Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2020, 01:20 PM

36,918 posts, read 38,864,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Dinero View Post
You think so? Look at LIC, high rises right next to each other yet did it affect prices at all?
Maybe, at least in the short term I'd think and it'd be sort of dependent on what is added for more than just residents of the larger complexes (like ground level retail or greenspace opened to the public). LIC is a larger contiguous span of industrial land that was available before reaching large public housing projects or being cut-off by rail and expressways and had an expansive waterfront to develop around. It's also a faster shot to Midtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2020, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
So your so pro this building would you pay $2100 for a small studio a month in a crap neighborhood?

All I have to say is haha fools to the people who are living there.
Are they actually renting those for that amount though or is that just the initial list price? A lot of new construction elsewhere in the city has basically been giving months off the lease in order to keep the initial listing price as is, but with the effective monthly rent being substantially lower. It all sort of depends on what the market will bear and what the finances of the developer/owner actually are. I would think it's impossible that they're actually filling the building up right now without massive concessions that are possibly even greater than that offered elsewhere in new construction in nicer neighborhoods.

Old 10-20-2020, 02:38 PM

1,486 posts, read 974,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Huh. I didn't know that the Brookfield Bankside development was actually already under construction. In that case, yea, this Arches isn't so crazy after all. The Bankside development will block out the river and Manhattan view for a good chunk of the Arches, yes? Ha! They're going to need to drop the effective rent even further.
The Arches block the view of The Joinery over on 138th and they still selling for $500K

http://www.thejoinerycondominiums.com/index.html

Old 10-20-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
The Arches block the view of The Joinery over on 138th and they still selling for $500K

http://www.thejoinerycondominiums.com/index.html
That's a good point as was the previous one. I think there's a notable difference though as I believe the Bankside development is just the next block over from the Arches rather than several blocks over. 900 feet away versus 200 feet away is a different degree of obstruction.

It's interesting that it looks like only a handful of units are for sale there.

Old 10-20-2020, 08:46 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,332,005 times
At least there's parking.

Old 10-20-2020, 09:29 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,598,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
That's a good point as was the previous one. I think there's a notable difference though as I believe the Bankside development is just the next block over from the Arches rather than several blocks over. 900 feet away versus 200 feet away is a different degree of obstruction.

It's interesting that it looks like only a handful of units are for sale there.
This looks like the building on Streeteasy.

If website is to be believed 3 out of 47 units on the sales market and 1 active rental listing. More interesting is 32 past rental listings for a building completed in 2018. A couple repeats on that list but it appears roughly half the 'owners' are investors looking to make a profit from rental tenants.

Also all those past rental listings are either close to or above $2000 p/month. So people are paying $2000 - $2500 for a 1-bed in Mott Haven now. Or at least were paying that much prior to COVID.

Old 10-21-2020, 10:02 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,736,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I passed through there on the Deegan and saw it last week. What a crappy location for a "luxury building".
I felt that way about Downtown Brooklyn, near Juniors and that area by Barclay's. Look at it now.

Old 10-21-2020, 10:15 AM

579 posts, read 941,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
I felt that way about Downtown Brooklyn, near Juniors and that area by Barclay's. Look at it now.
Exactly. You need to have vision.

Old 10-21-2020, 01:07 PM

1,486 posts, read 974,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
This looks like the building on Streeteasy.

If website is to be believed 3 out of 47 units on the sales market and 1 active rental listing. More interesting is 32 past rental listings for a building completed in 2018. A couple repeats on that list but it appears roughly half the 'owners' are investors looking to make a profit from rental tenants.

Also all those past rental listings are either close to or above $2000 p/month. So people are paying $2000 - $2500 for a 1-bed in Mott Haven now. Or at least were paying that much prior to COVID.
It appears they may have purchased the units and renting them out such as AirBB or similar.
But F no, to pay $2000 a month to be on 138th in Mott Haven? Only someone who is not familiar wit the area would do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I passed through there on the Deegan and saw it last week. What a crappy location for a "luxury building".
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrang View Post
Exactly. You need to have vision.
I wonder what kind of vision someone have while they are zooming by on the Deegan and passing through that area for 5 - 10 seconds instead of actually spending time in the area on foot for a longer period of time.

Last edited by SoullessOne; 10-21-2020 at 01:36 PM..

Old 10-21-2020, 06:07 PM

867 posts, read 405,323 times
All I can say is I remember Downtown Brooklyn way before we even knew the Barclay's Center would be there, when the only skyscraper and tallest building in Brooklyn was 1 Ashland Place.
And all the nearby areas were more or less shady and affordable, including Downtown itself, it was ran down.
With the proximity to Harlem that already went that way I don't see why it would be different, once Covid is over and the recovery comes back in full effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City