spent over sixty years living on the upper east side of Manhattan until moving to Colorado in 2001 -- DON'T GO TO ANY OF THOSE PLACES UNLESS YOU ARE PART OF A LARGE GROUP!

My friend, Louis, was mugged at knifepoint in Queens one day and, after giving the mugger everything of value except his wedding ring, asked if he could please keep it since his wife had died several years before and it held great sentimental value for him. "Senor," said the mugger, pressing the knifeblade against lou's finger,
"the ring or the finger!."

Why not one of the New England states? Vermont is very nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 12:02 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ercillor View Post
Yes, there is a lot to see in the outer boroughs, and Prospect Park (designed by the designers of Central Park) is one of the most beautiful parks in the world. The Brooklyn Museum is one of the foremost museums in the world and the Transit Museum is a well known specialty museum... Under the elevated trains on Roosevelt Avenue (around Jackson Heights) is not so interesting (and it's dark, and dirty, and noisy) but a few blocks away can be found the remnants of a very lovely historic area including one of the very first cooperative apartment houses in NYC. Just walk north along 82cnd St. until you come to 34th Ave.

Take my advice though -- as a born and bred New York City boy who spent over sixty years living on the upper east side of Manhattan until moving to Colorado in 2001 -- DON'T GO TO ANY OF THOSE PLACES UNLESS YOU ARE PART OF A LARGE GROUP!

My friend, Louis, was mugged at knifepoint in Queens one day and, after giving the mugger everything of value except his wedding ring, asked if he could please keep it since his wife had died several years before and it held great sentimental value for him. "Senor," said the mugger, pressing the knifeblade against lou's finger,
"the ring or the finger!."

Why not one of the New England states? Vermont is very nice.
There are many places in the other boroughs where you can venture safely alone. Yes, even by the El of the 7 train in Queens, where there are some really wonderful restaurants featuring Colombian and Asian cuisines. And it's quite inexpensive, too. You can get held up and assaulted ANYWHERE. Even in Colorado.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:35 PM

16 posts, read 41,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
You can get held up and assaulted ANYWHERE. Even in Colorado.
Yes you can. It could even happen in the Vatican I suppose... But it's far more likely to occur in New York City.

Please give the poor tourists a break. Tell them what dangers await. The subways; racially explosive neighborhoods where they do not belong; Run-down areas which harbor gangs and the drug trade. PLACES WHERE THEY SHOULD NOT GO ALONE (OR AT ALL)!

Old 03-19-2009, 12:41 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
Quote:
Yes you can. It could even happen in the Vatican I suppose... But it's far more likely to occur in New York City.

Please give the poor tourists a break. Tell them what dangers await. The subways; racially explosive neighborhoods where they do not belong; Run-down areas which harbor gangs and the drug trade. PLACES WHERE THEY SHOULD NOT GO ALONE (OR AT ALL)!
I don't know the last time you were in NYC, but I think you're being overly alarmist. We'll just have to disagree. I still live here and I would have no misgivings, as a female, going to most of these areas.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:45 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
Did he say "racially explosive neighborhoods where they do not belong"??? Run down areas that harbor gangs and drugs? Hmm...are we talking about L.A.? I think this poster is being extremely alarmist and going on sterotypes of NYC, and I suspect this poster has never BEEN to NYC (at least not in the last 30 years). Ercillor please stop getting your "information" about NYC from West Side Story , and we promise to stop getting our information about Colorado from COPS: Live from Boulder. Deal?

Old 03-19-2009, 04:59 PM

674 posts, read 1,813,668 times
Quote:

What is this 1977. Granted all thos things exist to a degree your making it sound like were in the 70s.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:24 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
Quote:
.......Yes you can. It could even happen in the Vatican I suppose... But it's far more likely to occur in New York City.!
Wrong! The statistics show that it is less likely to happen in NY than in any major city in the US and probably the Vatican too.The one time in my life that I actually got mugged was in Rome right outside the entrance to the Vatican.

P.S. No offense but I don't believe your " Senor,your money or your finger story" story either .

Old 03-19-2009, 05:28 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
It fascinates me to read about people who categorize one neighborhood or another as "dangerous," then use that as an excuse not to go there. Stop and think about it: something horrible could just as easily happen to you on Park Avenue in the 70s. But, of course, this is an extremely wealthy part of town and so you don't have to avoid it.

If you don't feel safe, then wherever you are is dangerous. There are people who won't set foot anywhere in New York City, because they view the entire city that way.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:30 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
If you don't feel safe, then wherever you are is dangerous. There are people who won't set foot anywhere in New York City, because they view the entire city that way.
I guess you must be acquainted with some Long Islanders. Many are too terrified to go into the greatest city in the world right on their doorstep.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:20 PM

922 posts, read 3,861,036 times
The severed finger with the wedding ring??

Wasn't that an old urban legend that NY'ers used to tell tourists back in the day when scaring tourists was considered good fun?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City